PDA

View Full Version : Keep Lani Minella as the voice of Nancy Drew

Dare_To_PlayND
November 13th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Lani Minella has provided the iconic voice of Nancy Drew since the very beginning. That's fifteen years. And now she's been fired. That is just unacceptable. Not only is it a huge blow to the fanbase, but it's extremely disrespectful to Lani. Fifteen years of service and this is her reward? Awful. I think Lani should be rehired. I know for a fact that if anything, a new voice actress will cause a tremendous drop in sales. Lani is our Nancy. No one can replace her. HeR obviously isn't gonna rehire her if we don't give them a reason to. So let's do this. Let's get our Nancy back!!

Royal Payne
November 13th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Completely agreed! :thumbsup2

Haley
November 13th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Isn't it actually 16 years? 1998-2014?

Anyway, I agree. Lani, imo, always did so well as Nancy. I don't know why HeR wants to replace her.

Ndfan1234
November 13th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I agree! She embodies Nancy Drew!

disneygirl12
November 13th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Agreed 100%. :yessmiley

KoKo_fan
November 14th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Lani Minella will always be a part of the Her Interactive family and we will continue to enjoy a tremendous working relationship with her. We hope to maintain this fantastic creative partnership for many years to come albeit in a different capacity than in the past. Itís too early for us to announce the new voice of Nancy Drew but as soon as we have made that selection we will make a formal introduction to all our fans.

:detective:

Lost+Dreaming
November 14th, 2014, 09:21 AM
No disrespect meant, but we are upset about Lani no longer voicing Nancy Drew. Thus, to say that she will continue to be a part of the HER team "albeit in a different capacity than in the past" is not a helpful response.

Dare_To_PlayND
November 14th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Ok HeR, I'm probably gonna come off as rude here, but will you please just give us an answer that you took time to think out and type instead of that copy and paste message?! It's not doing anything other than making us more annoyed than we already are. I think we can all agree that you owe us an explaination. Big time. Please, we just wanna know why you did what you did

paperstreet
November 14th, 2014, 10:04 AM
that cut and paste response about Lani being forever part of the Her family is also the same response they are giving to every facebook post. This is the type of things that all corporations write when they make an unpopular decision. I doubt Lani will be doing any voice work for Her in the future.

Her used to be a kind of cool, indie company, now it just seems like all their responses are written by lawyers and totally corporate. Also I have tried to post to other threads on this subject, and my responses are being censored : ( this has never happened before. I wonder how many other people's posts arent being posted.

KoKo_fan
November 14th, 2014, 04:12 PM
that cut and paste response about Lani being forever part of the Her family is also the same response they are giving to every facebook post. This is the type of things that all corporations write when they make an unpopular decision. I doubt Lani will be doing any voice work for Her in the future.

Her used to be a kind of cool, indie company, now it just seems like all their responses are written by lawyers and totally corporate. Also I have tried to post to other threads on this subject, and my responses are being censored : ( this has never happened before. I wonder how many other people's posts arent being posted.

Hi paperstreet, your post was not censored. The post contained a link to an outside site which was removed because this is a violation of the message board rules.

Tedbear2
November 14th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Lani Minella has provided the iconic voice of Nancy Drew since the very beginning. That's fifteen years. And now she's been fired. That is just unacceptable. Not only is it a huge blow to the fanbase, but it's extremely disrespectful to Lani. Fifteen years of service and this is her reward? Awful. I think Lani should be rehired. I know for a fact that if anything, a new voice actress will cause a tremendous drop in sales. Lani is our Nancy. No one can replace her. HeR obviously isn't gonna rehire her if we don't give them a reason to. So let's do this. Let's get our Nancy back!!

I agree. Lani Minella is a HUGE voice talent, and I am VERY disappointed (incredulous, really) that Her Interactive would think replacing her to be a good move on their part. Lani has done voiceovers for dozens, hundreds even, of games other than Nancy Drew, and all done to perfection. To get rid of Lani Minella is beyond foolishness; the company is incredibly lucky and fortunate to have had her doing the voicework for Nancy Drew for so long. I can't even begin to imagine why anyone could have so much as even contemplated replacing her, let alone actually doing it. It's just outrageous.

I'm the biggest Nancy Drew games fan there is, but I have to say that this is absolutely, without a doubt, the worst decision that Her Interactive has ever made. What on earth are they thinking???

mysterylover11
November 14th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Sign me up please!

Disappointed doesn't begin to express how I feel about this. I know for a fact that she should've been treated better. She has given her talent to Nancy, as well as other characters, and helped the company extremely. When I read a Nancy Drew book, I hear Lani Minella's voice. She perfectly embodies Nancy Drew, and I can't imagine anyone replacing her.

While I understand HeR may want to try experimenting and broadening their games (I have heard that sales have gone down), this is the worst possible way to do so.

And, I'm pretty sure Megan Gaiser wouldn't approve of this. Just putting that out there.

Royal Payne
November 14th, 2014, 07:41 PM
No disrespect meant, but we are upset about Lani no longer voicing Nancy Drew. Thus, to say that she will continue to be a part of the HER team "albeit in a different capacity than in the past" is not a helpful response.
Ditto.

Ok HeR, I'm probably gonna come off as rude here, but will you please just give us an answer that you took time to think out and type instead of that copy and paste message?! It's not doing anything other than making us more annoyed than we already are. I think we can all agree that you owe us an explaination. Big time. Please, we just wanna know why you did what you did
Ditto.

Her used to be a kind of cool, indie company, now it just seems like all their responses are written by lawyers and totally corporate.
Ditto.

This is also the EXACT SAME response being given on the Amateur Sleuth blog as well. I also mean no disrespect, but I'm sick of seeing the same message over and over again. It isn't addressing our concerns. I thought that HeR was better than this. It's really making me question the new leadership... :grin:

ndtwister
November 14th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Sign me up please!

Disappointed doesn't begin to express how I feel about this. I know for a fact that she should've been treated better. She has given her talent to Nancy, as well as other characters, and helped the company extremely. When I read a Nancy Drew book, I hear Lani Minella's voice. She perfectly embodies Nancy Drew, and I can't imagine anyone replacing her.

While I understand HeR may want to try experimenting and broadening their games (I have heard that sales have gone down), this is the worst possible way to do so.

And, I'm pretty sure Megan Gaiser wouldn't approve of this. Just putting that out there.

Couldn't agree more. She has been making it clear on her twitter that she was fired. I just don't understand why HeR thinks this will boost sales. If anything, a lot of people might leave. I just don't understand their logic.

This is also the EXACT SAME response being given on the Amateur Sleuth blog as well. I also mean no disrespect, but I'm sick of seeing the same message over and over again. It isn't addressing our concerns. I thought that HeR was better than this. It's really making me question the new leadership... :grin:

Couldn't agree more. Giving that message doesn't say anything or give any information at all. I thought HeR was better than that. I know they want to make sales, but HeR Nancy Drew games are #1 every year in units and they sell 9 million units world wide. It's not like things weren't going well. But after the past few games, I heard (from another sleuth on this board) that sales have gone down. Do they really think that changing Nancy's voice will help anything? No. Her voice has nothing to do with sales going down. It's because of all the new changes that have been made and lack of plot. A drastic change that will make lots of fans walk away, will only make things worse.

And just saying, no disrespect meant, saying that someone who is being fired will always be part of the HeR family, really doesn't sound like family to me.

Ndfan1234
November 14th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Ditto.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Ditto to all these dittos! :) HeR, I love you, you have made 31 AWESOME games, but this response is not what we deserve. Any news with the Twitter party today guys?

Tedbear2
November 14th, 2014, 07:56 PM
I attended the Twitter party today and, unless I missed something, there was no mention of Lani Minella and the discontinuation of her voicework as Nancy Drew.

I really hope that HER doesn't just try to sweep this under the carpet like it's no big deal. It's a very big deal to get rid of the star of the ND games for the past 15-16 years. And, for me, Lani Minella is synonymous with Nancy Drew and I expect a real explanation. I will be extremely disappointed with Her Interactive if no real and understandable explanation (i.e., an explanation that makes sense) isn't forthcoming.

nancycluedrew
November 14th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Same. I really hope HER addresses this. They don't have to tell us everything, but I hope they can explain why this has happened, and what is meant by "needing a bigger audience and trying different things" (to quote Lani). I think these are things that need to be explained.

Royal Payne
November 14th, 2014, 08:34 PM
The only reason that I and my dad (he isn't a fan of the games, but I asked for his input anyways :p:) can come up with is that they are trying to find someone else who will do the voice for less money or something. But this doesn't really make much sense because they will probably loose more money by not having Lani's voice since many fans (including myself) are debating whether to even buy a game without her voice. This all doesn't make any sense. :spineyes: If something isn't broken, why try to fix it?

As you guys have said: We deserve a better explaination!

Edit: Spent too much time composing my post. :p: So the hashtag didn't trend? That's sad... :blueface:

Tedbear2
November 14th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Reading over the posts on Facebook on this issue, Her Interactive said this (as part of a response to a lengthy post about the wish that Lani Minella would not be replaced):

"We always have the best interests of our fans in mind."

Sad to say, I have a hard time believing this now. Getting rid of THE Nancy Drew for the past 15-16 years - please tell me, how does this show a concern for the best interests of the players?

Rather, I feel that by doing what they have done, it demonstrates a total contradiction of their above statement.

Royal Payne
November 14th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Reading over the posts on Facebook on this issue, Her Interactive said this (as part of a response to a lengthy post about the wish that Lani Minella would not be replaced):

Sad to say, I have a hard time believing this now. Getting rid of THE Nancy Drew for the past 15-16 years - please tell me, how does this show a concern for the best interests of the players?

Rather, I feel that by doing what they have done, it demonstrates a total contradiction of their above statement.
Agreed completely. :thumbsup2 If they think they have 'the best interests of the fans in mind', then perhaps they should take a look at this thread and the petition and rethink that statement. All they've done is devastate us. :blueface:

Miley133
November 15th, 2014, 07:41 AM

YES!! This decision makes me feel like they couldn't care less about us, our opinions, the character of Nancy or Lani Minella. For a company that claims to listen to their fans and care about them so much, they aren't listening and I feel betrayed and sick to my stomach over this. This is NOT okay and NOBODY is happy about this decision.

--Derek

Ndfan1234
November 15th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I agree! They do not have our best interests at heart now! I even thought of that exact same expression, Penelope! If something isn't broke, don't fix it :P

I too am debating whether I will buy ND33. We'll have to see when we get there. But the more silence we have from HeR, the more I will not want to continue, and that devastates me.

Marsa
November 15th, 2014, 08:49 AM

What what what. Which fans are they talking about? I've actually seen tons of posts on Facebook from fans who say that ND 32 shall be their last.
The least we deserve is a proper explanation.

~Purple

MoMiMaMa
November 21st, 2014, 02:56 PM
Lani Minella is Nancy Drew to many of us who own all of the games. She is a wonderful talent. Even becoming other voices - parrot in Blackmoor Manor. Would like to know what Ms. Minella's intake is on this. Did she have any say? It is unfortunate that HerInteractive has decided to shelve her like an old game.:eek:

NDsolver<3
November 21st, 2014, 03:02 PM
I will miss Lani every much!
I can't think of anyone else to be the voice for Nancy! but I hope HeR picks a good person for Nancy's new voice actor!

SuperSonik
November 21st, 2014, 10:03 PM
If this is a petition, Sign me up I completely agree

Sensible
November 29th, 2014, 11:32 AM
If this is a petition, Sign me up I completely agree

Yes! Same here!

magovani
January 5th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Okay, that does it. I've just found out about this and I'm completely aghast.

I've stuck with HeR Interactive through various changes, some of which have been tolerable and others I haven't cared for at all. Remember when Nancy's theme music disappeared? Back then, at least HeR was good enough to listen to fans and put it back.

I've stuck with HeR through recent games of uneven quality, including clunkers such as The Shattered Medallion.

In the old days, I'd buy new Nancy Drew games without knowing anything about them. Such was the strength of my faith in HeR Interactive to consistently turn out quality games. I was never disappointed.

When quality started to waiver, I still bought Nancy Drew games. Some had that old spark that makes the games so special; others have been disappointing. I currently have every game except Labyrinth of Lies.

Recently, I started re-playing some of the older games. I haven't played them in years, and I'd forgotten how wonderful they are. They may have clunky interfaces but IMO, they're superior to the Nancy Drew games of today.

Back to the issue at hand, it's one thing if this is Lani Minella's decision. But somehow, I don't think it is. If it isn't, HeR Interactive is hitting way below the belt, not to mention slapping loyal fans right in the face.

To me, Lani is Nancy Drew. Nancy's voice isn't broken, but it appears that HeR Interactive is going to fix it anyway. Well, that'll be it for me. I'm through sticking with HeR Interactive. If Lani Minella goes, so do I.

SleuthinItOut
January 5th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Okay, that does it. I've just found out about this and I'm completely aghast.

I've stuck with HeR Interactive through various changes, some of which have been tolerable and others I haven't cared for at all. Remember when Nancy's theme music disappeared? Back then, at least HeR was good enough to listen to fans and put it back.

I've stuck with HeR through recent games of uneven quality, including clunkers such as The Shattered Medallion.

In the old days, I'd buy new Nancy Drew games without knowing anything about them. Such was the strength of my faith in HeR Interactive to consistently turn out quality games. I was never disappointed.

When quality started to waiver, I still bought Nancy Drew games. Some had that old spark that makes the games so special; others have been disappointing. I currently have every game except Labyrinth of Lies.

Recently, I started re-playing some of the older games. I haven't played them in years, and I'd forgotten how wonderful they are. They may have clunky interfaces but IMO, they're superior to the Nancy Drew games of today.

Back to the issue at hand, it's one thing if this is Lani Minella's decision. But somehow, I don't think it is. If it isn't, HeR Interactive is hitting way below the belt, not to mention slapping loyal fans right in the face.

To me, Lani is Nancy Drew. Nancy's voice isn't broken, but it appears that HeR Interactive is going to fix it anyway. Well, that'll be it for me. I'm through sticking with HeR Interactive. If Lani Minella goes, so do I.

Good points, unfortunately Lani has for sure been asked to leave/fired by HER. She posted a lot about it on her twitter page and responded to many loyal fans. HER says they want to "take a new direction" and that new direction already looks like its going to be bad. Seems as if your like me and many others in that we dont want a "new direction" but have been longing for the old one. :frown:

magovani
January 6th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Good points, unfortunately Lani has for sure been asked to leave/fired by HER. She posted a lot about it on her twitter page and responded to many loyal fans. HER says they want to "take a new direction" and that new direction already looks like its going to be bad. Seems as if your like me and many others in that we dont want a "new direction" but have been longing for the old one. :frown:
I apologize if I sound harsh, but I still feel sick and livid about this. I feel worse about it today than I did yesterday, in fact. It's almost as if I'm going to be losing a very good friend.

HeR has already taken one "new direction." As far as I'm concerned, they went right off a cliff with MED. This is the main reason I haven't bought LIE. I no longer trust HeR Interactive and at this point, I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere. Loss of trust is one of the worst things that can happen in a relationship, and once it's lost, it can be difficult (if not impossible) to get back.

I'm unable to even guess what HeR is trying to do to poor Nancy. Why mess with success? They seem to be taking a winning formula and tossing it right out the window.

And now, the imminent departure of Lani Minella will be casting a pall over LIE and the upcoming Sea of Darkness. I'm not sure I'll even be playing them. I feel utterly betrayed by HeR Interactive. I never imagined they could do something like this.

I definitely don't intend to play any Nancy Drew games in which Lani doesn't voice Nancy. HeR can just go off in its "new direction." I'll be going out the door and I won't be back. At least I'll have the earlier games to replay and enjoy. I'm especially grateful for that now.

Shame on you for what you're doing, HeR Interactive. Shame, shame, shame.

NDsolver<3
January 6th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Agreed with what Magovani said!

Tedbear2
January 6th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I feel utterly betrayed by HeR Interactive. I never imagined they could do something like this.

I've known about this decision since November, and I still feel upset by it - I don't think that will ever change.

SleuthinItOut
January 6th, 2015, 07:10 AM
I agree that HER has really declined in their games and it was an especially poor decision to get rid of such an awesome voice actor. I really do feel like the new CEO and possibly some people in the company either did not like the old games, which is hard to believe, or they just never played them and got to know the Nancy us fans/customers knew and loved. The second belief seems a lot more believable to me. Although I'm not saying it has to be true, it just makes sense to me as to why the newer games feel so lackluster.

DolphinStarr
January 6th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I'm unable to even guess what HeR is trying to do to poor Nancy. Why mess with success? They seem to be taking a winning formula and tossing it right out the window.

And now, the imminent departure of Lani Minella will be casting a pall over LIE and the upcoming Sea of Darkness. I'm not sure I'll even be playing them. I feel utterly betrayed by HeR Interactive. I never imagined they could do something like this.

I definitely don't intend to play any Nancy Drew games in which Lani doesn't voice Nancy. HeR can just go off in its "new direction." I'll be going out the door and I won't be back. At least I'll have the earlier games to replay and enjoy. I'm especially grateful for that now.

Magovani, you have an excellent grasp of writing succently and clearly. Thank you for your truthful statements on this matter. I wanted to add to this point, as I did similarly on the other thread. With this change, which seems sadly to be unchangeable, there is no longer the ND Adventure Series #1-#32. It will be a new series of Nancy Drew Games, because of the "new direction" so they better rebrand it as such. Otherwise, it will be a major downgrade to the series and insult to those who enjoy the multitude of games before. And possibly, a given disappointment to those who had knowledge and/or interest in the games due to recommendations. Which in turn after Lani's last game, they will be presented with, "what? who? why?". I guess we'll just have to wait and see. . .

magovani
January 6th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Magovani, you have an excellent grasp of writing succently and clearly. Thank you for your truthful statements on this matter. I wanted to add to this point, as I did similarly on the other thread. With this change, which seems sadly to be unchangeable, there is no longer the ND Adventure Series #1-#32. It will be a new series of Nancy Drew Games, because of the "new direction" so they better rebrand it as such. Otherwise, it will be a major downgrade to the series and insult to those who enjoy the multitude of games before. And possibly, a given disappointment to those who had knowledge and/or interest in the games due to recommendations. Which in turn after Lani's last game, they will be presented with, "what? who? why?". I guess we'll just have to wait and see. . .

Wow, thanks for the compliment, DolphinStarr!

Maybe they should call the first game after Lani's departure Nancy Who?The Mystery of the Vanishing Voice.

nancycluedrew
January 6th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I agree that HER has really declined in their games and it was an especially poor decision to get rid of such an awesome voice actor. I really do feel like the new CEO and possibly some people in the company either did not like the old games, which is hard to believe, or they just never played them and got to know the Nancy us fans/customers knew and loved. The second belief seems a lot more believable to me. Although I'm not saying it has to be true, it just makes sense to me as to why the newer games feel so lackluster.

I find it hard to believe they don't like the older games - The new CEO herself says in the about me section, DAN is her favourite, and that's an older game. Also, the CEO worked for ten years on the board of directors of HER Interactive before becoming CEO. I think she knows the company pretty well, and the games themselves very well. I think HER has been trying new things out, and personally, I liked the direction they went in for SPY, and GTH - Those two felt like the older games while still being very modern. LIE is also very good, and reminded me of SSH, but again, felt very modern and fresh. I wish they would just stick to that, rather than changing Nancy's voice, and other things. Just focus on the path they're already on.

AnimeMonkee
April 21st, 2015, 07:51 AM
HeRinteractive,

I have been a fan of the Nancy Drew games since I was a kid and through all those years I have played (and enjoyed) every Nancy Drew game you've made.
I've understood the changes you've made over the years and I also understand that change is needed, especially since it has been around for so long. (If you stick with the same thing over and over again it can get very boring very quick) While others have complained, I've seen the new games as another fun adventure with my favorite female detective and I love that you are putting a lot more emotion into the newer ones. (the older games were almost entirely about the mystery and the puzzles while the new ones are a lot more about the characters and their motivations)

But I do think it would be wise for you to give the fans a full explanation as to why you decided to get a new voice actress for Nancy.
When people don't understand something or they feel that something is being kept from them they tend to feel upset or betrayed. Some people are going to be angry whenever there is change. (humans hate change) That's unavoidable. But not fully explaining your reason behind it so that the fans understand why it's happening will only give rise to unnecessary confusion and anger.

I will continue to buy your games. I will always be a fan of them. And I wish whoever ends up voicing Nancy Drew in the future the best of luck.
But if you are truly worried about not having enough sales, than like I said, give the fans a full and detailed explanation. Or better yet. On your YouTube channel make a video that answers the fans' questions about it. If you do this, I guarantee that you will get a very positive response.

I hope that you will read this and take my words into consideration. I only want to help and watch your awesome games continue on and grow. If you never read this, than at least I tried.

~AnimeMonkee

rjmj
April 21st, 2015, 07:00 PM
I agree with AnimeMonkee that there should be a more detailed explanation for the change. The situation kind of reminds me of a mother who says to her child "because I said so" and the kid never knows the real reason behind it. :purplelau But all in all, I'll roll with changes as long as the games in concept generally stay the same and continue in production.

DPL_93
April 21st, 2015, 07:31 PM
Since Lani it wasn't for financial reasons or personal reasons just that HeR wanted "different direction" it makes no sense at all to get rid of her. If they wanted something different she could change her voice up. If you compare SKC with LIE they are different the voice of Nancy has changed over the years.

Personally I think HeR have done this for financial reasons, the same reason they got rid of employees and outsourced. But they think they can convince us with the "Different/New Direction" story. I feel like HeR is trying to convince us what we want instead of asking us.

Honestly I can put up with all the changes HeR has made of the years because things can't stay the same for ever, but HeR getting rid of Lani has actually made me think twice about continuing to buy the games. I will be buying SEA but after that I'm not so sure.

Tator_Tot
May 15th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I apologize if I sound harsh, but I still feel sick and livid about this. I feel worse about it today than I did yesterday, in fact. It's almost as if I'm going to be losing a very good friend.

HeR has already taken one "new direction." As far as I'm concerned, they went right off a cliff with MED. This is the main reason I haven't bought LIE. I no longer trust HeR Interactive and at this point, I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere. Loss of trust is one of the worst things that can happen in a relationship, and once it's lost, it can be difficult (if not impossible) to get back.

Exactly HeR, stop messing with success! You are going to lose so many loyal customers! I, too, feel very betrayed, I never thought this would happen.