Thread: Stay Tuned For Danger on Vista

Registered User Amateur Sleuth cake77's Avatar

Stay Tuned For Danger on Vista

I tried to install Stay Tuned For Danger on my computer which runs on Vista. I tried the making a new folder sending it there then run in compatibility mode thing and it still does not work. When I start the game it says that it cannot play the sounds for me and that it changed the way it runs the sound and I cannot play the game because of it. Is there anything that I can do to get this game to work on my comp.?

..........................__
    .....,......Cake77......," e`--o
    ....((..................(..| __,'
    .....\\~----------------'\_;/
    .....(...................../
    ...../) ._______________. )
    ....(( (...............(( (
    .....``-'...............``-'
    ©ssk8r7

Administrator Super Sleuth BunVac 6000's Avatar
    The sound error is unfortunately a compatibility issue with newer systems:

Originally Posted by BunVac 6000
    The first two titles, SCK and STFD, were originally designed to be compatible with earlier operating systems (Windows 95/98/ME and 2000) a decade ago. As technology changes, Her is required to change the games to keep current with today's computers. This unfortunately means that these older games are not compatible with Windows XP and Vista. While the workarounds are generally successful, HER cannot guarantee or support games playing on non-compatible systems. Vista in particular changed the way it reads and plays sound, and this results in the sound engine error. The sound files for the first two games are in such an old format that they cannot play on some new computers. The game requires sound cues to progress, which is why the game crashed when turning the sound off. To fix this would most likely require redeveloping the game's sound system, which would prevent any other new games from being designed and released. The best thing to do would be to try and find an older computer to play the first two games.

Registered User Master Sleuth American Girl 2's Avatar
    This worked for me:

Hi!

While our older games are not completely Windows Vista compliant (notably games #1-13), there is a workaround which has been successful for most players. Please take the following steps to manually install.

If you had previously installed, uninstall the game and then delete all remaining game file folders from your computer, including emptying them out of your Recycle Bin. These files may be in one of the following locations:

C:\Nancy Drew\
    C:\Program Files\Nancy Drew\
    In your Documents folder: C:\Users\Username\Documents\

Once this is done, make sure you’re logged on as an Administrator for your computer and manually install by taking the following steps:

1. Go to your ‘Documents’ folder and create a new folder. Rename the folder with the title of the game.

2. Insert game Disk 1 in your disk drive and open ‘Computer’ from the ‘Start’ menu.

3. Double-click on your CD-Rom/DVD drive, look for a Setup or Setup Launcher Installshield file. Double-click this file to start the installation process.

4. When install asks what directory you want your game to install to, click ‘Browse’.

5. Navigate to the game folder you created by selecting ‘C:’ drive, then ‘Users’ (or User name), then ‘Documents’, then select the game folder.

6. Continue forward with the installation process, when asked if you want to install DirectX, check “No, I will install myself”.

7. Upon completion, uncheck the ‘Play Now’ box, click finish and exit setup.

For game titles #1-5, follow these three additional steps:

1. Right-click the game icon that is now on your desktop, select ‘Properties’.

2. Under ‘Properties’, click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab.

3. Check the ‘Run in Compatibility Mode’ box and then select ‘Windows 98/Me’ from the drop-down menu.

You should now be able to open and play the game. If you installed an older version of DirectX with the game, please go to Microsoft's Download Center to download and install the latest version of DirectX for your version of Windows.

Regards,

Aaron, HER Interactive Technical Support

HIH!
    Last edited by ~ Jinkies Nancy! ~; June 2nd, 2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Edited because color was difficult to read
    Normal is soo OVERATED «, ¸ ¸ ,.o´¯))
    ;meggie

meggie!

naaaaancy drew faaaaaaaaannnnnn since 2006! whoooo!

my last year of high school! class of 2012!

яσαd bεнind тнe sun ;-¤

Registered User Amateur Sleuth Yurithecat's Avatar
    I have tried all of that, too. None of it works. It's always says the same message. Do I have to go out and buy a new game? Does HER give you a new one? I'm sure they wouldn't, I just thought to ask just in case.
    Signature Loading
    50%There
    |||||||||||||||||||||
    ©

Rep Points Appreciated

Administrator Super Sleuth BunVac 6000's Avatar
    Unfortunately the error message is being caused by the compatibility issue with the game and the computer components, so exchanging the discs for another copy won't resolve the error. Since your computer is so new (which is great for recent games!), it just can't play the older files in the first two games. You'll need to play these two games on another (older) computer.

Registered User Amateur Sleuth Yurithecat's Avatar
    OK, thanks!
    Signature Loading
    50%There
    |||||||||||||||||||||
    ©

Rep Points Appreciated