Thread: ERROR - incorrect path to INI file

Registered User Amateur Sleuth

ERROR - incorrect path to INI file

I installed Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch on my kids' laptop. I can run the program when logged in as Administrator but when they log in as Limited Users and click on the program icon, the following error pops up:

ERROR - incorrect path to INI file - C:\Nancy Drew\Secret of Shadow Ranch

This is the correct path to the program. I am running Windows XP Express on a Gateway W340UA. How do users with Limited User privileges use this program?

Registered User Master Sleuth
    I had the same problem, but I think if you uninstall it and reinstall it or restart the computer it works.

HIH!

~Misty
    WhERE TO, MisS?
    To TheStars.
    ©rm1230

Possible resolution to ERROR - incorrect path to INI file - C:\Nancy Drew\

It was mentioned that the install of the games might work if when you install the game under Windows Vista, instead of allowing the game to automatically install when the DVD is inserted into the DVD drive, cancel the install dialog, open up the folder on the DVD where the SETUP.EXE file is located, right click and select "Run As Administrator", there will be a prompt to allow SETUP.EXE to run, select "Allow", as you click thru the screens of the installer, there will be a screen that asks you the directory or path where you want to install the game.

The next is what I found I had to do additionally to resolve my problem.

By default what I am seeing is "C:\Nancy Drew\Message in a Haunted Mansion\". The multiple times I have installed and uninstalled, I get the same INI file. I used a little SystInternal utility to figure out if the game had a problem with this pat or not under Windows Vista and sure enough it did. So, I did an install as Administrator and typed in a different install directory , "C:\program files\Nancy Drew\Message in a Haunted Mansion\". The game played immediately.

I bet this is the solution for other nancy Drew games, as well. I do not have other games available currently, but should be able to test these out in another week and can report back.

Try it out:
    1. open up the folder on the DVD where the SETUP.EXE file is located, right click and select "Run As Administrator", there will be a prompt to allow SETUP.EXE to run, select "Allow", as you click thru the screens of the installer,
    2. instead of the defaul install directory, type in a different install directory , "C:\program files\Nancy Drew\Message in a Haunted Mansion\".

Registered User Sleuth
    Thank you SO MUCH Dave!
    I was trying to install a ND in my laptop, that runs Vista, and this was the second game in which I got the INI error.
    Your solution was perfect and fixed my problem at the first try, so thank you very much!
    Just why do they say have a nice day, anyway?
    We both know they wouldn’t mind
    if I just curled up and died
    Oh, let’s not give that one a try

Chin up, put on a pair of these rosies, raise those blinds
    Chin up, a happy mask was never your best disguise
    Chin up, put on a pair of these rosies, in no time
    You will feel almost fine

You rock! Thank you! I thought I was never going to be able to play the classics again!

omg thank you so much! (i know this isnt my post but i had to :-))
    S.M.I.L.E

YAY thank you
    o o
    /"""""""""""""\
    / $ $
    \________/
    !_____________!
    pig!

I've tried doing that at least 30 times, and it still comes up with the same error message. I'm trying to run Creature of Kapu cave, can anybody go into more detail? Please?

Administrator Super Sleuth
    Sometimes the uninstall program doesn't remove all the game folders. Tech Support has some more detailed information on their web pages about this .ini error. After deleting any remaining game folders, you might want to go to Start and then Search. Type in Kapu (or any phrase/keyword from the game title) under file/folder names. I've found game files this way even after I thought everything was deleted. Sure enough, they were causing the .ini error when I tried to reinstall.

Another thing to check is to make sure the discs are clean - a scratch or fingerprint smudge could prevent a file from installing and cause the .ini error.

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Unhappy Help!!!!!!!!

I have tried to download Treasure in the Royal Tower. I am getting that message about INI. I have tried some of you suggestion but still it does not work. What next?

Yay, it finally worked! Thank you so much, Dave. :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I am ecstatic!