Thread: CLK installation issue

Super Moderator Super Detective callas's Avatar

CLK installation issue

I've just installed CLK on my Vista computer using the same directions I have used when installing all of the other games on this same computer. I have run into this error.

CSound:Load DIGISound()-Channel 16 error, file E:\CDSound\silence, his, CDDirectSound ()- could not open file, most recent HRESULT DirectSound func Return=DS_OK

Not only have I never gotten this error, I have never SEEN anything like this.

PS-- The disk is older and not in perfect condition. It is clean. I have tried to uninstall it and reinstall with the same result.
    ...........................•*¨―¨*•.
    .•*¨―¨*•.Έ..........Έ.•*¨―¨*•. `•-•*…..)......
    `•-•*......`•.,Έ_Έ,.•΄ `•-•*.....`•.,Έ_Έ,.•΄.....
    callas..........
    .•*¨―¨*•.......Έ.•*¨―¨*•.............•*¨―¨*•..
    ♥ (....*•-•΄....•*¨―¨*•....`•.,Έ_Έ,.•΄.....*•-•΄.....
    ....`•.,Έ_Έ,.•΄ ©LG*•-•΄...............

Registered User Sleuth
    I know I'm not going to be too much help (and I'm sorry for that).. but.. I had something very similar happen to me when my sound card messed up.. and another time when my sound card needed updating.

Do you know which sound card your computer has? Is it compatible with the one that's required with CLK? There are some people who have this problem when putting "older" games (pre-Vista) on a Vista "only" computer (not windowsXP/Vista.. just Vista).

That's where I'd start...
    Hope it helps somehow... Oh.. and yes.. there's a way to get past that problem, if that's the case.. Right click on the desktop icon.. or, if you have it through the start-up box.. not the ND Central.. right click on that.. It should pop up a box that you can re-Configure the game.. That should solve that problem.

I hope this helps you.

If it doesn't.. please don't be mad at me.. I tried.

XXcrossing fingers for you getting it to workXX

--J
    ~~Nancy Drew~~
    She may be old-fashioned, but she's still the most admirable person I know.

You are from
    1950's to 1970's
    With a flare for fashion, you have a very preppy style.
    You are good with authority, but sometimes can't help breaking the rules.
    Your friends' personalities become more detailed.
    What ND era are you from? ©Janelle+Arwen01

I give reps for those who help me. If I've helped you, reps would be appreciated, too.

Registered User Detective
    Quote Originally Posted by callas View Post
    I've just installed CLK on my Vista computer using the same directions I have used when installing all of the other games on this same computer. I have run into this error.
    CSound:Load DIGISound()-Channel 16 error, file E:\CDSound\silence, his, CDDirectSound ()- could not open file, most recent HRESULT DirectSound func Return=DS_OK
    Not only have I never gotten this error, I have never SEEN anything like this.
    PS-- The disk is older and not in perfect condition. It is clean. I have tried to uninstall it and reinstall with the same result.
    Hi Callas!

After doing a search of "HRESULT", I've found that a dozen or so members have posted with the same (or similar) error message. There was one that got a response from Tidus (Please click here to read it.), but it was from 2004 and basically he just suggested reinstalling, which you already tried.

I also found another thread (Please click here to read it.) which suggested the problem may have something to do with Direct X during installation.

Then, of course, there's always the Tech Support page (Please click here to go directly to it.) which tells us that sound related problems almost always lead back to outdated sound card drivers.

And, we certainly can't forget the Tech Support page (Please click here to go directly to it.) which addresses the miriad of problems associated with Vista.

BUT... my (very un-technical) suggestion would be to... please click here to go to the Tech Support page where they explain the process for replacing old and/or damaged discs for free!!!

I had a problem a while ago with the CLK disc, so I sent in my old disc with the $5 shipping charge per the instructions on the Tech page. Well, before I could turn around there was a shinny new CLK disc in my mailbox and it worked perfectly!!! We've played it over and over again very happily ever since! Her Interactive really knows how to treat their customers!

Good Luck!
    Hope you'll be able to get CLK up and running again soon!

P.S. If you do decide to send in your old CLK disc, make sure to keep your original packaging (whether it was boxed or in a CD holder) because when they send a new disc, it's just in a plain white paper CD envelope.

Super Moderator Super Detective callas's Avatar
    Thank you for your replies. Since all other games play well on my computer (which is less than a year old), I am assuming I need a new disk.
    ...........................•*¨―¨*•.
    .•*¨―¨*•.Έ..........Έ.•*¨―¨*•. `•-•*…..)......
    `•-•*......`•.,Έ_Έ,.•΄ `•-•*.....`•.,Έ_Έ,.•΄.....
    callas..........
    .•*¨―¨*•.......Έ.•*¨―¨*•.............•*¨―¨*•..
    ♥ (....*•-•΄....•*¨―¨*•....`•.,Έ_Έ,.•΄.....*•-•΄.....
    ....`•.,Έ_Έ,.•΄ ©LG*•-•΄...............

Administrator Super Sleuth
    One other thing to try in addition to updating the sound and video card drivers is downloading the latest version of DirectX. Otherwise as oldladyNDfan mentioned, you may have a defective disc on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by oldladyNDfan View Post

BUT... my (very un-technical) suggestion would be to... please click here to go to the Tech Support page where they explain the process for replacing old and/or damaged discs for free!!!

I had a problem a while ago with the CLK disc, so I sent in my old disc with the $5 shipping charge per the instructions on the Tech page. Well, before I could turn around there was a shinny new CLK disc in my mailbox and it worked perfectly!!! We've played it over and over again very happily ever since! Her Interactive really knows how to treat their customers!
    **Please note that the Her Interactive replacement disc policy for used discs does cost $5 per game.