• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Codes & Clues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scheherazade View Post
    This is just an extra mobile app. The regualr PC games will still be just as complex (if not more). Also, from what I understand, these games are in accordance with STEM programs (science, tech, engineering, math) so that's why they have to do with coding... Coding is getting more and more common with younger ages & schools, I think HER is just trying to provide fun tools to go along with that

I won't buy them or play them, just wanting to answer your Q's mystprincess :)

Thanks so much for the clarification! I understand *what* it is now, I guess I'm still trying to grasp the *why* I mean aren't there other companies out there creating these games and programs solely (with I'm sure teachers and other child education professionals)?
    I suppose its fine that HeR is exploring new avenues, my worry is just that now they will delay or not spend as much time and resources on the main games if they're creating these new side apps. Especially with all of the silence and no new information about MID in the newsletter. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my hope is HER stays first and foremost an adventure (but happens to have *some* educational elements) game company, if that makes sense.

I'm just an old fuddy duddy, I guess :) I'm not too fond of change, haha.

Comment

I'm sure there are other fun coding games for teachers and such, but any kind of program costs a lot of money, schools themselves aren't making them... So if a teacher decides to incorporate something, they have to look outside.

With that being said, I think these games from HER are more to "keep the learning going at home" through fun games, not actual games that can be used in the classroom... But following STEM guidelines does make them more educational than the ones that don't... If that makes sense.

Originally posted by mystprincess View Post
      I guess what I'm trying to say is that my hope is HER stays first and foremost an adventure (but happens to have *some* educational elements) game company, if that makes sense.
      Oh yes it does make sense, and I think they will. I think part of all of this is that they're a small company, and transitioning platforms for the adventure games takes a long time (because they have to redo everything of MID that they planned on the old platform). I think once MID is released, the company will run like normal. But maybe I'm just super hopeful haha
      Last edited by Scheherazade; December 16, 2015, 04:26 PM.
      "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." -Matthew 7:7

Jeopardy! ND Style! R1 R3 Play my game! Name That ND Animal! A PBM Game

Comment

Originally posted by Scheherazade View Post
        I think once MID is released, the company will run like normal. But maybe I'm just super hopeful haha
        I LOVE the positivity! I need to really adopt that attitude more. Its because I love HeR so much and the Nancy Drew games that I'm so hypersensitive about the changes, haha. I guess I also need to keep in mind that times are a-changin' and more kids are growing up with ipads and apps and everyone owning technology that they can play anywhere. I'm from the generation that it was just spawning computer gaming. We only had one computer in the house growing up so we had to play a game that everyone liked. (Plus I grew up with 3 brothers) It was such a treat when my sister was born and it was right when the "girl-protaganist centered" nancy drew games first came out :) Maybe my scrutiny is more because I'm getting older and the gamers of my time are a dying breed?

Comment

Originally posted by mystprincess View Post
          Maybe I had a weird childhood (this was the 80's-90's) but I remember growing up on games like Myst (hence the username! ) and the Kings Quest Series. Sure they were challenging to play at the time, and my siblings and I asked our parents for help here and there, but we loved spending hours together trying to figure the puzzles out and adventuring. That's what really drew me towards the Nancy Drew series to begin with. It was the perfect combination of the type of games I love along with one of my favorite literary characters. And it was actually hard! Not like most "kid" games out at the time (late 90's early 00's)
          This is very true. I played ND games with my dad and my sister when I was too young to finish them on my own. It was like a family affair, and I never felt the concepts or storylines were too complicated for 8 year old me. This leads me to believe young kids today will still be able to enjoy the games.

I started out playing games like Spy Fox and Pajama Sam, JumpStart -insert grade-, and pretty much every PC game my local library had. These games were in the same format of a Point and Click mystery, but younger. Sort of what I'm hoping Codes and Clues will be. I love that HeR is expanding it's company and brand, but I too have reservations. I don't ever want them to loose focus on the main series.

In risk of going off topic, HeR has already evolved from the gaming company they were when the first ND games came out. When you go back and play, say, Secret of The Scarlet Hand, you'll find Nancy's voice to be high and chipper and honestly to me, incredibly annoying in some parts. The puzzles and themes are sometimes much more mature than the games today (
          like the original SCK ending
          ) This is just to say that we shouldn't hold what the games are right now as our only expectations. The games will continue to evolve, and hopefully with HIKids, the main series will mature into more E-10 type games.

I don't think we should judge it too hard before it comes out.

Also, it really bothers me when people say Nancy is too girly. Girls should not be forced into thinking girly is bad and they must act more like boys to be accepted and taken seriously. Girly ness should be empowering as well as tom boy ness. Hopefully HeR will use Bess and George to show this concept.
          Last edited by Miss.Moonhart; December 17, 2015, 11:39 AM.
          I became insane
          With long intervals
          of terrible
          Sanity
          - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Moonhart View Post

Also, it really bothers me when people say Nancy is too girly. Girls should not be forced into thinking girly is bad and they must act more like boys to be accepted and taken seriously. Girly ness should be empowering as well as tom boy ness. Hopefully HeR will use Bess and George to show this concept.

I totally agree with this, but what I always loved about Nancy was she showed a femininity that was girly but with integrity. She always stood above the crowd. I felt this app was stereotypical girly, kind of Disney channel generic and conformist. For example, Bess has always been "plump" but no one cared, in this app she is stick thin. Not that being thin is bad, but why the change for this character?

I really hope this app makes HeR a lot of money so they can continue the adventure games! HeR did a really good job at taking a kind of tedious subject and making it seem fun.

Comment

So disappointed in Her Interactive

This is great for young children but what about the rest of us? Any plans for another normal Nancy Drew game? Not happy about this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JeniMarie2000 View Post
                This is great for young children but what about the rest of us? Any plans for another normal Nancy Drew game? Not happy about this at all.
                Just to clarify, this is a secondary mobile project. Perhaps even being created by a separate team. There is still a 33rd game being developed for the Nancy Drew series that is likely to be released in Spring/Summer of 2016.

If you would like to know the title, it is:
                Midnight in Salem
                Feel free to look it up online as there have been steady tid-bits being unveiled as HER transitions towards a new game engine for the Adventure series.

Welcome to the boards
                All 32 Cases Closed:
                SCK('98) SCK ('10) STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW CAP ASH TMB DED GTH SPY MED LIE SEA
                ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒʍy ʍeticulous ℛeviews▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ
                LCC RED ₒₒ▫ᵒ TCC

Case In Progress:
                CAP

Check out a book from:
                -▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫´¯`·×-»[иaиcy ∂яεω's lيbяaяy (ℛeʍastered)]--->

"It's Locked" ~ the most frustrating phrase Nancy Drew could ever say!

Comment

I feel very conflicted about this game. On the one hand, I really do like how they are promoting that girls can be into science and computers; it's important for young children to see that jobs/lifestyles/hobbies aren't gender specific.

However, the one big concern I have is that is the game really developmentally appropriate?

After reading the description of the game, it says that players will learn these things:

* Logical thinking
                  * Loops
                  * Pattern recognition
                  * Sequences
                  * Reading skills
                  * Algorithmic thinking
                  * Problem-solving techniques

None of these are bad things to learn; I just am not sure that it's quite developmentally appropriate, especially for the lower end of the age bracket for the target audience (5 year-olds). I realize that the target audience is 5-8, and I think it might be more appropriate for the older end of the age bracket, but I'm still a little leery about it.

I guess a lot of it depends on how they go about teaching these skills, which I have no idea because the trailer didn't give much in that direction in the way of puzzles or how those concepts would be taught.

I'm just thinking that as a future educator of younger children, I'd be hesitant on how much I'd want to use this game/similar games in my classroom because at 5-6 years old, children really should still be playing, exploring, and interacting with their environment and other children so that they have the skills they need as a base for the rest of their learning instead of staring at a phone screen all the time. Technology can be incorporated and useful in this, but at the same time, I feel that academic subjects are being pushed down to the younger grades, but those kids aren't necessarily ready for that material. We're expecting Kindergartners to act, behave, and know what/how First graders act, behave, and know, etc., and that actually can hurt the child's learning more than help it.

Now, I realize that one game isn't going to be the end of the world, and it's up to parents/teachers if they want to buy and use it, but those are just some things I'm concerned about. Otherwise, I'm kind of curious to know how exactly they go about teaching the concepts listed above, and how intense the game play will be. Again, I'm not against what the game is encouraging or teaching, I'm just hesitant in the target audience (especially the younger end of the age bracket) /how the game will be executed.
                  Last edited by keyblade bearer; February 8, 2016, 09:27 AM.
                  .*¯)
                  ...*
                  .(...I have been crucified with Christ.
                  ..*._.*....It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.
                  ..........And the life I now live in the flesh.........
                  .................... I live by faith in the Son of God,
                  ............who loved me and gave himself for me.
                  ...............................-Gal. 2:20

Comment

I like the idea of this app, teaching kids how to code. However, what strikes me as weird is that I never thought of Nancy as a programmer. To me, she would be more into the forensic side of science, not computer software.

I also feel like the target audience of this app is not the same audience of their computer games. If HER was planning on increasing their fans, I don't think this was the right way to do it at all. It doesn't really make sense.

Comment

I do wonder when this game will come out. HeR has been releasing their spring games in May the past four years. SEA was available for preorder and the trailer debuted on April 14, which will be a year ago tomorrow, and yet we have no trailer for this game yet or hint of one. I hope it doesn't take too long.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix star View Post
                        I do wonder when this game will come out. HeR has been releasing their spring games in May the past four years. SEA was available for preorder and the trailer debuted on April 14, which will be a year ago tomorrow, and yet we have no trailer for this game yet or hint of one. I hope it doesn't take too long.
                        I dont know how long it has been this way, but the product page has been updated with character bios and screen shots, which for the pc games happened in the weeks before launch. The buttons are ready (but not active) for purchasing options.

I hope they get it out soon, a game like this is probably good for schools or bad weather, once it is summer vacation I can't see kids wanting to sit around doing coding.

Comment

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
                          I dont know how long it has been this way, but the product page has been updated with character bios and screen shots, which for the pc games happened in the weeks before launch. The buttons are ready (but not active) for purchasing options.

I hope they get it out soon, a game like this is probably good for schools or bad weather, once it is summer vacation I can't see kids wanting to sit around doing coding.
                          However, Summer vacation is probably when teachers check out new stuff for the classroom, and teaching aids and whatnot. I doubt teachers wouldn't play the app themselves to make sure it was suitable for their students.
                          Last edited by emikat80; April 14, 2016, 09:00 AM.
                          Listen, my child, to this story of dreams,
                          And know that the beginning is more difficult than it seems.
                          When the ten daughters are reunited in order,
                          When the four-sided box loses its border,
                          When the eye of the phoenix is in your hand,
                          When the bird of fire can see again,
                          When the moon sleeps and the sun plays,
                          The king of the sky will shine his rays,
                          And hidden beneath a river of colors
                          Will lie a gate to golden wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post

The character bios were always there, but the screenshots are new. I wonder why HeR wouldn't announce this on the blog as soon as they update them.

Comment

I remember seeing most of those screenshots at least a few weeks ago. I think maybe three of them are ones I haven't seen, if that?

And yeah, I'm starting to get curious about where they have been/will be marketing C&C because I'm still not seeing much of anything. I searched for articles the other day and there were maybe two very short ones, on obscure gaming sites, just summarizing the product; that was all that'd been written about it since the beginning of 2016, so almost five months now. I wonder if they're banking on that technology fair in New York to get the word out, or if they're planning to show it at some other event.
                              neverending song
                              2008-2018

So far from me walks your dear self
                              So far from me too is your home
                              to which I can never find my way
                              your fairy tale...

Comment

I'm confused about the school aspect - Do schools have tablets that kids can use? I can't imagine there would be one for every kid though. And I can't see them assigning it as homework because you can't assume every kids would have a tablet at home.

Comment

Working...
                                X