• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Educator Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educator Review

I'm a certified K-6 elementary education/6-12 STEM teacher and I am extremely curious on educator opinions of this game.

In my opinion, the game offers little to no educational value. It's a hidden object/dress up game with a puppy that you have do tricks in a pattern for 1 small section in each chapter. This is not a STEM game and it's embarrassing that HerInteractive is trying to fool school systems into buying the program.

The actual adventure games teach problem solving, patterns, cause and effect, history and in some cases STEM. There are definitely some advantages to bringing the actual adventure games into the classroom - but C&C? I would never.

I'm so disappointed as I pressed my school system to purchase C&C for the classroom only for us to try it on one device and them to find it a non-STEM game. I sincerely hope HerInteractive improves the next "chapter" because with so many free websites that provide educators the tools to actually teach students to code, C&C is not up to par.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Originally posted by Kissandra View Post
    I'm a certified K-6 elementary education/6-12 STEM teacher and I am extremely curious on educator opinions of this game.

In my opinion, the game offers little to no educational value. It's a hidden object/dress up game with a puppy that you have do tricks in a pattern for 1 small section in each chapter. This is not a STEM game and it's embarrassing that HerInteractive is trying to fool school systems into buying the program.

The actual adventure games teach problem solving, patterns, cause and effect, history and in some cases STEM. There are definitely some advantages to bringing the actual adventure games into the classroom - but C&C? I would never.

I'm so disappointed as I pressed my school system to purchase C&C for the classroom only for us to try it on one device and them to find it a non-STEM game. I sincerely hope HerInteractive improves the next "chapter" because with so many free websites that provide educators the tools to actually teach students to code, C&C is not up to par.

Does anyone else feel this way?
    If my child was wasting time in school playing games like this I would be annoyed. When I was in school, we would have got detention for doing things like this in class time. Maybe for a very young person, like 5-7 years old, the basic concepts of programming may be interesting (but there really wasnt enough, or enough variety, to make it worthwhile). The programming was the same over each level, it never grew in complexity.

For 8 years and above, they should be on to more complex concepts, also kids above 8 would probably be embarrassed and resentful of having to play such a babyish game, and would get nothing out of it.

What grades did they give this to in your school? Were the boys put off by the dress up stuff? Was it too girly for them? Or did you only give it to girls to play? Is it very expensive for schools to buy? Thanks, it is interesting to see a teachers view!

Comment

I agree. I found nothing wrong with the game itself other than how they keep marketing it as an educational game (even in the title!) when it's less educational than the adventure games. And ironically, because they market it as educational rather than good plain fun, more people are going to be turned off by it.

Comment

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post

For 8 years and above, they should be on to more complex concepts, also kids above 8 would probably be embarrassed and resentful of having to play such a babyish game, and would get nothing out of it.

What grades did they give this to in your school? Were the boys put off by the dress up stuff? Was it too girly for them? Or did you only give it to girls to play? Is it very expensive for schools to buy? Thanks, it is interesting to see a teachers view!
        We never actually got far enough to allow it in the school. The county administration were not impressed enough to purchase. Also, the games we use have some quantitative measurement of progress beyond gold stars for completion. These are necessary not just for teacher research, but to allow student to feel progress.

Comment

Working...
        X