• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Codes and Clues TV Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codes and Clues TV Series

It seems HER may be working on creating a C&C tv series. What are your thoughts on this? The game itself seems very juvenile (geared toward very young elementary students) so I wonder what the target audience for the show will be. Based on the game, I assume it would be for what typically 3-5 year olds enjoy watching (lots of bright colors, Nancy asks a question and then stares at the screen for a few seconds waiting for you to answer her, etc). Basically, too simple for an 8 year old to enjoy. Or do you think they'll go a more original scooby doo route where the audience is a bit older, but a younger child may enjoy watching without understanding what is really going on? Either way, I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but that is personal taste.
    Last edited by hedgie; September 15, 2016, 02:48 AM. Reason: Mod's Note: Moved to correct board.

I think this sounds awesome! I loved (and still do sometimes) watching some cartoon children shows on a channel targeted for preschoolers when I was growing up. There is another show I loved on a different channel too.

Anyway, I think this would be awesome and someone did ask about MID. Looks like there's a lot of multitasking in HeR! I like to multitask too...
    ~ MD12 ~

Comment

I can still enjoy cartoons geared toward older children like scooby doo, but I have very young nephews that I watch the very young shows with and I think they're so obnoxious to sit through. The big difference I think is when they ask the viewer for help finding something. I couldn't stand those shows as a 7 year old and I hate sitting through them now. I didn't realize C&C already had some shorts out. I guess the show will be like those.

Comment

I'm definitely interested to see what this turns into, but I'm also really disappointed at HeR for how they're handling fan reactions. If this is supposed to be a show for a younger audience, you would think that they would be cautious to keep fan reactions on the Facebook page that have cuss words...instead they are liking those posts? I don't understand...

Super intrigued by the show announcement. Super disappointed with the company for encouraging hateful sounding posts, even though the posts are being hateful towards others while supporting HeR. I don't know how I feel about supporting a company that actively seems to support bullying of others. I've been a super loyal fan, but this whole thing is starting to be just really disappointing.
        ......................................MaEbelLe
        .¸.·*¨¯¨*·."A mask of sweet sincerity, A cloak of loving kindness.
        ((.....*·-·'.......·*¨¯¨*·................·*¨¯¨*·.¸ Meant to sway the heart to trust,
        .``+.,¸¸_¸,.+´......*·-·'.·*¨¯¨*·.....'·-·*......))............and fill the eyes with blindness."
        ...........................'·-·*......`+.,¸_¸¸,.+´´.·*¨¯¨*·........·*¨¯¨*·¸...¸·*¨¯¨*·.
        .................................................. ..'·-·*......`·....'·-·*......)(......*·-·'.--Nancy Drew:Stay Tuned
        .................................................. ................`+.,¸_¸,.+´..`+.,¸_¸,.+*¨¯¨*·.for Danger
        ©P109.................................................. ........................................*·-·'

Comment

the press release said it is for 6-11 year old girls.

It is about Nancy, Bess and George and Robot Puppy using coding to solve mysteries at the science fair.

It will be Video on Demand.

Comment

Video on demand? There are enough free educational shows available. Most people wouldn't even look at video on demand offerings, especially for kids. It just seems like the only viewers they will have are Her Interactive fans with kids :/

Comment

Quite honestly, I'm disappointing by this news. I didn't mind Codes & Clues as a game, I didn't get it, but it was fine. This news implies the company is looking in a totally different direction for the future, and somehow I'm not thinking that it's good news for us. It feels like HER is looking to put out stuff for kids, and not worry about the audience they've had all this time, who have been buying their games all this time.

Comment

Originally posted by nancycluedrew View Post
                Quite honestly, I'm disappointing by this news. I didn't mind Codes & Clues as a game, I didn't get it, but it was fine. This news implies the company is looking in a totally different direction for the future, and somehow I'm not thinking that it's good news for us. It feels like HER is looking to put out stuff for kids, and not worry about the audience they've had all this time, who have been buying their games all this time.
                I used to think they did C&C as a way to generate income to save the games. Now I feel this is the "new direction" building a kiddie empire, and they arent really interested in the ND games anymore. I wouldnt be surprised if they werent slowly phased out or released very sporadically.

For such a teeny tiny company, to have two products for such widely differing demographics will be a hard thing to juggle, if not impossible.

Also, I was a bit shocked at the announcement because I thought their license from Simon & Schuster was only for games. I would assume the TV rights would be much more expensive.
                Last edited by paperstreet; September 15, 2016, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beccadrew View Post
                  Video on demand? There are enough free educational shows available. Most people wouldn't even look at video on demand offerings, especially for kids. It just seems like the only viewers they will have are Her Interactive fans with kids :/
                  This was my thought exactly. I'm not a parent yet, but I never pay for VOD for myself, never mind any kids I may eventually have. I just don't understand it at all.

What also makes me angry, is that I don't feel HER needs to go in this direction. At age 8, I was playing SCK. Yeah, I wasn't very good at it (I did not play with my parents) and didn't get too far for awhile. But it was still fun. I had been reading the books awhile at that point, and had become a fan. It was fun to play as Nancy. Why isn't this good enough anymore? Why can't kids play with their parents? Some games are more mature (ex. SAW) but a lot of them would be just fine.

I hate this new direction that they're going in, and I think it's going flop. I think they are spending more money than what they will make, and it's not going to turn out well.

Plus, I have my doubts on how educational this series will be. C&C didn't sound to be overly educational, even though they claimed it was.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSleuth View Post
                    What also makes me angry, is that I don't feel HER needs to go in this direction. At age 8, I was playing SCK. Yeah, I wasn't very good at it (I did not play with my parents) and didn't get too far for awhile. But it was still fun. I had been reading the books awhile at that point, and had become a fan. It was fun to play as Nancy. Why isn't this good enough anymore? Why can't kids play with their parents? Some games are more mature (ex. SAW) but a lot of them would be just fine.
                    Honestly I don't really think this is the point of what they're doing. You'll notice that with everything related to C&C, in practically every sentence (okay, that's an exaggeration, but still!), they're talking about "getting kids into coding", girls specifically. That's such a trendy topic these days that apparently, they think there's a huge market to be had in it; either that, or they want to get some "cred" as a company by paying a lot of lip service to the whole concept. Maybe it's just the excuse they're using to expand their market into specifically kid-oriented games, rather than entirely remaining somewhat of an all-ages company. But if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that Penny has made statements/done interviews/etc about literally nothing but C&C, and everything goes along the same (extremely paraphrased) lines of "Her made some Nancy Drew games and won awards and stuff......and now we're making something about coding! For girls!"

The other day they linked a compensated educator review of C&C on their Facebook page that went into glowing detail about how great the coding and other educational aspects were, in pretty stark contrast to the educator on the boards here who was very disappointed in it. I'm certainly not qualified to judge the app one way or the other, but it seems like either the game is a masterpiece of coding education or a disappointing hidden object game, depending on who you ask. I'm guessing that, if the show isn't just what they put on Youtube, it'll probably end up getting reviews along the same lines.
                    neverending song
                    2008-2018

So far from me walks your dear self
                    So far from me too is your home
                    to which I can never find my way
                    your fairy tale...

Comment

Originally posted by tsukiakari View Post
                      Honestly I don't really think this is the point of what they're doing. You'll notice that with everything related to C&C, in practically every sentence (okay, that's an exaggeration, but still!), they're talking about "getting kids into coding", girls specifically. That's such a trendy topic these days that apparently, they think there's a huge market to be had in it; either that, or they want to get some "cred" as a company by paying a lot of lip service to the whole concept. Maybe it's just the excuse they're using to expand their market into specifically kid-oriented games, rather than entirely remaining somewhat of an all-ages company. But if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that Penny has made statements/done interviews/etc about literally nothing but C&C, and everything goes along the same (extremely paraphrased) lines of "Her made some Nancy Drew games and won awards and stuff......and now we're making something about coding! For girls!"

The other day they linked a compensated educator review of C&C on their Facebook page that went into glowing detail about how great the coding and other educational aspects were, in pretty stark contrast to the educator on the boards here who was very disappointed in it. I'm certainly not qualified to judge the app one way or the other, but it seems like either the game is a masterpiece of coding education or a disappointing hidden object game, depending on who you ask. I'm guessing that, if the show isn't just what they put on Youtube, it'll probably end up getting reviews along the same lines.
                      Ugg, paying people to write reviews is just desperate. That is totally bottom feeding. Instead of Dare to Play their slogan should be Pay to Play.

That entire "Educator's Blog" is just a dumping ground of spam. Check out the side bar of tacky ads. The person who wrote that is a stay at home mom who homeschools. Yeah, a really amazing educator. EVERY post on her FB is #sponsored (literally, it uses that hashtag, not joking) a bunch of junk walmart wouldn't even touch. Why would they ever link to that? This means reputable educational blogs and journals will not write about them and this is the only option.

What is going on HeR? You went from cool seattle indie company to something I am kind of embarassed to admit to.

This is reminding me of when a famous fashion designer starts branching out, and starts getting sold in Kmart and no one wants their stuff anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
                        That entire "Educator's Blog" is just a dumping ground of spam. Check out the side bar of tacky ads. The person who wrote that is a stay at home mom who homeschools. Yeah, a really amazing educator. EVERY post on her FB is #sponsored (literally, it uses that hashtag, not joking) a bunch of junk walmart wouldn't even touch. Why would they ever link to that? This means reputable educational blogs and journals will not write about them and this is the only option.
                        Not only that, but her actual review did criticize certain aspects of it; she then tried to justify why the issues weren't that bad, which wasn't convincing. The summarizing paragraph was overly enthusiastic about C&C and didn't reflect the tone of her whole review. It's like when you read through someone's review and expect to see 2* but instead see 5*. It seems disingenuous.

Comment

To be fair, I appreciate her revealing that she was given a copy of the game to review, rather than hiding the fact. I've read stories about some journalists giving positive coverage to games whose developers they were personal friends with, so it's nice to know why she reviewed the game in the first place, even if it kinda negates things a bit. I didn't notice that she was a homeschooling mom, though. I was homeschooled myself, but I do agree that it's not exactly the best criteria to use for the "educator" tag. I guess she's basically blogging for the benefit of other women like herself, who would trust her experiences.

Well, I don't wanna end up going on too much about the C&C app, but I will say that I wish there were more professional reviews of it. Outside of basic "my kid enjoyed this" reviews, there's really nothing outside of this, a positive one-liner that Her added to the app description, and then that National Parenting Center place giving it a seal of approval (which is essentially another "my kid enjoyed this" because that place has child testers). I would really enjoy reading a full-fledged breakdown of the highlights and lowlights of the concept by an educator or STEM professional, particularly to be able to compare it with the blog review.

Just to get things back on topic, I wonder how they're going to promote the show. They'd certainly have to draw a lot of attention to it to get viewers.
                          neverending song
                          2008-2018

your fairy tale...

Comment

Originally posted by tsukiakari View Post

Just to get things back on topic, I wonder how they're going to promote the show. They'd certainly have to draw a lot of attention to it to get viewers.
                            An educator gave a bit of a review on this board if you look for it. Her school board wouldn't buy it.

Their channel is part of a bigger group, so I guess they will cross-promote the show with the other shows the mother channel owns, which already have large followings.

If they are debuting in October, how many shows will they have? Animating a cartoon series isnt something you do overnight and they will have an entire channel to themselves? I have a friend who writes scripts for kids cartoons, just for one 1/2 hr show, the development time is really long. I hope it isnt going to be churned out junk, but I cant see how it can possibly be proper, thoughtfully developed children's programming, considering the time frame and size of the company.

Comment

An educator gave a bit of a review on this board if you look for it. Her school board wouldn't buy it.
                              Oh yes, I read those posts with lots of interest. I'd love to read a full review from that member!

If they are debuting in October, how many shows will they have? Animating a cartoon series isnt something you do overnight and they will have an entire channel to themselves? I have a friend who writes scripts for kids cartoons, just for one 1/2 hr show, the development time is really long. I hope it isnt going to be churned out junk, but I cant see how it can possibly be proper, thoughtfully developed children's programming, considering the time frame and size of the company.
                              Goodness, I didn't realize it was coming so soon. It could be shorter episode times (like 10 minutes maybe), but then they'd have to make a lot more episodes so it probably wouldn't cut down on the workload. I would say "I guess we'll get more details soon" but I feel like we'll just find out whenever the channel debuts and someone watches it
                              neverending song
                              2008-2018

your fairy tale...

Comment

Working...
                              X