• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Codes and Clues TV Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
    An educator gave a bit of a review on this board if you look for it. Her school board wouldn't buy it.

Their channel is part of a bigger group, so I guess they will cross-promote the show with the other shows the mother channel owns, which already have large followings.

If they are debuting in October, how many shows will they have? Animating a cartoon series isnt something you do overnight and they will have an entire channel to themselves? I have a friend who writes scripts for kids cartoons, just for one 1/2 hr show, the development time is really long. I hope it isnt going to be churned out junk, but I cant see how it can possibly be proper, thoughtfully developed children's programming, considering the time frame and size of the company.
    They already have some shorts on youtube from when Codes & Clues was released. I'm assuming it's airing those? or longer versions of those?

Comment

Not sure how popular a VOD TV series based on a game that most people in a small fan base don't like is going to work out. Would have been better off releasing free videos on their youtube channel in my opinion.

Looks like a lot of people think HeR is neglecting MID by doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by DPL_93 View Post
        Not sure how popular a VOD TV series based on a game that most people in a small fan base don't like is going to work out. Would have been better off releasing free videos on their youtube channel in my opinion.

Looks like a lot of people think HeR is neglecting MID by doing this.
        That's the funny part - There's already cartoon shorts of C&C on youtube. So is this a totally new show or is it just longer versions of those? But I guess we'll find out in October.

Comment

I kind of hope that it is the youtube videos being available on TV. To me, that would mean less time they have to spend on writing scripts or whatever - because it would already be done.

I have to say, all this talk about this game being educational has me curious. From the description and reviews that I read, I got the impression that it was more of a hidden object game than anything.

Out of principle, I didn't want to buy it because it was pricey for an app that I wouldn't enjoy. But I think I'm going to buy it, play it this weekend, and I'll post my review from the perspective of someone who does coding for a living.

I will say, that I don't see how a TV show could help with coding concepts. I definitely could not have learned how to code by watching a TV. It's something you learn by applying it practically.

Comment

What age is this program? Will it truly be educational?

Originally posted by mdetective12 View Post
            I think this sounds awesome! I loved (and still do sometimes) watching some cartoon children shows on a channel targeted for preschoolers when I was growing up. There is another show I loved on a different channel too.

Anyway, I think this would be awesome and someone did ask about MID. Looks like there's a lot of multitasking in HeR! I like to multitask too...

The C&C empire was built on being educational - something HER failed to provide in the actual app. Most tv programs feature an educational aspect, especially paid programming, to convince parents to allow their children to watch it. As children we wouldn't notice the lessons, but going back as adults we would see either the moral or "classroom style" lesson. In the case of C&C, HER fails to admit they NEVER provided a true STEM lesson, and instead just made a dress up game/hidden object. I anticipate their tv program targeted at 6-11 year olds to follow suit - this CEO clearly has no concept of what educational programming should entail. Even mdetective12 expects this to be a preschool age program - and that would be the only age this show would draw in at this point. HER has a lot of questions they need to answer, and not just with "we are multitasking" because thus far they have provided no proof of doing anything other than producing a game that is subpar at best.

Comment

I’ve been watching the clips of the C&C miniseries on youtube in order to have a better idea about what the show could be, and I think the miniseries is a good indicator of what the new show's dynamic will be. I do hope the show is at least better than the app which, if I’m being honest, is just a glorified hidden object and dress-up game. I hope they somehow manage to weave actual interactive STEM-related activities into the C&C show.

In the miniseries, Nancy Drew Super Detective, Nancy, Bess, and George want to build a robot puppy for the tech fair, but the robot parts go missing. They follow clues to find all the pieces of the robot until they find out why they went missing in the first place. The tone of the show is upbeat and cute, with Bess being a sort of comic relief, I guess, by saying funny/simple things like “I like art” or “I like spaghetti”. There is absolutely no coding, interactive or demonstrative, and the mystery component doesn’t really provide an opportunity for the audience be engaged and “try to figure it out”.

I also hope they find some new music for the show. Their theme song sounds out of touch with current kids’ trends and really dated, as in circe-2001. It’s as if they forgot they needed one and then commissioned someone who wrote pop songs in the late 90s/early aughts who haphazardly wrote one at the last minute. Maybe they could commission the composer of the adventure games to write some quality music for the show. But somehow I think that is highly unlikely.

Also, some things about the graphics kind of surprised me: all the girls are super skinny. Actually, everyone is skinny, including Bess who has a slim waist and thin legs just like everyone else. (I know it’s a cartoon, but I’ve seen many kids' cartoons with more diverse body types.) Also, they are suppose to be nine years old but all the girls are wearing makeup (specifically a cat-eye, with Bess’s being super thick) which is just weird. Again, that’s fine, they can make whatever artistic decisions they want. It just reads as hypocritical when they try to market themselves as a company that goes against stereotypes and encourages girls to break the mold.

I guess one thing positive about C&C is that they are exposing kids to the ideas of STEM. Even though there aren't enough hands-on coding or mathematics-related activities to warrant it being called educational, there are some graphics that look sort of code-y, and they do mention the words “tech fair” and “coding” and “science” a lot. So I guess that’s a start… haha that sounds so ridiculous as I type it. But maybe it’s a way of normalizing the concept and encouraging girls to engage in STEM fields. I don’t know, I’m really trying to find something positive here.

As a young woman who studied and now works in a STEM field, I find everything C&C-related incredibly cringeworthy and unintelligent. I feel embarrassed for the creators. In fact, maybe the creators are embarrassed as well because you cannot find the credits to either the app or the mini series anywhere. I can only hope that the new show is much better. I’m only disappointed because it has been billed as educational when it really isn’t, as many people have noted already. It’s entertaining, and that’s it. It’s no better, but also no worse, than other shows already out there for kids.

Comment

I was like "Whhaaat???" when I saw the announcement. I'm still scratching my head over the timing of it.
                I still don't know why, after bribing most of the likes for the Codes an Clues Facebook page that they want to continue with this, but whatever! I'm not paying for it, so I don't have a reason to get mad.
                Last edited by Kyokai; September 16, 2016, 10:55 PM.
                Castle Quote
                Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
                Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
                I love this line!

Comment

Originally posted by TraveltheWorld View Post

I also hope they find some new music for the show. Their theme song sounds out of touch with current kids’ trends and really dated, as in circe-2001. It’s as if they forgot they needed one and then commissioned someone who wrote pop songs in the late 90s/early aughts who haphazardly wrote one at the last minute. Maybe they could commission the composer of the adventure games to write some quality music for the show. But somehow I think that is highly unlikely.
                  They should use the Rap Song that was in the SCK files.

Comment

Originally posted by Beccadrew View Post
                    It seems HER may be working on creating a C&C tv series. What are your thoughts on this?
                    Quite honestly, my first thought was: " **headdesk** You're kidding, right?" X)

I'll still enjoy the ND PC games that HeR has made to date, but none of the Codes and Clues look appealing to me; though I admit, I know very little about it. But even if I was interested, I don't have a smartphone to play the app on, and no TV on Demand to view the series with.
                    Penelope Payne (just a nickname) & company 🦄 Seastar 🐼 Panda 🦔 Phillip the Pygmypuff 🐎 Stardust 🖖 Spock 🐊 Albert the Sheepigator 🌛 Count Vismak

Comment

My issue with this tv show, and to some extent the app as well, is that it is changing the idea and persona of Nancy Drew and what the games originally set out to do. That is the main problem. Nancy does *not* seem like Nancy... at ALL. Completely different person; it's just monetizing a copyright. Same as that horrid failure of a network TV drama where Nancy was with the NYPD.

I can guarantee you I, as a player of this series for 15 years, would *not* have watched this TV show. I also find the age range it's targeted at to be completely off. It definitely comes off very, very pre-school-y to me.

As another poster said, a matter of personal taste, but I despise the OTT super girly art style.

But overall, I just find the entire C&C brand to be condescending in a weird way. I started playing the ND games when I was 10 or 11, so within the demo they're targeting. Can they not see how WORLDS apart the first few ND games are compared to C&C? Like not even worlds, but *universes* apart.

I mean, SCK was a murder mystery with interrogation and puzzle solving. And here we have "Ooooh my gosh, my bag of parts is missing! HMMMM! I wonder how *thaaaat* happened!" Better change my outfit to find out!

It just seems like... like it was developed by a person who clearly didn't grow up with digital media and doesn't quite relate to kids, especially girls, of the 21st century. The gender stereotyping, which the original games avoided so well, is sickeningly thick.

Just read the books. Play the old games, guys. Learn who Nancy is. She has been enthralling to young girls for almost a century. She doesn't need to be dumbed down and frilli-fied and trendy. She had endured for a reason. Just stop changing her!

Comment

Originally posted by sggoren View Post
                        My issue with this tv show, and to some extent the app as well, is that it is changing the idea and persona of Nancy Drew and what the games originally set out to do. That is the main problem. Nancy does *not* seem like Nancy... at ALL. Completely different person; it's just monetizing a copyright. Same as that horrid failure of a network TV drama where Nancy was with the NYPD.

I can guarantee you I, as a player of this series for 15 years, would *not* have watched this TV show. I also find the age range it's targeted at to be completely off. It definitely comes off very, very pre-school-y to me.

As another poster said, a matter of personal taste, but I despise the OTT super girly art style.

But overall, I just find the entire C&C brand to be condescending in a weird way. I started playing the ND games when I was 10 or 11, so within the demo they're targeting. Can they not see how WORLDS apart the first few ND games are compared to C&C? Like not even worlds, but *universes* apart.

I mean, SCK was a murder mystery with interrogation and puzzle solving. And here we have "Ooooh my gosh, my bag of parts is missing! HMMMM! I wonder how *thaaaat* happened!" Better change my outfit to find out!

It just seems like... like it was developed by a person who clearly didn't grow up with digital media and doesn't quite relate to kids, especially girls, of the 21st century. The gender stereotyping, which the original games avoided so well, is sickeningly thick.

Just read the books. Play the old games, guys. Learn who Nancy is. She has been enthralling to young girls for almost a century. She doesn't need to be dumbed down and frilli-fied and trendy. She had endured for a reason. Just stop changing her!

Agree so much with this post. Is it mean that I want C&C to fail? Like I feel if it gets any kind of success HeR will feel like that have a mandate to make even more changes :/

Comment

The ironic thing is that it this dumbed down version of Nancy will be on the Kid "Genius" channel.

Comment

I agree with this, and am so upset with Simon & Schuster for allowing HeR to do this to the character.

Comment

Ooooh my gosh, my bag of parts is missing! HMMMM! I wonder how *thaaaat* happened!" Better change my outfit to find out!
                              Sounds just like Barbie the detective and not Nancy the detective!
                              Herinteractive was once called the "unBarbie of gaming" and the company was proud of that.
                              Castle Quote
                              Sorenson: Really, we're gonna waste time on the insights of Nancy Drew here?
                              Castle: Is that supposed to be an insult? Because Nancy Drew solved every case!
                              I love this line!

Comment

Has anyone watched the tv show? I'm not able to do so, but I was wondering if anyone can say if it's the same as the youtube shorts or a whole new show.

Comment

Working...
                                X