• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Codes and Clues Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Codes and Clues Review

Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to buy it. I wasn't sure what to expect with this game. Based on the reviews, I went in thinking it was going to be terrible. But I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a software developer, so a game based on coding for kids really appealed to me.

There were definitely some pros and cons to this game. I feel like it was 80% hidden objects, 20% coding. However I feel like the coding parts of the game were really well done.

I feel like because they use the Nancy Drew name, they had to make a mystery. So I understand the need for the hidden objects part of the game. I don't see how she could solve the mystery by just programming her puppy. But it's for this reason, that I feel like a school would never have the game as an educational game in the classroom. I wish that there was more that she had to do with the the puppy because I felt like that part did capture the thought process of coding.

I think it would have been great if there were achievements you could get it if you solved the puppy problem in the least amount of steps. I think this would help encourage the use of loops instead of just doing the same commands over and over.

The game was expensive, in my opinion. I beat the game in about an hour maybe less and most of the time was spent just listening to the dialogue. For $5 I don't feel like that was a ton of gameplay. I get that it's intended for a younger audience who wouldn't fly through it like I did, but still. (I'm Canadian, I think it's a dollar cheaper in the US. It was $4.99 for me)

It is a game I would want my kids to play though. I'm glad I bought it.

I still have the same thought that I did before I played the game, that Nancy Drew doesn't really have anything to do with coding. I think it's great that HeR wants to encourage kids to code, but I just don't think it fits with Nancy Drew. The Nancy Drew character was not the Nancy I know, which also through me off.

Some of the nitpicky problems I had with the game, are the voices for the characters. I thought they were incredibly annoying. They sounded the same a lot of the time or just plain weird. I really didn't like George's voice. I didn't care for the cheesy song they had in the game either.

Overall, it wasn't that bad. I just wish there was more with the puppy and less hidden objects.

Originally posted by MrsSleuth View Post
    I feel like because they use the Nancy Drew name, they had to make a mystery. So I understand the need for the hidden objects part of the game. I don't see how she could solve the mystery by just programming her puppy.
    There are a lot of creative ways that coding could have been featured as part of the mystery. They could have had george or bess be really into coding and needed to do things to crack the case (kind of like Veronica Mars had that female coder BFF). Repeating the robot puppy over and over only reinforces the idea that coding (and science) is boring, uncreative and repetitive.

Comment

Originally posted by paperstreet View Post
      There are a lot of creative ways that coding could have been featured as part of the mystery. They could have had george or bess be really into coding and needed to do things to crack the case (kind of like Veronica Mars had that female coder BFF). Repeating the robot puppy over and over only reinforces the idea that coding (and science) is boring, uncreative and repetitive.
      I disagree. At least for the target audience of the game. I'm thinking this game would be appropriate for 4-5 year olds. At 6, I feel like they're already getting too old for it. If the mystery involved coding or hacking on an actual computer, I think that it would go over the heads of a younger audience. The robot puppy is a simple way to get kids thinking more about logic and how to "solve the problem" or do the obstacle. It's repetitive for an adult or even an older child to do for sure. I do think the game would get boring after playing through it more than a couple times (even for a 4 year old), but they just need to improve on some things.

But I don't think the game enforces the fact that coding and science is boring. I don't think a kid at that age would even understand that the puppy problems have any relation to coding.

When taking computer science in school, I learned that not everyone has the brain for it. I had friends who just couldn't grasp the concepts no matter how hard they tried. It's not for everyone, but I think games like can help at a younger age. But they just need more of the logic and less of the hidden objects.

Comment

It's called codes and clues, that is the problem, it needs to be about coding and I think there are lot of ways coding could have been utilized, kids these days at age 3 are using ipads and are quite tech savvy.

Also the puppy coding wasnt getting progressively harder with each chapter, it was just the same stuff each time, which does not give the child a sense of accomplishment. That is why it comes off as...robotic. I think for most, you are enjoying game, then you get to that robot puppy bit for the 4th time, and it is like, ugh, I have to do this again, I just want to get on with the game!

As a hidden object app with a science theme, the app is cute. But as an educational product it is lacking and i would be really concerned if I saw it on my child's curriculum. Did they have an educator on staff to create this app? I am sure if they did, they could have found fun and varied ways to talk about coding.

Maybe they should call it an app that normalizes science for girls, as opposed to one that teaches coding.

Comment

Oh I completely agree that this game is not suitable for a classroom. Definitely not. But if the game were focused more on logical thinking, like the puppy puzzles (not JUST the puppy puzzles, but more variety along the same lines) then I think it would be okay. Again, I'm thinking more like Kindergarden, not really grade school.

I do agree that it didn't get harder. They could have made it harder by adding goals to complete the levels in a certain amount of steps. But they didn't force you to use a loop, you could just tell the puppy to move forward 5 times in a row by clicking the arrow 5 times. Having the child figure out that they can do it in one step by using a loop would be better. And then it could could get harder by adding more commands to the loop. They would have to figure out that there's a pattern, Ex. [forward, jump up, jump down, forward] and see it repeats, so they can use a loop. Rather than just entering the commands one step at a time. But there was no indication if you could complete the level with less steps or not.

Comment

Working...
          X