Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alibi in Ashes: luckyeclipse's Opinion

It's review time!

Plot: After stumbling on to a fire at the Old Town Hall, Nancy Drew is the main suspect in an arson investigation. Players must, with the help of Ned, Bess, and George, prove Nancy's innocence and find out who was trying to frame--and possibly kill--America's favorite teen detective.
    There has never been a Nancy Drew game with arson as main focus. Mix that with being in River Heights, we've got a completely unseen plot. Obviously since the whole goal is to get Nancy out of jail and someone else in, HeR stuck to the plot well.

Characters:
    Deirdre: I was very amused at Deirdre's dialogue (especially when a certain man was around...) and impressed with her actions. For example, a characteristic "Deirdre move" is for her to inspect her nails. I thought that was pretty neat. The one thing about Deirdre I was not impressed with were her clothes; they looked flat and paper-thin. I'm not sure that's how it was intended to look.
    Alexei: He ended up being my favorite character, and he's the only one who had a real back story. His voice reminded me of Henrik from SSH. However, his body looked far too long. When he stood, he wasn't particularly tall, but when he sat in his chair, those legs looked impossibly long.
    Brenda: She was quite interesting to be around (especially when playing Bess). She's quick, smart, and knows how to twist an angle--much like many news reporters today.
    Toni: She looked amazingly realistic. Even her clothes looked real. Again, she had her trademark moves too.
    Bess: I'm quite fond of what this game did for Bess. Initially, I was turned off by her new looks. However, I think this game really pulled out the character of Bess. I never did see her freak out like she did in the trailer, though.
    George: For house sitting for Nancy, she was never at Nancy's house. The one thing I was confused about was why we could find Bess, but Ned and George never had a concrete place (George is available at Nancy's house, but only at the very end).
    Ned: I love Ned. He is my all-time favorite, and while it was great to play as him and charm Deirdre as him, it was a major let down that he was only presented as a cartoon. For those of you who refused to buy this game purely because Ned might be shown, go ahead and buy it.

The overall humor, though, in this game was high. Bess and Deirdre in particular are quite funny.

Setting: It's River Heights! Let me start off by saying that all the places (the police station, Scoop, Old Town Hall, the antique shop, Nancy's house, etc) were beautiful. The Drew home, in particular, was jaw-dropping.
    I was a little disappointed by the lack of places to go and the lack of things to do in those places.

Miscellaneous Features: Switching characters. I knew this would bother me, as I have hated switching in every other game before now. This time, it's three times worse. We have four characters to play as, and certain players have to do certain things (although, for the most part, George was kind of underused--she didn't have anyone she HAD to talk to in order to get info), so we have to switch.
    It wouldn't have been so bad if you didn't have to switch to Nancy in order to become another character.
    For example, say you have to talk to Toni. You switch from Nancy to Bess. Then, in order to get anything out of Deirdre, you have to switch to Ned. Can Bess call Ned to switch? Nope. So Bess has to call Nancy, and then Nancy has to call Ned, all to to do one thing.
    It was intensely frustrating and very annoying.

Also, I liked that the cars for each person were different, and that we didn't have to manually drive. However, I do miss the sounds of the action and seeing pictures (think bike riding in DDI or horse back riding in SHA). I would have rather had that.

Phone Friends: Ta-da! Carson Drew, to the rescue! He's about the only person you can call (besides Ned, Bess, and George to switch places), and he doesn't say much. There's fatherly love, which was nice, but it was kind of short. If that was my daughter in jail, I'd be freaking out and constantly on the line with her. Carson seemed... calm.

Snooping: From CAP to ASH, the snooping has continued! In order to free Nancy from jail, you collect fingerprints, search the area, and use a chromatograph.
    The snooping wasn't as thrilling as in CAP. I only got caught once, but I still didn't have that "Ohmygosh, I might get caught!" feeling.
    The police suspect board was very unique, and I liked that a lot. It helped organize my head.

Puzzles: They were kind of lacking, actually. The minigame is the only standard "puzzle." Most of the game in interviewing suspects, checking their alibis, and other stuff like that. In fact, I can't think of one true puzzle in the whole game.

Ending: I just wanted to briefly touch on this point because I think this is probably what the game did the best. This isn't your typical "Okay, it's the last scene so we're going to find out who did it!" type thing. That's all I'm going to say about that.

What I Didn't Like:
    -Switching characters
    -Didn't get to see Ned
    -Very few puzzles
    -Where was George?
    -The beginning. I was expecting a major party for the Clues Challenge. I was expecting to explore (especially Nancy's house!). The beginning was pretty much blah.
    -The length. The game took me less than five hours to finish.

Here's my main complaint:
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The download should be released after next day shippers and some 3-day shippers receive their games.
    The thing that really irked me was that I usually pay around $45 for a ND game. I buy the game and get next-day shipping.
    This time, since downloaders would download the day everyone elses' orders were shipped, I bought the downloaded copy and a physical copy because I need the box. (I still don't know if the $10 disc that comes along with the digital copy is just the disc, or if it comes in the box, and I would like to know.) This ended up costing me well over $50 because even 5-7 day shipping is over $7.
    At first, I wasn't too peeved by that. When I tried to download my game, it took forever. After four hours, it was only at 53% downloaded. It then quit on me. I had to start over, and it was 7:00 at night by the time I played my game.
    As a college student, I had to plan very carefully in order to have time to play my game. I expected to begin playing around noon, and instead wasted seven hours doing the only homework I could (due Friday) instead of what I needed to be doing around 8:00 (due today). When I spent $55 to play a game the day it was released, I was going to finish it as soon as I could.
    I hope HeR realizes that this change in downloading time is unfair to all the people who do want the boxed edition of the games. Also, my downloading experience was very stressful (as there is a limit to the amount of times you can attempt to download your game) and I doubt I will do it again.
    This initial aggravation ruined the game for me, and by midnight I was asking for help just to get the game done.

Overall, ASH was very short. It was beautifully created, had intriguing characters, and a nice plot line, but these things paled when combined with aggravating character switches, lack of puzzles, being let down with Ned, and the downloading hassle.
    For the 25th game of my favorite series, I sure was let down.
    Last edited by luckyeclipse; October 11, 2011, 10:40 AM.

Great Review! thanx!

Comment

Thanks for the review! I knew all the hype would lead to a let down, if there wasn't such high hopes for this game, i'm sure it wouldn't be such a let down but because it is after all the 25th game, and because we are in fact in river heights....
      Thanks again for the honest review! I'm so glad i didn't pre-order now. Reps for you!
      Please remember to try to keep TMB plot lines out of your thread titles, so as
      not to spoil it for others until the game is in stores. Read more here Thank you!
      … … … … … … … … … … … … … K a t l y n < 3

I am a Christian!!

TRICKORTREAT!

Comment

I agree Alexei ended up being my favorite character also. I don't agree with some of what you said though. I liked switching between the people, yes I would of liked to not had to call Nancy all the time to do it but it wasn't all that bad to me.

Also yeah the puzzles weren't typical puzzles except the numbers one but I still thought they were fun to do and tied well into the game.

I didn't have any problems downloading the game, it went through the first time for me. I did take over an hour to download but it wasn't so bad, sorry you had trouble with yours though.

Nice review but I think you were a bit harsh on the game. I actually liked it better than most of the other games and I wasn't even a fan of it being set in River Heights at first.
        The game is afoot, use your little grey cells and when stuck phone a friend preferably with the last names Nickerson, Hardy, Fayne, or Marvin

Comment

Thanks for giving such an honest review! :)

I'm very sorry for what you had to go through with the downloading though and hopefully HER will fix all these problems that have been occuring with the digital download.
          O.M.G
          It's unlocked?
          by shadowspinner

i.can't.remember.
          me without You

Comment

I'm sorry to see that you were disappointed! Thank you so much for the review, though, some of the things I read made me very happy and excited :)

Originally posted by luckyeclipse View Post
            Overall, ASH was very short. It was beautifully created, had intriguing characters, and a nice plot line, but these things paled when combined with aggravating character switches, lack of puzzles, being let down with Ned, and the downloading hassle.
            For the 25th game of my favorite series, I sure was let down.
            These last 3 things won't affect me at all, so hopefully it will be a tad more enjoyable. {I was, honestly, ecstatic to read that there were basically no puzzles! Seeing Ned wasn't something I particularly looked forward to, and I ordered a physical copy, so no downloading hassle here}
            But the character switching sounds incredibly aggravating, I must say. :\ Ugh. Oh well.
            So, on a scale of 1 - 10 {10, obviously, being the best} how would you overall rate ASH? Not counting the download hassle. :)
            Thanks again for the great review!

kaitienator!
            .....Charlotte Thornton
            ......................s h e . a l w a y s . w a s . c h a r l o t t e

Proud co-founder of ND Ultimate Alternate Endings

Comment

Interesting review, thanks for writing it! I'm not sure it is fair to blame HER about downloads not being fair to people who want the boxed game though. If you really want to play the game immediately and have the box (sort of like "having your cake and eating it too") then you're going to have to buy both. That's just how life is.
              Leaves that appear on a fresh spring tree,
              make my birth different from the other three.
              when swans drift by on shimmering blue,
              I'm the one who plays in the summer dew.
              When autumns call brings out the deer,
              I'm the one who howls on mornings clear.
              And when winter comes and birds take flight,
              look to me to sleep through the long gray night.

Eagerly waiting for ND #31

Comment

Originally posted by kw_drewfan View Post
                I'm sorry to see that you were disappointed! Thank you so much for the review, though, some of the things I read made me very happy and excited :)

These last 3 things won't affect me at all, so hopefully it will be a tad more enjoyable. {I was, honestly, ecstatic to read that there were basically no puzzles! Seeing Ned wasn't something I particularly looked forward to, and I ordered a physical copy, so no downloading hassle here}
                But the character switching sounds incredibly aggravating, I must say. :\ Ugh. Oh well.
                So, on a scale of 1 - 10 {10, obviously, being the best} how would you overall rate ASH? Not counting the download hassle. :)
                Thanks again for the great review!

kaitienator!
                I would rate it about a 7. (But I try really hard not to go under a 5, which are my least favorite games' ratings.) That means I like about 2/3 of past games more than this one.
                Just remember that everyone's a little different. Some people like more puzzles, some people like less puzzles. Some people don't mind switching characters, others think it's a nuisance.

Xander, I did buy both. I lost $10 in the deal, plus I got a lot of frustration out of the downloading process, as did lots of other people.
                It's fine that HeR tried this, but since the download went so awfully, they need to change back to the way they were before. When you offer a "great" deal like that (no shipping fees! Get the game before it even ships!), lots of people are going to use that route. I think a lot of people did, and this caused an unnecessary amount of strife.
                Plus, there was really no point in changing it originally. For CAP, downloaders thought it was unfair because their preorders weren't available until most stores got their games. I see how that wasn't fair. However, no one asked HeR to make downloads come first. So, in my eyes, it is in fact fair to "blame" HeR for this new order not being fair. HeR changed the system.

Comment

Love this <33 Only long, detailed review here (: Made me more excited for the game

Larissa ♥
                  You got that James Dean. . ☁
                  D A Y D R E A M look in your eye.
                  . .

Um wow this re-design threw me for a loop
                  creators of the creeper clubs for creeps; shawna and I
                  thanks for the sig lostie! I love taylor's new album too <33
                  it's been eons

Comment

I loved how your review was so honest. Thanks!
                    (awwww.... No Puzzles?)

Comment

Thanks for the review.

I have a quick question about the puzzles. You mentioned [along with many other people] that they were relatively few and easy. Would you say that they were similar to CAP's amount and difficulty [which I personally liked]? Or easier, less, ect.

Thanks!
                      ...·*¨¯¨*·...·........................
                      ..‘·-·.......).·*¨¯¨*·......·

strange how the half light
                      .....can maKe a PLace new.
                      ...·.....(.............·¨¯)....·
                      ..........‘· . ¸ _ ¸‘. · ’...............·
                      ..........·........... . ¸
                      thanks Spaghetti!

Comment

Hi :D great review! so much detail and you express your opinion so honestly, it's admirable.

But I have a quick question... What about Chief McGiggin {sp?} Is he not a character? He's in the trailor and on the character page, but no one has mentioned him on the review board.

I'm really excited about the characters, since talking and interrogating is my favorite part of the mystery [= i think this'll be the game for me.

thanks!

- molly =P
                        working on stuff

Comment

Originally posted by blondie u View Post
                          Hi :D great review! so much detail and you express your opinion so honestly, it's admirable.

But I have a quick question... What about Chief McGiggin {sp?} Is he not a character? He's in the trailor and on the character page, but no one has mentioned him on the review board.

I'm really excited about the characters, since talking and interrogating is my favorite part of the mystery [= i think this'll be the game for me.

thanks!

- molly =P
                          Chief McGinnis. I forgot all about him, honestly. That was another let down. I thought they nailed his voice and his looks, but they failed to use him! He's only seen in the first couple of scenes and then is hidden behind his office door the rest of the game (until the end, of course!).

Originally posted by Girl Sleuth ♥ View Post
                          Thanks for the review.

I have a quick question about the puzzles. You mentioned [along with many other people] that they were relatively few and easy. Would you say that they were similar to CAP's amount and difficulty [which I personally liked]? Or easier, less, ect.

Thanks!
                          CAP had many more puzzles than ASH. CAP had the secret messages, the entrances to the passages, the games you had to play, etc.
                          ASH had none of these things. This game is more about talking to suspects and collecting evidence. I'd say the only true "puzzles" are near the end.
                          There're a couple of games to play (the minigame, for example), but I would not consider them puzzles.
                          What puzzles ASH did have were very easy--so if you were okay in CAP, these puzzles should be no problem at all.

Comment

Great review! I didn't pre-order so I'm (im)patiently waiting to get my game next week. I'm really upset now, that we don't get to see Ned. I loved your detailed review, though, so thank you!
                            I dare you to let me be your one and only.
                            -; adele -- o n e a n d o n l y
                            ·.¸_¸.·´¯`·

Sorry I haven't been on lately.... I have been super busy!

Comment

Working...
                            X