Too Easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Easy?

I thought the game was way too easy, there weren't enough puzzles, it was mostly just running around finding things. I finished the entire game with no help in a day.

I was also hoping for some more Nancy/Ned stuff since one of the Key Features of the game was "What's Next for Ned & Nancy? Will their relationship finally blossom?"

There was also no suspenseful/scary moments. Overall, not my favorite game.

Anyone else feel this way?

I haven't started the game yet, but I'm excited to!!! Thanks for the honest review :) Reps.

Comment

Couldn't agree more.
      I feel the exact same way. I don't
      know i just feel like this game was missing
      a lot of things
      … … . ¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸
      … … .(*·-·´… .¸.·*¨¯)) .pinkpanther5
      … ……`×.,¸__¸,.×´¸.·´… . ¸·*¨¯¨*·.¸¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸
      … … … … … … …(¯¨*·.¸`·-·* … .)-·´… .*·-·´
      . ¸·*¨¯¨*·.¸¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸ `·.¸`×.,¸_¸,.×´ 'Cause you can bandage the d a m a g e,
      . `·-·* … .`·-(*·-·´)… … …``·.¸ … … … you never really can fix a heart...
      … … … … .`×.,¸__¸,.×´¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸… . )) … . ¸·*¨¯¨*·.¸
      … … … … … … … . (… . *·-·´ . ¸.·`´·.¸… .`·-·* ….)
      ©Nan2831+Demi Lovato… … .`×.,¸_¸,.×´… … `×.,¸__¸,.×´

Comment

I think there were a good amount of puzzles. Remember they are trying to make the majority happy. Some people complain there are too many; others say too few. I thought it was a healthy mix of tasks and puzzles; I definitely was never bored.

I understand many users here want to talk about N&N's relationship, but you have to remember that's not what these games are about. They are about a smart, young woman doing things many people believe she is uncapable of doing. You also have to keep in mind that Nancy is 18. She will always be 18. N&N moving further in their relationship would imply that she's getting older.

I disagree. I think the fire was just that. Not every game is going to be terrifying and make you jump all the way through because not everybody likes it.
        c.n.b.
        SCK SCK2 STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW CAP ASH

"Just be yourself and you'll do fine"--Ned
        "'Be myself?' Ned, I'm a detective. I'm pretty much here to spy on people. If they get wind of that...?"--Nancy
        "Like I said, just lie through your teeth and you'll do fine"--Ned, WAC

"Ah questions, questions, questions. How dreary life would be without them."--Professor Hotchkiss, CRY

"...I was told that you were one of those feisty go-getting, moxie-having, mystery-solving machines. Not some polite phone conversation having, mystery not-solver."--P.G. Krolmeister, TOT

Comment

I agree and disagree.
          The most consistent disapproval seems to be the puzzles (and N/N).
          I did find the puzzles to be quite easy on Senior never got hung up and as a result, it did seem like there weren't very many...but I sort of believe that having to switch between 3 (well four including nancy) characters throughout 99% of the game was one ongoing puzzle. Knowing who to utilize when/how, did require thought and trial and error.

I dunno, that coupled with my opinion that the game was more clue/convo/task/snoop based than most, makes up for lack of physical puzzles. I think Her picked a premise and ran with it...to add many more physical puzzles might have made it a bit overwhelming. Upping the puzzle difficulty would have been ok though.

I too would have liked it a bit longer...but it was so clean and put together within the time frame, dunno how they would have done so without adding misc tedious tasks like chores. As for scare...i love scare, but i didn't need it here. Engaging enough plot.
          Last edited by Ksleuther; October 11, 2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I was very happy there was no N/N stuff. I'm not a fan of their ooey gooey lovey doughey moments. If I have to bear romance, I want the unrequited bitter lost love type. Not the "I'm a perfect boyfriend and look how great I am" type.

But that's just me.

And I liked the fact there weren't a lot of puzzles.

But!! Something one person likes, another person will love. It WAS an easy game, you are right about that. It wasn't hard. Me? Not needing a walkthrough? Revolutionary. However, I don't see this as a negative. A lot of my favourite games were pretty easy (MHM, TRT, SCK, STFD, etc) and a lot of my least favourite games, I ended up just following a walk through (CRY, that one with the ghost, can't remember the others).

... Sorry, it's late here.

But yeah! I agree, it was easy. And, I can see how it disappointed some. I enjoyed it, though. I liked knowing what I had to do, for once. bahaha.
            .·´¨¯¨`·, . . . . . . .
            ..·´¨¯¨`·, . *·-·´ .. .) . . . . . . . . .·´¨¯¨`·,
            ( . .*·-·´ . . .·´¨¯¨`+.,¸_¸,.+´¯`·. .*·-·´ . .)
            .`+.,¸_¸,.·´ . . . . . . . . . . . . .`·.,¸_¸,.·´
            “as usual, when Frank
            was around, Nancy’s heart beat
            just a little faster.
            Nancy and Frank both recognized
            that their respect for each other
            had an edge of something more,
            something that could be romantic
            in a different time and place.”
            —"Target for Terror"

supermystery

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
            [/SIZE]

Comment

Too easy? How about too short...

I thought this game was way too short. It was fairly easy, but I didn't mind that. I feel that with Alibi in Ashes and the Captive Curse, the games are significantly shorter and because of this the plot hardly develops and there is so many loose ends at the end of the game that aren't resolved.

I also compared the length to solve this game to other games, like Shadow at the Water's Edge, the Phantom of Venice, etc., and they were definitely significantly shorter.

I'm SO SO dissapointed with these past two games because my favorite part of Nancy Drew games is advancing in the plot and finding answers to why people did what they did.
              It's never too late to be who you might have been...[ George Eliot ]

reviews:TMBxASHxCAPxSAWxRANxHAUxVEN

Comment

oceanxatlantic: I think one thing you are getting at is that is the loose ends.

I did notice that, at the end of ASH, they kind of, how do you say? Tied everything up in a nice and neat bow. Like no Nancy Drew character can end up dissatisfied, unless they are rude. Not entirely realistic. But, it is a G game, so I guess that's why they'd tie it up in a nice and neat bow at the end. But you're right, the plots used to be a lot more messy (and I don't mean disorganized-- I mean depth) and the plots recently have been pretty straight forward.

But I didn't guess the culprit in this game. :) SO there's that.
                .·´¨¯¨`·, . . . . . . .
                ..·´¨¯¨`·, . *·-·´ .. .) . . . . . . . . .·´¨¯¨`·,
                ( . .*·-·´ . . .·´¨¯¨`+.,¸_¸,.+´¯`·. .*·-·´ . .)
                .`+.,¸_¸,.·´ . . . . . . . . . . . . .`·.,¸_¸,.·´
                “as usual, when Frank
                was around, Nancy’s heart beat
                just a little faster.
                Nancy and Frank both recognized
                that their respect for each other
                had an edge of something more,
                something that could be romantic
                in a different time and place.”
                —"Target for Terror"

supermystery

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                [/SIZE]

Comment

LOVED ASH but could have been longer

Originally posted by NDlover123 View Post
                  I thought the game was way too easy, there weren't enough puzzles, it was mostly just running around finding things. I finished the entire game with no help in a day.

I was also hoping for some more Nancy/Ned stuff since one of the Key Features of the game was "What's Next for Ned & Nancy? Will their relationship finally blossom?"

There was also no suspenseful/scary moments. Overall, not my favorite game.

Anyone else feel this way?
                  I did think that the game was going to be longer. Don't get me wrong I LOVED the fact that we finally got to play as all four characters, and that we got to see Nancy's house and River Heights, but I think it could have been more involved. I just finished it and it didn't take that long at all.

In regards to the Ned-Nancy relationship Ned's letter was really sweet so you got to see a little bit more of their relationship, but you're right it wasn't very detailed. Although, I've been reading other reviews as well, and I do agree with not really developing their relationship too much, because as another user said Nancy will always be 18, and if their relationship is developing that means time is passing and HER would have to age the characters.

As an avid reader of the Nancy Drew mysteries ( I have 1-65) I do appreciate the fact that they didn't show us Nancy or Ned because that leaves the images of them I constructed in my head from reading the books intact. It's always weird when you read a book, then the movie comes out and they pick an actor that doesn't look anything like how you pictured the character. So I'm glad they left that alone.

But overall I loved getting to see where Nancy was from, and having to prove her innocence for once as a suspect. It was great and I will definitely replay it at least one more time to finish taking in the origins of the most famous girl detective.

Comment

Originally posted by NancyGetsClues View Post
                    I did think that the game was going to be longer. Don't get me wrong I LOVED the fact that we finally got to play as all four characters, and that we got to see Nancy's house and River Heights, but I think it could have been more involved. I just finished it and it didn't take that long at all.
                    I agree with you, I loved playing as all the characters. My one complaint about that though was that the change had to be through Nancy. It would have been a lot easier to be playing as Bess and directly transfer to George, but instead you had to call Nancy then call George, which was sooo annoying!

Comment

Working...
                    X