Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why you should buy this game! (ASH review by phoenixtear)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you should buy this game! (ASH review by phoenixtear)

You should buy this game. kthnx.

And here's why!

Summary for those who do not feel like reading my obnoxiously long post:

HeR really listened to us when they made this game. Not only are the graphics totally insane, but the game play was actually a lot of fun. You didn't get stuck at puzzles. There were no "is there something wrong with me?? Why is this so hard?" moments. It was just fun. They gave you what you had to do, and you went out, and you did it. This DID make for easy gameplay, and (as you can tell) I did finish it rather quickly. That is with a lack of walkthroughs, take note. I did have to ask a question when I got stuck, but figured it out before I got an answer. This is one of those games where you might find yourself not knowing exactly what to do next, but you WILL have an "a-ha!" moment, or an "oh, duh!" moment. And that's what I love about ND games!

Here's the breakdown:

Entertainment:

Ok, so it is not as hilarious as CAP or some of the previous games, but on the other hand, it is a more serious and realistic game. It is less entertaining in the "rofl omg thats hilarious I have to remember to quote that in my signature" way and more entertaining in the "oh. my. gosh. I am in River Heights and talking to Brenda and I am stressed out!" and the "I can't believe he/she said that!" way. There wasn't a point in the game where I got bored or disinterested in what was going on. Everything was interesting, 90% of the time I knew what I had to do, and the game play was still pretty long.

Graphics:

So this is something that really blew me away. The graphics? Amazing. It seems like they really put all they could into the graphics and making everything look as realistic as possible-- except for George. Poor George got the short end of the stick on graphics. But in their defense, you don't see her too often. But all of the other things-- the details were awesome! The people were realistic, their expressions matched what they were saying and weren't some random repeated expression. Their expressions changed with each conversation or information. It was really realistic. Some characters even had a "tell"-- something they did that made it known they were lying. Very. Realistic. Graphics. The most realistic, yet.

Snooping:

There was a lot! It was relatively easy to snoop in this game, and you did a lot of it. Nobody had any secrets from Nancy in this one. The player gets to see everybody's station and intrude on their secret secrets. Which is fun fun fun.

Chores:

A big thankful NO to this one!! No filling out orders or cleaning rooms or caging rats! Nothing you had to do made you go "ughhhhhh!!!" The entire time, you played the game. If you were doing something, it was to solve a mystery, not to help someone write their book report. This part of the game was awesome.

Characters:

Fun! I ended up loving characters I thought I'd hate and hating characters I thought I'd love. They are realistic, and you understand them, even if you don't like them. They aren't annoying. They are ironic. They're great! And there are sooo many. It's so much fun. The voices are great and the amount of characters to know is satisfying. And, like this reviewer, the entire time I spoke to Toni I was thinking "I can see Russia from my house!" And it was great. (I'm referencing Sarah Palin, here, non SNL fans. Because Toni's physical characteristics and mannerisms? Palin.)

As for the playable characters, they're fun. Bess is really funny. George was my favourite in this game. Her replies to situations are great. :D Again, she kind of got the short end of the stick, because unless you purposely played her, there wasn't necessarily someone that would only open up to her. But I preferred her over Ned. Just because Ned is blah. In any game, that is.

And if you're super curious about whether or not you get to "see" Ned in person in the game, I will show a spoiler code. If you are like me, and rather wait until you play the game, then don't peek!
    Ned is NOT shown in this game. Sorry, guys. We just get a picture. Aww, don't be too upset. He's kind of boring, anyway! In a reaaally sweet, great guy kind of way. But still. The picture we get of him is gooood. :) He's a pretty thing to look at.

Music:

Because I got the downloaded version, and there were a few issues with that, a lot of the audio skipped for me. Let me know if this isn't a rare occurrence-- but for me, at least, a lot of the audio sounded disjointed. I kind of felt like I was playing MHM or something! But besides that, the music was really really good. The kind that gets stuck in your head. However, in this game, it didn't seem to be a forerunner of the atmosphere. I didn't notice that it changed too often with a certain room. If it did, in my opinion, the tracks were pretty similar to each other. But it was good! Not distracting at all.

The end:

Satisfying. :) There was no anti-climactic "oh. that's it?" moment. It was fun. It felt good. I leave it at that. :)

Transportation:

Point and click, computer does the driving. Very very convenient. Not time consuming. Still interesting to watch! I loved how they handled transportation in this game. It didn't distract from the game at all. And you still got to scope out River Heights!

What would I have changed?

1. I would have put the Hardy boys in the game. How are they going to explain the fact that they didn't even give her a ring when they found out she was jailed up? :/ How could Nancy not call and tell them immediately, or enlist their help? She runs to them for every recent case, tells them every detail, even details about things that aren't about the case! They've been phone buddies forever. I'm thinking because there were SO MANY characters they just couldn't fit them in. But, nevertheless, I am, as you suspected, upset that Frank didn't show up in any part of the game. :/

2. I would have given George more to do, specifically. Her character is a lot of fun! She is really funny. I love her attitude and sarcasm.

3. I would have made it a bit harder. If I can finish a game with no walkthrough, and get a handful of awards, it was probably an easier game. Now, in my opinion, this does not make it any less of a game. SCK was easy-- a classic. STFD was easy-- a classic. It was still fun to play. But, it could have been harder. Maybe not in the puzzle-type way of being harder, but perhaps a harder ending or mystery in general.

4. I would have liked to seen something outdoors. An odd thing, I know, but something about walking around outside is fun for me. :)

5. Did I mention the Hardy Boys? .. Oh, I did? Alright alright!

I still put CAP over this game, but it is definitely one of my favourites. :)

So there you have it! I hope you guys enjoy the game. :D HeR, keep making us classics like these!
    Last edited by phoenixtear; October 11, 2011, 09:59 PM.
    .·´¨¯¨`·, . . . . . . .
    ..·´¨¯¨`·, . *·-·´ .. .) . . . . . . . . .·´¨¯¨`·,
    ( . .*·-·´ . . .·´¨¯¨`+.,¸_¸,.+´¯`·. .*·-·´ . .)
    .`+.,¸_¸,.·´ . . . . . . . . . . . . .`·.,¸_¸,.·´
    “as usual, when Frank
    was around, Nancy’s heart beat
    just a little faster.
    Nancy and Frank both recognized
    that their respect for each other
    had an edge of something more,
    something that could be romantic
    in a different time and place.”
    —"Target for Terror"

supermystery

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    [/SIZE]

This review.
    . . . Totally rulez.
    Bahaha, seriously though, this is exactly the kind of review that satisfies me the most! Plenty of juicy details, but not to the point of spoiling anything :) Your descriptions were spot-on, and I always love it when reviewers split everything into categories, or 'sections'.
    And I agree on the Hardys; no excuse that HeR can come up with will be able to excuse their absence! :P Haha!
    Now, one question though; I'm very curious about this "you can tell they're lying" thing - how exactly does that work? Is it a certain movement that they'll do, or just a. . "quirk" that's individual to each character? I'd love to hear just a weeeee bit more about it. :D
    Thanks for the fantastic review! 5 stars + reps! :)

kaitienator!
    .....Charlotte Thornton
    ......................s h e . a l w a y s . w a s . c h a r l o t t e

Proud co-founder of ND Ultimate Alternate Endings

Comment

Oh. My. Gosh. Phoenixtear! This review = totally epic awesomeness that fills my heart with joy.

Seriously, this is a fantastic review! You explain things sooo well, and without spoiling the plot. 5 stars, and reps!

*edit* I'm out of reps for you, but they're coming soon! :D
      Last edited by Krolmeister; October 12, 2011, 08:32 AM.
      There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

*ba dum da tsh*

Comment

Originally posted by kw_drewfan View Post
        This review.
        . . . Totally rulez.
        Bahaha, seriously though, this is exactly the kind of review that satisfies me the most! Plenty of juicy details, but not to the point of spoiling anything :) Your descriptions were spot-on, and I always love it when reviewers split everything into categories, or 'sections'.
        And I agree on the Hardys; no excuse that HeR can come up with will be able to excuse their absence! :P Haha!
        Now, one question though; I'm very curious about this "you can tell they're lying" thing - how exactly does that work? Is it a certain movement that they'll do, or just a. . "quirk" that's individual to each character? I'd love to hear just a weeeee bit more about it. :D
        Thanks for the fantastic review! 5 stars + reps! :)

kaitienator!

Thanks!!!! I saw it in two characters when I caught them in a lie-- and it was different for each character. This isn't what a character actually did, but it's as if when I lie, I cover my mouth and mutter. Two characters had a "tell" when they lied that made you want to yell "A-HA! You lie, gypsy!! dirty gypsy lies!!!!" but of course the dialogue choice never had that as an option.

.. But they totally should have.

****Disclaimer: I love gypsies. I have gypsy blood. Not all gypsies lie. They are fun, creative people! Did I cover my bases?
        .·´¨¯¨`·, . . . . . . .
        “as usual, when Frank
        just a little faster.
        —"Target for Terror"

supermystery

[/SIZE]

Comment

This is an amazing awesome review!! What you said about George and the graphics made me laugh for some reason. xDD Anyway, I think this review really gave a glimpse into the game and didn't uncover any important secrets in the plot. Informative and entertaining!! Reps for you!!
          Last edited by Shelsi530; October 12, 2011, 11:28 AM.
          Imagine you're a girl Y
          On ten mile stilts

Comment

Pheonix! Great review.. I've noticed from many threads of yours that you and I basically have to same opinion on everything Nancy Drew! Which is good thing, because from what I can tell you liked the game.. meaning I'll probably like it too. Your review helped me come to that conclusion as well (:
            Reps comin' your way!
            --Sydohh! <3
            forget the rules;
            ...play by your heart <3 ......·´¨¯¨`·.
            … … ..·´¨¯¨) … … ... …. (¯`·.'·–·' ….)
            … … (… … … … …)`·. ..`·. .`×.,¸_¸,.·´
            … … .`× . , ¸ ¸ , . +´ `·,¸_)

Comment

Krolmeister!! Thanks! Have you gotten a chance to play it, yet?

Shelsi530-- haha. Poor George. First they go and cut her hair, then she gets minor character'ed. I sure am missing them as phone friends, actually!

Sydohh-- Yay!!! I hope you will like it! There are only a few ND games where I'm like :| about, but this game was way fun to play. It wasn't as stressful or challenging as some games, and sometimes, that's nice. Like I said, not as good as CAP (in my opinion), but definitely worth a buy! This game rolled out more like a story that you were following and actively a part of. If that makes sense. A lot like how you'd think a Nancy Drew book would read, actually. Minus the social parties and relatives. And, minus Togo (who is a main character in the books, as far as I am concerned haha).
              .·´¨¯¨`·, . . . . . . .
              “as usual, when Frank
              just a little faster.
              —"Target for Terror"

supermystery

[/SIZE]

Comment

I liked this review and agreed with what you said!

I thought I was the only one who noticed all the stuff about George - she was barely in the game, and then when you see her in person it's like, "Um...why does she look like she's made out of construction paper?"

But this was a great game! I love feeling like HeR really listens to what fans of the games want.

Comment

Loved the review! Very informative and you made very good points! I cannot wait to get it when it and play!
                  My Top 5
                  1) Secret of Shadow Ranch
                  2) Danger on Deception Island
                  3) Ghost Dogs at Moon Lake
                  4) Shadow at the Waters Edge
                  5) The Secret of the Scarlet Hand

I love my cats Mickey, Misty, Tommy, & Charlie!

R.I.P Candy Corn 8/10/12

i love food!

HELLO MY FELLOW NIGHT OWL! OR SHOULD I SAY HOOT HOOT!dy

<-- check out my sig shop!
                  <--P. Diana <3
                  <-- my DDI review!
                  <-- my SHA review!
                  <--my SAW review!
                  <--my TMB review!

Comment

Awesome Review !! You have made me even more anxious for my game to arrive!
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(")Put this bunny on your signature if you want HeR to keep making ND games forever!

Comment

Working...
                    X