An NDfavs Indepth review : ASH edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An NDfavs Indepth review : ASH edition

Hello! My my is NDfavs, and this is my review for ASH. This will be one of my typical reviews and if you don't know what that means keep reading! If you do, then you can skip ahead to the Pro and Con section!
    I write my reviews in a pro con format, and then give an overall rating at the end. My reviews contain material that may be considered to be spoilers by some. So if you are afraid of having your game ruined you probably shouldn't read. I won't ruin your culprit, but I sometimes give away information about puzzles and other things that people would rather not know. As always if you enjoy this review please leave reps and comment. If you would like to read some more of my reviews you can find them in my signature!

Here is the list of pros:
    1. music was absolutely great!
    2. the Clues challenge was a great premise, if only we had gotten to play that one!
    3. You could exit out of the second chance very quickly. A few games before this you had to wait for the entire message to play out, but here you could skip that!
    4. I loved the phone backgrounds!
    5. Nancy'd souvineer closet was so cool! I'm glad she keeps all of those things!
    6. I liked that they included that classic Nancy Drew letter head. It's a great throwback to the older games.
    7. The cookies in this game were really nice to see.
    8. Did anyone else notice that Alexi's old cases were really close to the titles of assorted yellow Nancy Drew books?
    9. I liked Nancy's letter to Hannan at the end. I've always liked the letters to Hannah better than the case files

And now for the con list:
    1. I did not like having a game set in River Heights, there are just somethings that should be left to the imagination in my opinion.
    2. Seeing the characters that we love, see above explaination.
    3. New menu screen. I have never liked the New menu screen, I will never like the new menu screen, as long as it is part of the game, this will be listed in my con section.
    4. Carson Drew sounded like he was a teenager.
    5. I miss the moo ringtone on the cell phone . . .
    6. There is so little that you can explore in this game, there are multiple places that you can go, but you can only explore one or two rooms in each of them. I like to snoop, and I really wish they had designed more of the Drew house, I would have loved to explore there.
    7. You can't skip the driving sequences, you have to sit there and watch the car go from place to place.
    8. You couldn't just call the person that you wanted to switch with, you had to call Nancy and then call them. So if you were Ned, and needed to be Bess, then you couldn't just call Bess and have her take over, youhad to call Nancy and then call Bess.
    9. When Nancy got out of jail, you couldn't call anyone and tell them, and when they saw you they didn't react. Well, George did, but shes the only one.
    10. The video editing was so random, there wasn't any rhyme or reason on how to do that.
    11. When you would leave someone at a location and switch back to Nancy, they wouldn't stay in the spot you left them, they would go back to the opening shot for that place, which was really annoying.
    12. This game was SO short! It only took me half of a day!

Over all I give this game a 5/10. I would not reccomend it unless you feel the need to play all of the games, just to say that you have played them. I don't think I will ever be preordering again after how dismal this game was combined what the HER preordering policy. It just wasn't worth the extra money. Also this game has no replayability. There was nothing fun in the game that would make you want to replay.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read this. Please rate, comment, and leave reps! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by NDfavs; December 26, 2011, 10:10 AM. Reason: Change in first linen from CAP to ASH
    3C0928
    1e474f
    The true color of nancy drew

You can click on any of the yellow/gold colored game names for my reviews! Go ahead and read them!

It is always appropriate to leave reputation for someone, even if the post is as old as Adam and Eve.
    I am a Christian (specifically a Nazarene) , and very proud!

Please be aware of the fact that when you vote people's threads down, because you don't like them, and not because of the content of their thread, then you may be harming their confidence about their creative works. I want to thank everyone for the kindness and respect that you have showed me on the boards, so lets keep it up!

I totally agree with all that you said! I would not buy it unless you wanted to play every single one. I got so bored, I haven't even finished it yet!! Anyway, I will give you reps ASAP!
    ♥Nikki
    ..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸
    ..`•-•´......))….How lucky I am
    `•.,¸_¸,.•´………...…to have something
    ..`•.¸...¸•*¨¯¨*•¸..that makes
    ......`•.¸`•-•´…..))……..saying goodbye
    ¸•´¯*.....))....¸•´,•*¨¯¨*•,…..so hard.
    `•.¸_¸,.•´¸•´....`•-•*....))
    ..............((...............¸•´…….-Winnie the Pooh
    ...........© `•.,¸_¸,.•´

Comment

Originally posted by MnmPeanut94 View Post
      I totally agree with all that you said! I would not buy it unless you wanted to play every single one. I got so bored, I haven't even finished it yet!! Anyway, I will give you reps ASAP!
      ♥Nikki
      Thanks for being my first response! I'm really happy that you liked this review, and that you agreed with me!
      3C0928
      1e474f

You can click on any of the yellow/gold colored game names for my reviews! Go ahead and read them!

It is always appropriate to leave reputation for someone, even if the post is as old as Adam and Eve.

Please be aware of the fact that when you vote people's threads down, because you don't like them, and not because of the content of their thread, then you may be harming their confidence about their creative works. I want to thank everyone for the kindness and respect that you have showed me on the boards, so lets keep it up!

Comment

I 110% agree with you. I'm pretty bummed that I shelled out the money to pre-order this game. Defiantly not worth it. Especially considering that I'll probably never play it a second time.
        Great review though!
        We mustn't compare ourselves to regular people...

We're
        artists

Comment

Originally posted by betholomew314 View Post
          I 110% agree with you. I'm pretty bummed that I shelled out the money to pre-order this game. Defiantly not worth it. Especially considering that I'll probably never play it a second time.
          Great review though!
          I was so disappointed that I also pre-ordered. It really wasn't worth it. With the way that HER does shipping now, and the fact that it wasn't really a good game. I use to be one of the first to get the game, because I was so close to their headquarters, but now i'm one of the last, just because they ship 5-6 dayers last. I think they should ship them all out on the same day, I know that would be hard, but I think that if they are committed to their fans they should be able to do that. They could have a cut off day, and then ship 2-3 days after that, when they have the entire order ready.
          3C0928
          1e474f

Comment

I agree with you, especially about the length. It was a really short game. To me, it didn't really feel like it fit with the other Nancy Drew mysteries. It reminded me more of a Dossier game - "fast fun for busy detectives!" The plot didn't go that deep, there weren't a lot of hard puzzles, and it was pretty quick. More of a relaxing game, in my opinion.
            |¯`•.,¸_¸,.•>
            Life is not a punchcard
            .....Make the best of what you have
            .............................<.,¸_¸,.•*¨¯¨*•.,¸_¸,.•´¯|
            ........................................[size] ADTR

Comment

Originally posted by Lucymybulldog View Post
              I agree with you, especially about the length. It was a really short game. To me, it didn't really feel like it fit with the other Nancy Drew mysteries. It reminded me more of a Dossier game - "fast fun for busy detectives!" The plot didn't go that deep, there weren't a lot of hard puzzles, and it was pretty quick. More of a relaxing game, in my opinion.
              Thanks for agreeing with me! It's strange that i received so little feedback when I put up this review, but from the 3 star rating that this thread has been sitting at, people didn't really agree with me, so it's really special to me that you do! Thank you for your kind words!
              3C0928
              1e474f

Comment

I feel the same way. I was disappointed in the graphics and the ease of the game. I beat it in one afternoon, and I'm a busy student. I shouldn't have enough time to beat a ND game I haven't played before in one afternoon. Anyway, yeah the mystery was just strange to me, and I hated the graphics. The story-line was blah, and so was the rest. I really truly hope TMB is better. If not, something's gotta give. I miss games like CUR, DDI, SHA, SSH, etc. classics.
                Closed Cases:
                SCK|STFD|MHM|TRT|FIN|SSH|DOG|CAR|DDI|SHA|CUR|CLK|
                TRN|DAN|CRE|ICE|CRY|VEN|HAU|RAN|WAC|TOT|SCK2|SAW|CAP|ASH|
                TMB
                |DED|GTH

Comment

I definitely hold a lot of the same opinions. The most annoying con for me was the whole thing where you have to always call Nancy to change characters. That was a big mistake. Another was how your friends give almost no response after you get out of jail. :/ Still, there were a few things I liked. I did like the plot and characters. My favorite one was Chief Mcginnis. :D He's a pretty funny character with his dry humour.
                  Imagine you're a girl Y
                  On ten mile stilts

Comment

Originally posted by Shelsi530 View Post
                    I definitely hold a lot of the same opinions. The most annoying con for me was the whole thing where you have to always call Nancy to change characters. That was a big mistake. Another was how your friends give almost no response after you get out of jail. :/ Still, there were a few things I liked. I did like the plot and characters. My favorite one was Chief Mcginnis. :D He's a pretty funny character with his dry humour.
                    I can agree with that! I think that the plot had amazing potential, and I did like Chief Mcginnis a lot. I don't like changing character at all, but if it has to be done, it's ridiculous that you have to call Nan and then call the person. If I'm Ned, why can't I just call Bess to change.

Bella: It was so so so short, but I didn't have a lot of motivation to keep playing the game.
                    3C0928
                    1e474f

Comment

Working...
                    X