Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUR Review

Curse of Blackmoor Manor - released in 2004

Based on the book: The Bluebeard Room, Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #77, published in 1985

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Not Very Closely (see comments)

The Mystery/Crime: A person acting strangely; a possible curse

Mode Of Transportation: N/A; the game takes place inside the manor

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: Yes

What is learned about in this game?: Lycanthropy, cockney

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy is hired by her neighbor to go to England to investigate why the neighbor's daughter is acting so strangely and being so reclusive.

Brief Character Synopsis:

Ethel Bosinny - Jane's tutor
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Emily Beecham

Jane Penvellyn - Hugh Penvellyn's 10 year old daughter (and Linda's step-daughter)
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Probably shouldn't do this one; kids grow so fast that whoever I chose will be too old to play the role soon anyway

Letitia Drake - Hugh Penvellyn's aunt
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Maggie Smith

Linda Penvellyn - Hugh Penvellyn's wife and Jane Penvellyn's step-mom
    Actress I would cast to play her it were a live-action movie or TV show: Diane Lane

Nigel Mookerjee - historian using the manor's library for research on the book he is writing about the history of Blackmoor Manor
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Adhir Kalyan

Phone Characters:

Hugh Penvellyn - Linda's husband and Jane's father

Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend

Paliki Vadas - Lycanthropy expert

Mrs. Petrov - Nancy's neighbor and Linda's mother

Tommie Tucker - take-out guy

Other characters:
    Lou Lou - the Penvellyn's pet parrot

My favorite quotes:

"Most of the rooms I saw looked like they'd been decorated by a medieval monkey" - Mrs. Petrov

"Makes sense. I mean, in an odd, Penvellyian sort of way." - Ned Nickerson

"Bob's your uncle!" and "Pay no attention to the bird behind the curtain" - Lou Lou

My Thoughts: I like this game a lot because of the many places to explore and the great plot. It's not my absolute favorite as it is for many others, though. I can't quite put my finger on why. One of the reasons is because I found many of the puzzles difficult and tedious. For me, the moving rooms was one of the most frustrating puzzles/tasks in any of the games and I was so glad to learn that there was another way to do it. You also have to go back and forth to complete puzzles and tasks, which I usually don't mind, but the manor was so huge that it got a bit tedious having to go everywhere so many times. I got lost a lot. (haha). Other than that, though, I really do enjoy it. I love playing games with Jane and the "Find the Ghosts" game is one of my favorite things in all of the Nancy Drew games. The atmosphere and cut-scenes were great. There is also a long playing time, which is always good.

My Random Comments: I have a "How closely does the game follow the book?" section in my reviews because the games that follow the books more closely tend to be better games. However, this game doesn't follow the book all that closely and in this case that is actually a good thing. I absolutely hated the book "The Bluebeard Room." It is one of the very few Nancy Drew books that I hate. It started out being about Nancy going to England to investigate the strange behavior of a neighbor's daughter, like in the game, but then it became a book about Nancy dating a famous British rock star (no, unfortunately, I am not joking). So congrats to HER for taking a horrible book and making it into a good game.

My Rating: 8/10
Working...
X