• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curse Lives On - A Review

ConnectTheDots' Review
    of
    The Curse of Blackmoor Manor

Bottom line: Over three years later, this game still remains one of the fans' favorites, and for good reason. The setting, history, puzzles and scares make this game a joy to play.

Plot

Nancy's neighbor has asked Nancy to check up on her daughter, Linda, in England. Linda has supposedly been cursed, but how? Has she really been cursed, or is it all in her head? The plot is a little bit unbelievable, but that just adds to the fun!

Characters

The characters in this game were either bland or annoying. Some of the characters you hardly talk to, and others you interact with too much. When they did talk, they talked more about historical stuff than themselves or other characters. Also, when they talked, their mouths and movements were a little mechanical and sometimes didn't match what they were saying. This is an area that HER has greatly improved in!

Graphics

Other than the characters, the graphics in this game were very nice, better than some in the later ND games, in my opinion. The colors were so vibrant and the rooms were so intricate (even the tiles!). The graphics really made the manor come to life; I truly felt like I was there.

Music

Honestly, I just played this game the other day and I can't remember what the music sounded like, other than "The Ballad of Brigitte" (which I love). I guess that tells you something.

Puzzles

I just replayed this game after a few years, and I must say that the puzzles were much easier than I remembered. I played on junior detective because I was sure that the puzzles were going to be difficult, and some were, but they weren't so difficult that I couldn't find what I needed somewhere in the game. I think the puzzles were fun, and they all dealt with the history of the area and the family (which is a big plus in my book).

"The Scare Factor"

This is definitely one of the scarier and jumpier games. If you are worried about that, I would suggest walking around the manor at a slow pace. I tended to walk around as quickly as possible and when I did at one point in particular... let's just say I screamed.

Other Odds and Ends

- Although Nancy didn't leave the manor, there were plenty of things to do and places to get lost inside.

- I enjoyed playing Skull and Bones with Jane, but the other games weren't very fun, especially Bul.

- The use of Cockney in this game was fantastic, and I loved trying to guess what the foods were before they were brought up.

- The history of the family was very interesting, and I appreciate how detailed it was (especially with the family tree - amazing!).

THANK YOU for reading my review! Feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by ConnectTheDots; August 15, 2009, 03:14 PM. Reason: Removing "spoiler-free" from title
    My reviews - STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, SSH, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CLK,
    TRN, DAN, CRE, ICE, VEN, HAU, RAN, WAC, SAW, CAP, ASH, TMB, DED, GTH and SPY

I love your reviews! They're so in-depth!

I want to buy this game, but I was wondering: How many things will be "offensive" to Christians? Do you think there are any?
    X---{ тһє тһіятєєη қєỵѕ }---{ hau ae }---X
    You know you wanna click it. :)
    Updated March 10, 2011.

Comment

=)

Thank you very much! I don't know if I can discuss that on this board, so maybe we can start a thread in the Case Closed board for CUR.

Edit: Actually, I just saw your thread on that board and I feel like everything that might be considered offensive has been mentioned.
      Last edited by ConnectTheDots; January 20, 2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much!
        Great review!!
        X---{ тһє тһіятєєη қєỵѕ }---{ hau ae }---X
        You know you wanna click it. :)
        Updated March 10, 2011.

Comment

Very good review! This is one of my favs, and there is so muc to do in it! The only thing i thought differently then you was the puzzles. I was stuck on them forever! But i'm pretty bad when it comes to HER puzzles! Also, good advice in taking the corners "Slowly". I know what part your talking about, and i screamed my head off!

Good review!
          Missing the old Herinteractive boards & all the amazing friends that used to be on here <3

Comment

Thanks again!

naomi&james, I can see what you are talking about. The first time I played the game, I thought that the puzzles were difficult, especially near the end, but they are not impossibly difficult. Everything you need is in the game somewhere. You may need a hint as to where to find the answer, but otherwise, I think the puzzles can be solved without major problems.

Comment

Im in the middle of this game. One character always pops out of places and i think like you it made me scream. I also tried to guess the food before it came to! Great review. Cant wait to finish it :)

Comment

Very good review!
                I have always liked this game too, even though that...certain character never got tired
                of scaring me...
                Reps!
                ((Cola))
                .......i am
                -// ..a . n i c e . s h a r k ,
                not a mindless eating machine.
                .....If I am to change this image,
                ..I must first change myself. →\\
                .............fish are FRIENDS, not FOOD.

Comment

dreamadream and Cola, thanks so much for commenting! Yeah, that character is definitely one of the creepiest in the series.

Comment

Oh, yes, the scary part! I thought I knew exactly what was to happen before, but apparently not! I gasped, rolled my chair back, and could feel the color drain out of my face. That was my second time playing, and I was more confident, perhaps a little too confident!
                    "You'llNeverEnjoyYourLifeLivingInsideTheBox" ~~The Amazing Greyson Chance

Comment

Thanks for commenting, PenguinND! I always forget about that part when I replay the game so it always surprises me. =]

Comment

I think I know what you're talking about walking quickly. My experience: I was so surprised by what I saw, my heart pounded hard against my chest. I couldn't sleep for days because of that.
                        SCK2FINSHACURCLKTRN
                        DANCREICECRYVENHAU
                        RANWACTOTSAWCAPASH

Comment

I haven't played this game yet, I was just about to when I read the part when you screamed...I am a total scardey cat so I was wondering if I should go on and play the game? And if I do play it, if I walk really slowly I won't scream like a maniac?

And could anyone give me a hint to what the scary part is??? And when does it happen?
                          Last edited by ndrew52; September 3, 2009, 10:57 AM.
                          ..i get your drift,..Joe.
                          i have lived with your drift for years.
                          i..am
                          ..s..a..d..d..l..e..d... × ´
                          with.....your.....drift.
                          ...........................(Frank Hardy)

Thanks Cou <3
                          I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Comment

Thanks to vuvp016 and ndrew52 for commenting!

ndrew52, remember that I consider this one of the scariest games in the series. There are several moments that might scare you. I don't want to post details about what particular part I'm referring to on here so that I won't ruin it for people who enjoy being scared.

I hope you enjoy the game if you do play it!

- Em/CTD
                            Last edited by ConnectTheDots; September 5, 2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for your reviews! I always find them very helpful. I have decided to now start writing my own reviews.

I did have one question. I'm a bit jumpy, and so I was wondering - do you scare easily? It would put some things in perspective for me.

Thanks again!

-Chet
                              Last edited by Chet Morton; November 21, 2009, 05:35 PM.
                              Hi, I'm Chet, good friend of the Hardy Boys. I love to accompany them on their adventures, except when they get into dangerous situations, and then, well, I wish I was someplace else.
                              I'm also a friend of Nancy Drew and love to hear about her cases. Here are the ones I've heard so far
                              :

Phantom of Venice - Captured!
                              Ransom of the Seven Ships - Paid!
                              White Wolf of Icicle Creek - Tamed!

Comment

Working...
                              X