Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Well-Designed Game: A Cake Re-Review

My Introduction
    Bonjour! I'm disneygirl12, and I've returned to review the game Danger by Design once more. Upon replay, I did find myself liking this game, but there are a few points I want to address this time around that I didn't in my original review. So let's go!
    Nancy goes undercover to work for Minette, a famous fashion designer in Paris. Nancy's mission is to find out why Minette's been behaving so strangely lately - falling behind in work, firing employees, and of course, that mask she's yet to take off. And it turns out that her studio (which is located in an old windmill) may hold a few secrets of its own.

Fruitcakes [cons]
    It's very strange what this game does with the characters. Three of them just disappear at certain points in the game, and the other two barely get spoken to. This leads to overall very little character interaction.
    The game has two plots, one of those being the plot about Minette's behavior. Unfortunately, this plot gets set aside in favor of a different and, honestly, kind of boring subplot which takes up a good chunk of the game. The ending tries to wrap things up nicely, but it felt kind of messy.
    The puzzles - there weren't that many, and the ones we have are either really simple or kind of complicated.

Good Cakes [pros]
    Minette. She MAKES this game. The voice acting for her is phenomenal and she has some really interesting quirks. She's an overall very interesting and memorable character. (Now you know why I wish the game focused more on her subplot.)
    This game has multiple animation sequences all throughout which I found really impressive, considering this game came out in 2006.
    The incorporation of the vendors was so neat. You can get some information about how to solve certain puzzles by purchasing things from them, or simply buy things that you'll need to use later on in the game. It works so great here and is one of the things that really sticks out about this game.
    The ending...yeah, it's certainly...different, to say the least. :P It's very strange, but then again, it's not terribly surprising if you think about it. You can even "prepare" for this ending, which I thought was a great touch. And honestly, I find this scene kind of fun. It has awesome music to accompany it as well.

Pancakes [so-so's]
    There are a number of locations to go to, some of which were rather fun (like Pont Neuf). However, there isn't a whole lot to explore at each place.
    The characters were alright. I didn't really LIKE many of them, but at the same time, I didn't dislike anyone. They were just okay, but this could have been improved if we got to speak to them more.
    There are a number of tasks in this game, and while a few of them are rather enjoyable, some REALLY come out of nowhere.

All in all, DAN is an enjoyable ND game with some very memorable features - the vendors, the animation scenes, and of course Minette herself. (I forgot to mention, there were also some obvious nods to past games. Those were awesome.) The game's not perfect, though; the puzzles and tasks could have been improved, and we could have gotten to know our characters more. But on the whole, I find myself liking this game despite its flaws. Thus, my final score for this game is a 3 out of 5 stars.
    Thank you very much for reading! Feel free to let me know what you thought of this game; comments are always welcome! :)

= Good!

Read my "last" review, on Ransom of the Seven Ships.
    Read my "next" review, on Ghost of Thornton Hall.
    Read my original review for this game.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Last Game: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
    Next Game: The Creature of Kapu Cave
    Last edited by disneygirl12; February 8, 2015, 08:52 PM.
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

I love your reviews! I think it's interesting that you review the games after a few plays, because my opinion of the games definitely change the more I play them. Some that I thought I loved lose their appeal for me and some that I was "meh" about at first get better each time through!
    I was wondering what you meant when you said that you can "prepare" for the ending of this game? I am getting ready to play DAN again and want to make sure I don't miss that this time through because the ending has always seemed a little out of place to me in this game.
    Thanks and I look forward to reading more of your reviews!

Comment

Originally posted by BeulahBear View Post
      I love your reviews! I think it's interesting that you review the games after a few plays, because my opinion of the games definitely change the more I play them. Some that I thought I loved lose their appeal for me and some that I was "meh" about at first get better each time through!
      I was wondering what you meant when you said that you can "prepare" for the ending of this game? I am getting ready to play DAN again and want to make sure I don't miss that this time through because the ending has always seemed a little out of place to me in this game.
      Thanks and I look forward to reading more of your reviews!
      Thank you for the comment! Yeah, I find that that happens to me every so often. Some games hold up, but others might be better to me on replay or lacking, which was what prompted me to write a second review for DAN. :D
      There's a certain item in the game that gives you the information you need for the ending challenge, but obtaining it is optional. I'm not sure I can say much more about it on this board, but you may be able to get more help on the Hints & Tips board or by searching old threads on the game's discussion board.
      Thanks again for commenting! :D
      .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
      ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
      ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
      ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Working...
      X