Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAN Review

Danger By Design: released in 2006

Based on the Book: Death By Design (Nancy Drew Case Files #30, published in 1988)

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Somewhat closely. The book involves a fashion designer receiving threats so the plot is similar, but there are many differences between the book and game.

The Mystery/Crime: Why the fashion designer Minette is acting so strangely.

Mode Of Transportation: The Metro

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No, but the days do change

What is learned about in this game?: The French language, French history, fashion design, photography

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy is hired to go undercover as an assistant to a fashion designer in Paris to investigate the designer's bizarre behavior and find out why she is behind schedule in her work.

Brief Character Synopsis:

Dietter Von Schwesterkrank - A German fashion photographer
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Til Schweiger

Heather McKay - Minette's assistant and an aspiring designer
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Heather Matarazzo

Jean Michel Trouquenard - A fashion editor and critic
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Fabrice Luchini

Jing Jing "JJ" Ling - An Australian plus-size model who works for Minette
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Sophie Monk

Minette - a temperamental fashion designer
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Milla Jovovich

Phone Characters:

Bess Marvin - Nancy's friend

Frank Hardy: Nancy's friend

George Fayne - Nancy's friend

Hugo Butterly - Minette's fashion designer rival

Joe Hardy: Nancy's friend

Lynn Manrique - Historian who is trying to get information on the moulin that houses Minette's studio

Prudent Rutherford - Socialite who has hired Minette to design outfits for her

Zu - Explorer of the catacombs

Other characters
    :

The vendors - Monsieur Marchand, Malika, and Monique

My favorite quotes:

"Stuff. I want...stuff. New stuff that's just like this old stuff, only different." - Minette

"It's all very weird, but it works, and believe me, without it, she would be impossible to work for. With it, she's a mere nightmare to work for." - Heather McKay

My Thoughts: From reading other reviews, it seems like this is a "love it or hate it" game. I am on the "love it" side. I really liked it when I played it the first time and I enjoy replaying it. There are quite a few different locations to explore and the puzzles are challenging yet fun. I really liked going to the park and looking at the different items the vendors were selling and that new items would pop up from time to time. It was also a pretty long game, which is great. There were also a lot of fun references to previous games.

The one thing I didn't like about this game was that there was not much to do with either Jean Michel or JJ. I would have liked to have had more interaction with those characters.

My Random Comments: I know a lot of people have issues with this game because they feel the ending is ridiculous. I agree that it is quite far-fetched. However, I think several of the games that came after it also had very far-fetched endings. It seems that there was a "crazy ending" phase for awhile. However, since I liked this game a lot, the crazy ending in it didn't bother me much.

My Rating: 8/10
Working...
X