• What I ~Really~ Thought: DAN Edition

...........................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:
    ¤§¦¨¥©¤¥§¦¥¨©
    Danger by Design
    ¤§¦¨¥©¤¥§¦¥¨©
    Edition

Plot

Minette, the world renowned fashion designer, has been acting a little eccentric lately. She’s hidden her face behind a mask, been throwing temper tantrums left and right, and her assistants are lucky to last a week without being fired. You as Nancy Drew, have been flown to Paris to go undercover as a fashion intern and investigate what’s causing the strange behavior.

So as you can imagine, this isn’t a very threatening case nor is it spooky. Also, don’t expect to see a lot of fashion or Paris. On top of this, you don’t spend much time working on the case you were hired to solve but rather on something that is seemingly unrelated.

the plot gets 3/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics and Setting

The character design has improved a bit and the people aren’t anywhere near as blurry as they were in TRN. In fact, I didn’t notice it at all. As for the backgrounds, they look nice enough but aren’t particularly impressive.

I’ve always loved Paris, unfortunately you don’t get too see much of it. You hop around to various offices and homes but the only historically cool thing you get to see are the catacombs. Well, actually you’re just sort of near the catacombs, you don’t get to walk through all of the skeletons.

combined: 4.5/10

Puzzles

I've read some reviews that say the puzzles were easy, but I found that some of them were very hard. I suppose it depends on your gaming style. The thing is, there aren’t that many puzzles and the ones that do exist just aren’t fun.

I give them 2/10

Characters

And here we have yet another example of a game where the characters are just there. You do need them occasionally but the people are just not as involved in the overall story as they used to be. Dropping any kind of comparisons, they’re pretty bland on their own. Minette may have some of the "it" factor that makes a character memorable, but you don't get to interact with her as much as I would have liked.

3.5/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

Just another abrupt ending that has a rather odd choice of culprit and inconsistent gameplay. To put it simply: it isn’t a fun ending, and it doesn’t make much sense.

I give it 1/10

Overall

I know that a lot of people really love this game and I just don’t. It’s one of my least favorites in the series and, IMHO, it’s not very fun. But that’s just one girl’s opinion. Maybe you’ll think it’s the greatest game ever. Play it and form your own opinion

Overall score: 3/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 1/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 7/10

"Should I buy this game?"

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. If you end up not enjoying this game, don't let that stop you from trying others in the series. There is a ton of variety.

Happy Gaming!
    MyCatTilly
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; June 19, 2010, 11:32 AM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

While I agree in some of these parts, others I do not. You do interact with everyone, a lot. The same amount as all of the other games. Nancy goes to find out about this mask and you do learn about it; also, you learn another mystery. The reason you don't necessarily work on the case, is because, well. To figure out the mystery, you have to do things to figure it out. I will always remember Minette, as I remember all characters. How she says, "rude", the mask, everything has qualities of remembering her and another thing: her tantrums.
    But, I also agree how we didn't really get to see much of Paris, but we saw a fair share. Nothing like the major trademarks of Paris.
    My personal overall score is a 6/10 now, but it's totally your opinion. Great review all the same.

Comment

:D

Another great review.
      I really did not see the point of any charcter except Minette (and the park vendors :D) so I completely agree with you there.
      But........you mention that some people might think this is the greatest game ever......
      Not quite. But nearly. ;)

Wait. Why is this only two stars?
      Elenora
      Last edited by Elenora; May 13, 2009, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I loved this game. But, if you look at each individual section of the game, it really isn't all that great. I agree with you on most of this! Great review.
        .nicole.

SCK | STFD | MHM | TRT | FIN | SSH | DOG | CAR | DDI | SHA | CUR | CLK | TRN | DAN | CRE | ICE | VEN | RAN | WAC

Thanks if you helped me with anything!

Comment

Yeah,some parts(I personally liked learning about Noisette and the decoder)were fun.Most of it was mind boggling!I thought the ending was so cheesy,though.Well that's my opinion.Anyone can think differently than I can.
          "Look, I'm Woody! Howdy, howdy, howdy!" -Toy Story

Comment

I don't agree at all...but it was still a great review. This was my alltime favorite game!

But he was pierced for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. The punishment that brought us peace was upon him. By his wounds we are healed. We all like sheep have gone astray. Each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:5-6

Mysteries I have solved-
            Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
            Secret of the Old Clock
            Danger by Design
            Creature at Kapu Cave
            Secret at Shadow Ranch
            Treasure in the Royal Tower
            Danger on Deception Island
            The Haunting of Castle Malloy
            The Phantom of Venice
            THe Haunted Carousel
            The White Wolf of Icicle Creek

Mysteries I am working on-
            Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
            The Ransom of Seven Ships

Who loves Linus Van Pelt? I do!!!!

Comment

I am surprised you didn't say anything about the market. I found the market to be my thorn in the flesh playing DAN. It moved soooo slowly. I had to listen to each person spiel over and over and over. And I had to paint to earn $$ a million times in a row. AHHHH! That was my least fave part.

I have to admit, I enjoyed the ending (especially the funny thing we got to do to beat the culprit) and I loved all of the characters except Deiter. But yeah, the ending didn't make much sense. A lot of loose ends.
              Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

From what you've posted it sounds like a bad game. Thanks for the good review.

Comment

Originally posted by bro/sis team View Post
                  I am surprised you didn't say anything about the market. I found the market to be my thorn in the flesh playing DAN. It moved soooo slowly. I had to listen to each person spiel over and over and over. And I had to paint to earn $$ a million times in a row. AHHHH! That was my least fave part.

I have to admit, I enjoyed the ending (especially the funny thing we got to do to beat the culprit) and I loved all of the characters except Deiter. But yeah, the ending didn't make much sense. A lot of loose ends.

What's the market?

Comment

Originally posted by DrewCat View Post
                    What's the market?
                    You have to go to a park with three vendors in order to buy things you need and you paint pictures for one of them in order to get money.
                    //hope I helped\\

.we found out secrets can kill.
                    .we listened for the message in the haunted mansion.
                    .we found the treasure in the royal tower.
                    .we witnessed the final scene.
                    .we solved the secret of the scarlet hand.
                    .we trained the ghost dogs of moon lake.
                    .we rode the haunted carousel.
                    .we faced the danger on deception island.
                    .we uncovered the secret of shadow ranch.
                    .we broke the curse of blackmoor manor.
                    .we discovered the secret of the old clock.
                    .we were on board for the last train to blue moon canyon.
                    .we survived the danger by design.
                    .we learned the legend of the crystal skull.
                    .we unmasked the phantom of venice.
                    .we braved the haunting of castle malloy.
                    .we payed the ransom of the seven ships.
                    .we heeded the warnings at waverly academy.
                    .we followed the trail of the twister.
                    .we saw the shadow at water's edge.
                    .we destroyed the captive curse.
                    .we had an alibi in ashes.

Comment

Working...
                    X