Ghost Dogs of Meh Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Dogs of Meh Lake

I remember not being too excited about this game when I first heard about it, but playing the game ended up being more fun than I anticipated. My favorite part of this game was learning Roman Numerals. This game’s tutorial on Roman Numerals that I read when I was around twelve has stuck with me through adulthood, and I find that pretty miraculous. However, when I replayed the game and considered the trajectory of the storyline, I’ve realized that this game has some huge flaws that take away from the playing experience.

Nancy is called to Moon Lake to help out Sally, a friend of her Dad’s. There’s something at Moon Lake that’s disturbing Sally, but she won’t tell Nancy until Nancy visits. However, Sally chickened out before Nancy arrived and left Nancy there alone to investigate. Conveniently, Nancy is trapped on the property because a large dead tree fell behind her car and blocked her in.

My big issue with this game is the chores. Normally, I don’t mind Nancy’s chores because they don’t take too long to do and are rather fun. However, in this game, Nancy has to take pictures for one of the characters and it requires a minimum of three in-game days to complete. While taking these pictures, she also needs extra equipment which turns into another chore for another character that is also rather lengthy. Also, the reason why Nancy’s doing all of these chores is to pay off a debt to the first character for loaning her his spark plug. Technically, Nancy could have ignored these chores in order to solve her mystery in record time, but unfortunately completing these chores triggers an unrelated event that gives Nancy the final materials required to solve the mystery. With this gameplay and lack of plot progressions, there is certainly a lot left to be desired in this game.

The characters are also subpar at best. There are only three—Red, Emily, and Jeff. Nancy meets Red first. He’s a local bird watcher whose personality is dominated by his obsession with birds. Emily owns a store on the lake that looks a lot more exciting from the outside than it is on the inside. She’s portrayed as helpful and witty, but there’s nothing about her that really stands out. The best character in the game is Jeff since Nancy learns more about him as the game progresses.

What I did really enjoy about this game, besides learning Roman Numerals, is the background history that was concocted. Early in the mystery, Nancy learns that her friend’s cabin was once the home of a notorious gangster from the prohibition era. Of course, the history is kept very PG, but it’s entertaining nonetheless, especially when Nancy talks on the phone with the gangster’s old girlfriend. She is hilarious to talk to and she is friends with a phone contact from a previous Nancy Drew game…
    😁. I also think that it’s kind of cool that the Roman Numerals played a recurring role in this game, instead of only being part of one task.

No, this game is not perfect, but is it worth the play? Yes. Despite the flaws, there is a lot of fun to be had in this game, and be sure to search up its Easter egg—I rank it as one of the best ones in the entire series.

I discovered that Secrets can Kill. I Stayed Tuned for Danger. I read the Message in a Haunted Mansion. I uncovered the Treasure in a Royal Tower. I watched the Final Scene. I washed away the Secret of the Scarlet Hand. I pet the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake. I rode the Haunted Carousel. I dodged the Danger on Deception Island. I lassoed the Secret of Shadow Ranch. I overcame the Curse of Blackmoor Manor. I unwound the Secret of the Old Clock. I traveled on the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. I unveiled the Danger by Design. I captured the Creature of Kapu Cave. I discussed politics with the White Wolf of Icicle Creek. I unearthed the Legend of the Crystal Skull. I unmasked the Phantom of Venice. I exposed the Haunting of Castle Malloy. I paid the Ransom of the Seven Ships. I heeded the Warnings of Waverly Academy. I chased the Trail of the Twister. I stood in the Shadow at the Water’s Edge. I shattered the Captive Curse. I upheld the Alibi in Ashes. I opened the Tomb of the Lost Queen. I condemned the Deadly Device. I sang to the Ghost of Thornton Hall. I did justice for the Silent Spy. I repaired the Shattered Medallion. I navigated the Labyrinth of Lies. I illuminated the Sea of Darkness. I was awake at Midnight in Salem.
Working...
X