Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of this game?? (NO spoilers please)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8/10. Fantastic characters, music and graphics up to par, and puzzles that fit the game well. But the plot was initially too unoriginal and the ending evidence was very unbelievable and in my opinion, absolutely ridiculous.
    `;',.><

THE STORY OF HEROES AND THIEVES
    my next ae, coming soon

Comment

Too short and too few places to explore...I just felt very closed in while playing. I worry that HER is making their games smaller and smaller I mean, they could have faked a larger house just by putting an extra hallway or two. Remember the Haunted Mansion game? That house wasn't much bigger than this one...other than that, great game, but still I can only rank it 5/10 because of that AND because I wish it had been longer.

Comment

4/10

4/10

I wouldn't say that it was absolutely terrible, but there are several things the this game, and the two preceding it, lack. As many other members pointed out, the game was too short. I started it last evening around 7PM, went to bed at 10PM, woke up at 8AM, and finished it two hours later with my bowl of cereal. That totals up to five hours.

The graphics and music are superb and always improving, but the house and grounds in general (I believe this was heavily touched upon as well) were too limited - it made me feel somewhat claustrophobic.

This leads me to my next point: plot and character development. The plot seemed too unoriginal - in the beginning of the game, I immediately was thinking of HCM (Haunting of Castle Malloy). Conversations are now boring and don't tend to reveal case-breaking or even vaguely interesting information - In older games, the way you conducted a conversation could affect the outtake of a game (I'm especially thinking of DBD - Danger by Design). Nancy also seems to repeat herself quite often, as do the other characters. You can annoy a character as much as you want without being punished - you used to get fired/kicked out/etc. if you made someone mad. As opposed to cliff-hangers, there are plot-holes that are don't make one writhe with anticipation, but are rather annoyed and somewhat confused, leading the entire scenario to be cheesy and underdeveloped. This causes the games to be shorter than usual, and I personally blame the script-writer for this.

Some players may find comfort with the decrease in difficulty regarding the puzzles, but this only takes away from the game and makes it too easy. All of the hints and answers are given to the player, and there is no need to integrate outside information. Sure, you have one book that contains accurate, truthful, historical information, but you don't need to consult it at all if you waited long enough for the solution of the puzzle to be given to you! The player used to learn foreign languages (albeit only about twenty words or a few expressions, it's still something) and need to collect several clues and items in order to figure out one big puzzle. In this game, you only need about one or two clues for each puzzle.

Also, in other games, there were more side puzzles (not required for finishing the game) and activities. It could be argued that these were just time fillers, but without them the game feels empty.

It's hard to give criticism without giving examples, and it's hard to give examples without giving spoilers. As first stated, this game wasn't atrocious or mind-blowingly terrible - just simple-minded and narrow. There is a targeted denomination (10-14 years), and perhaps it is my fault for forgetting the fact that I am asking too much from people who are simply trying to appeal to an age group younger than myself. A lot of work goes into this to plan, develop, cast voices, program, market, meet deadlines, etc., and in that it is obvious that there is a lot of stress and time spent.

Comment

This seemed like another short game from Her Interactive. I was just thinking back to the earlier ND games and how much each one differed from the others. It seemed as though this plot had been recycled from a previous game, but had a few differences. While I appreciate the graphics and the background setting, I felt the characters could have been developed a little more. Not to mention there could have been many more places to explore on the grounds. In the opening scene Thornton Hall looks HUGE! Once I got inside I was very disappointed there were only a few areas and rooms in the house I could go into. I was also hoping I would be able to explore more of the grounds. Overall, it just didn't seem like there were that many puzzles as in previous games. The game wasn't horrible, but wasn't the best Her Interactive has ever made.
          Last edited by kt218; May 26, 2013, 10:22 AM.
          Cases Closed:
          SCK SCKR STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW CAP ASH TMB DED GTH

Comment

I really like this game. Sure it got some jump scenes and scare factor but I enjoyed it. I give it 9/10 because of the settings and the characters!
            ~ MD12 ~

Comment

The whole time I was playing it I was really engaged and I thought it was great... but the ending bugs me. It doesn't feel like it makes sense, and it was a tad dissatisfying. So I give it an 8/10. Well done Herinteractive :) I'm looking forward to the next game!

Comment

Nine out of Ten

I give this game a 9. I really liked talking to the characters, and seeing what they thought of the other characters. The tie-in with Jessalyn's disappearance and the family's past worked perfectly well.

I also really liked the graphics and music, as always, and the puzzles were great - different from others in the series, and a nice range in difficulty.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this game.
                .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
                ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
                ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
                ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

3/10

Sadly I did not like this game at all. It felt rushed and short. And promised that this would be the scariest game so far was a big disappointment. During no time did I feel scared; sure some of the effect did make me jump since they were surprise-effect. And the environment did not make me feel scared of spooked. I will publish a longer review.

Comment

3/10. Not as bad as DED or TMB, but still falls flat on its face

The game is short with a tiny, rushed and claustrophobic feel (if you are expecting a manor, think more along the lines of 3 rooms). I felt the story line fell flat, as well as the characters. There is not much complexity, no sub plots, no ties to history.
                    The games lately have made me want to stop playing, this one included. Something about the writing style is throwing me off. Since they changed the interface (which I have no issues with) the writing also seems to have changed. Characters are less responsive, have less to say, have less meaningful things to say, and plots are highly convoluted and nonsensical at some points and then shoot off into dry simplicity at other moments. This game was no exception to this recent pattern.
                    Last edited by oceanxatlantic; June 11, 2013, 12:17 PM.
                    It's never too late to be who you might have been...[ George Eliot ]

reviews:TMBxASHxCAPxSAWxRANxHAUxVEN

Comment

I gave it a 9, but now that I think about it I wish I wouldn't have rated it so high. I found many flaws in the game. I wish that the game was much longer, and I felt by the end there just wasn't even a mystery anymore. As the game progressed it got more and more boring at least that's what I think. If I would be able to rate it again I would give it a 6. There are also many good things about this game though as well. The graphics are phenomenal and I thought it had just the right amount of spookiness.

- hannah
                      The one person who never wins any awards at the end of the game.

Comment

I really wish it was longer!!! Plus, unlike other ND games, this didn't have much history in it. Although the family past was cool. But, I wish it had more complexity. Still, it was a great game, really creepy and suspenseful!!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanxatlantic View Post
                          The game is short with a tiny, rushed and claustrophobic feel (if you are expecting a manor, think more along the lines of 3 rooms). I felt the story line fell flat, as well as the characters. There is not much complexity, no sub plots, no ties to history.
                          The games lately have made me want to stop playing, this one included. Something about the writing style is throwing me off. Since they changed the interface (which I have no issues with) the writing also seems to have changed. Characters are less responsive, have less to say, have less meaningful things to say, and plots are highly convoluted and nonsensical at some points and then shoot off into dry simplicity at other moments. This game was no exception to this recent pattern.
                          What the characters have to say I don't really think has changed, nor have they become less meaningful. If you talk to Harper you'll find she has a few rather meaningful yet saddening lines like, "I wanted to be her when I grew up. But then one day I was older than my sister, and older still today".
                          Also I don't think all the Nancy Drew games need a tie to history, I liked how they made up their own history with this game, like the unlucky past of the Thortons over the years. Even though real history (like they TRIED to do with the Grey Lady, but didn't really go into much) does make it seem like something that COULD really happen, I still thought this approach was just as good.
                          Yes at first the ending was a little bit nonsensical when I first thought about it, but when you think about it, it makes sense. Also, it gives the player a feel as if, maybe the ghost WAS real, I mean, that excuse is a little weak, so perhaps...
                          Though I am curious what you mean by "less responsive", can you give me an example please?

Comment

I gave it a 9/10 because I wish the game was longer and had more creepy parts but most of all, I wish it made just a little more sense in the end.***edited*** But overall, I loved the game...espacially HARPER!!!!!! Love her!
                            Last edited by catsandbooks; June 23, 2013, 10:20 AM.
                            My love still lies there buried under silent ice and sleep
                            A grave left unattended ¸·°¨¯¨°·¸.......²
                            ..by the word I couldn't keep. `·-·`.....)¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
                            .........¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸....².....¸.·°¨¯¨°·.,¸_¸,.·`..³..`·-·`
                            .....³ `·-·`......`·.,¸_¸,.·`
                            ©disneygirl12

Comment

I would give this game an 8.5/10. There were parts I really did enjoy such as the graphics and I thought it had some interesting puzzles however I was extremely disappointed with the games ending and found it to be very unbelievable. Also I found it to be somewhat similar to previous games such as Haunting of Castle Malloy, Message in the Haunted Mansion, and a times even Curse of Blackmoor Manor. While the game was well done and interesting at times I just feel that HER should steer away from haunted mansions/castle scenarios for a while.

Comment

9!

The pros:
                                -background story was intriguing
                                -music was beautiful
                                -the culprit wasn't obvious
                                -I loved the setting
                                -you get to solve two mysteries
                                -the ending wasn't abrupt
                                -nice and scary
                                -I never got bored
                                -always something to do
                                -setting was perfect

The cons:
                                -puzzles toward the end were a little too hard
                                -speaking of puzzles, that clock puzzle was a nightmare
                                -the plot was a little too much like Castle Malloy
                                -hardly any snooping

This was a pretty awesome game. I loved how there were lots of places to explore, and all the passageways were fun. I absolutely LOVED the background story. It was very interesting. And this game is the scariest I've played next to SAW. I really liked this one, but it didn't quite make it to my favorites list.

Anywho, 9/10!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X