Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of this game?? (NO spoilers please)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOT a favorite!

This game seemed to be very limited in where you could go and what you could snoop in. It felt more like playing a Big Fish game instead of a Nancy Drew game. Some of the puzzles seemed to be just stuck in there without being an actual part of the plot. Had to resort to help on a few as there were no clear directions on what the expected outcome was. I would like to see the more complex games again like some of the older ones.

Comment

I rate this game 9/10.

This game has a classic ND feel to it. I have played all the ND games and this one reminds me of some of the older games in terms of secret passageways and locked boxes and rooms. Although the mansion itself is smallish, there are many places Nancy can explore, once she figures out how to access them!

Graphics are good except there was a sync problem with the characters in my game-- mouth movements didn't match with the speech. Often the characters' mouths were still moving after they had finished talking. The scenery is beautiful and well done, although as other posters have said, the sets are rather dark and it was hard to focus on details unless you were in a dark room.

The game is a little on the short side, but some of the puzzles are very challenging. I played on Master Sleuth level.

Great job, HER! I will def replay this one, at least once or twice! It was well worth the $20 I paid for it. I would highly recommend this game.
      Last edited by MysteryEye; June 29, 2013, 07:11 AM.
      GHOST OF THORNTON HALL . . . . . . Dare to Play!

Comment

The game was pretty cool, it had really cool graphics and it made me jump out of my seat a few times
        It had a pretty good plot and mansion, and graveyard had a really creepy feel. I also liked the ending and how you get to choose the ending.

The one thing i didnt like about it was on the junior detective level the checklist would give you answers to the puzzles which made me solve the game within 2 days. I would recomend playing on the master level.
        I have:
        FOUND THE TREASURE IN THE ROYAL TOWER
        SEEN THE GHOAST DOGS OF MOON LAKE
        RIDEN ON THE HAUNTED CAROUSEL
        HERD OF THE DANGER ON DECEPTION ISLAND
        DISCOVERED THE SECRET OF SHADOW RANCH
        HERD ABOUT THE CURSE OF BLACKMOOR MANOR
        STARTED THE SECRET OF THE OLD CLOCK
        BORDED THE LAST TRAIN TO BLUE MOON CANYON
        LEARNED ABOUT DANGER BY DESIGN
        SEEN THE CREATURE OF KAPU CAVE
        SEEN THE WHITE WOLF OF ICICLE CREEK
        HERD THE LEGEND OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
        SEEN THE PHANTOM OF VENICE
        HERD OF THE HAUNTING OF CASTLE MALLOY
        STOPPED THE RANSOM OF THE SEVEN SHIPS
        THROWN THE ALIBI IN ASHES
        HIDDEN THE DEADLY DEVICE
        SEEN THE GHOAST OF THORNTON HALL

Comment

9/10

I loved almost everything about this game. The characters were great (especially Harper), the setting was creepy, there weren't any chore-like puzzles, and I liked the new beginning, too. Another pro was of course the graphics which were as stunning as always, and the plot was pretty good.

But what I didn't like so much was the ending regarding Jessalyn. I would have rather her disappearance been...well, for a different reason. I also thought the culprit was so obvious near the end, whereas in other ND games I am left guessing until the final scene. Did anyone else feel that way?

Overall it was spooky (in the best way possible), clever, fun to play, and challenging (again, in a good way). Hope I didn't give anything away and good luck!

Comment

I loved this game so much!
            First of all the graphics were sooo amazing! But of course when are they not? :-)
            Also it was very creepy (which I loved)
            I loved all the characters so much, they were all so unique, especially Harper! (I really hope she's in another game!) lol
            Me and my friend played the game a ton of times to get to talk to Haper over again lol, and of course just to play the game.
            The only thing I didn't really like was the ending, it kind of left me questioning, me and my friend kind of came up with our own theory, but over all I absolutely loooved this game
            ... · ؛ ¯ ؛ · .
            .. .´ .. .. . • . .. )
            . *. ..........` · ´ . . . .... . · · · · . ...... .. ´ ¯ ` .
            . . . ` · . ... . . . ..... . ´ . . . . .. . . ` . .*. ...... . )
            . . . . . . . ` · . . . · ´ . . . . . . . .. . . . ` · . . . ·

I ... CHOOSE ... JESUS

For He sooo Loved the World He Gave His
            one and only son, that
            whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life John 3:16
            .؛ ¯ ؛ · .
            .. .´ .. .. . • . .. )
            . *. ..........` · ´ . . . .... . · · · · . ...... .. ´ ¯ ` .
            . . . ` · . ... . . . ..... . ´ . . . . .. . . ` . .*. ...... . )
            . . . . . . . ` · . . . · ´ . . . . . . . .. . . . ` · . .

Comment

Pretty Good

I liked Ghost of Thornton Hall except for how dark it always was that made the game much harder

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryEye View Post
                I rate this game 9/10.

This game has a classic ND feel to it. I have played all the ND games and this one reminds me of some of the older games in terms of secret passageways and locked boxes and rooms. Although the mansion itself is smallish, there are many places Nancy can explore, once she figures out how to access them!
                I loved this aspect of the game!

I rated it a 10 simply because it reminded me of what I consider the classics... MHM, FIN, DOG, and CUR! The game was spooky with lots of things popping out or moving at the corner of the screen, but at the same time, it was also a great mystery! The characters each had distinct personalities -- especially Harper, OMG -- and clues were all over the place. I loved the way the setting unfolded as Nancy explored, and how utilizing the inventory was sometimes challenging like in the old games. I was stumped several times but I liked putting in the effort! It was nice to snoop and figure out puzzles based on the information Nancy had, rather than click the Hint button and learn that the solution had nothing to do with the plot itself.

I know that I will play this game again and again.

I bought this based on the reviews in this thread (it was between this and ASH, two of three I haven't played!!) and I am soo glad I chose GTH!!

It really felt like a throwback, akin to FIN and CUR (but with better technology!! I can't tell you how often I used Nancy's camera phone to avoid walking back when I knew something was important!) rather than a filler, which I adored.

Great game!! I hope the next one is just as good!
                ....¸•**•¸
                .../&&&&./\..•L a i a n n a•
                ...\&&&&/.(
                .../&&&/._/
                ...\&&&\
                .../&&&/_\
                ...././.._)
                ..././\___\
                ._/./..\___\____.•.___/|/¯|
                /__/...(_______________|__|
                ©tr2

Comment

I really did like this game, I think one of the things I got most excited about was how good the graphics were, particularly involving the characters, their movements are so much more fluid compared to the earlier games
                  I rate it a 9/10
                  It's Locked

Thanks ComicalCrafty for the sig!

Comment

Highly recommend!

This is a terrific game IMHO! It is now among my favorite games, and I have played them all thus far. I found it to be quite enjoyable. It wasn't way too easy, but wasn't frustratingly hard either. It was definitely worth the price and kept my interest all the way through!!
                    ~I remember when the first Fallon Carrington was Nancy Drew~

Love a p.r.n. T and D : S and J

I have: Learned that Secrets CAN kill (twice!!) found the message in the Haunted Mansion discovered the Treasure in the Royal Tower. watched the Final Scene rode the Haunted Carousel lifted the Curse off Blackmoor Manor discovered the Secret of the Old Clock listened to the Secret of Shadow Ranch taken the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon designed less danger. seen the Creature of Kapu Cave
                    loved and miss the White Wolf of Icicle Creek passed along the Legend of the Crystal Skull realized the Secret of the Scarlet Hand experienced Danger at Deception Island pet the Dogs at MoonLake
                    tuned out danger!!! unmasked the Phantom of Venice...
                    Rebuked the haunting of Castle Malloy. UNheeded the warnings at waverly academy. followed the trail of the twister. witnessed the Shadow at the water's edge. Was captivated by the curse of DAS MONSTER! Recovered from jail, freed the Queen from her tomb; am dealing with Tesla's coils, & have whispered with the ghost of Thornton Hall.

Comment

Def not my favorite, but all in all a good game. I really liked the characters in this one. I feel like HER is trying to give us a good mix between sleuthing/tasks/puzzles, and I appreciate that.

I personally like the games where Bess/George, Ned, or Frank and Joe get heavily involved. Also, I like it when there are lots of places for Nancy to go and she's not trapped in a small game space. I think GTH could have scored higher marks on those two counts.

On the plus side, it was creepy and fun, and like I said earlier, the characters were good.

I really miss games like Shadow Ranch and Old Clock, and more recent faves are Castle Malloy and Water's Edge.
                      It's up to you as Nancy Drew!

Comment

Hey friends at the HER forum! I just finished this game, and I really enjoyed it! I gave it an 8, but I am a tough grader.
                        The reasons why I didnt give this game a ten is mainly because I wish there was more places to go in this game...(I looove snooping its my favorite!)
                        Also, there were quite a few challanging puzzles I had issues with. Overall though the scare factor was on point on this game (I like the scarier ND's).
                        The ending was definately nothing that I was expecting, so I also really enjoyed that.
                        for HER interactive! Another great game
                        ...........,•*¨¯¨*•,. .. "Here you leave today and enter a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"~Walt Disney ..,•*¨¯¨*•, .
                        .......,•*¨¯¨*•, .....',¸¸,• ... ) ... .·´¯)............`·. .....( ... •,¸¸,' ...,•*¨¯¨*•,
                        ........(.....•,¸¸,'..............·´ . .·´ ...(.. . -:|:- ...). ...`·. ..`·. ...........',¸¸,• ....)
                        ........`×.,¸__¸,.×´¯) ...(_¸.·´ ........`×.,¸_¸,.×´.. ......`·.¸_) ...(¯`×.,¸__¸,.×´
                        .........·´ .,•*¨¯¨*•, ............................,•*¨¯¨*•, . `·.
                        ......................(_¸.·´ ...........`×.,¸¸,.×´¨¯¨`×.,¸¸,.×´ ...........
                        `·.¸_) ©I used part of L.bulldog's sig to make this!

Comment

OMG!! Good Game!!!

This game is really good!!! I love the creepy Nancy Drew games!!! However, this game is also sad, and it made me shed a tear or 2. This game was worth it!!!

Comment

I would generously rate it about a 7.5, rounded it up to a very generous 8 for the poll.

I loved the scenery and music, the plot, and the jumpscare moments (could have been much more scary or creepy, in my opinion, but I did get a few good jumps). The game was well-paced, and to me had a "classic ND game" feel to it due to the consistent atmosphere. The newer scary games too often (for me) have unnecessary bright or fun areas/parts in the game that disrupt the suspense– but GTH was consistently creepy throughout.

However, the game was too short for my liking. It took me only 3 days to finish this game, or <9 hours of playing, compared to the 10-12 I often spend replaying games. Rather disappointed by this, as I was expecting the game to last me a week.
                            I also feel that the game was too easy. Even on Master Detective, I never once got stuck in the game, and the puzzles were never that difficult either. Which is surprising as I found DED (and a couple recent games to a lesser extent) hair-rippingingly difficult. This is the first game in years that I haven't had to come on the messages boards and look for hints/spoilers. In fact, I never even thought of the message boards while playing, it was that easy.
                            I also found the plot (or more specifically, certain character's motives and backgrounds) to be a bit undeveloped.

Overall, GTH was fun, but unsatisfying. I will replay it one day, but not for quite a while, honestly.

Comment

I loved this game so much! I gave it a ten! I absoulutley loved the scenery and plot and the way Kate looked. I loved the cabin and brightness of the game too. I had no things I had wished to be changed.
                              Hollywood Nights... .. -:|:-
                              .. -:|:- ..............,•*¨¯¨*•, ...... -:|:-
                              ......,•*¨¯¨*•, .....',¸¸,• .....`•. ................•´¯)
                              .....( ... •,¸¸,'.. -:|:- . ..........`×.,¸__¸,.×´ ..•´
                              ......`•. ...................,•*¨¯¨*•, ...........•´
                              ..........`•. ....`•. ....',¸¸,• ....). -:|:- ( ..............,•*¨¯¨*•,
                              .. -:|:- .....`•. . `•. `×.,¸__¸,.×´ .........`×.,¸__¸,.×´ ... •,¸¸,'
                              ..................`•.¸_) .....................................-:|:-

©L.bulldog + Tigerpaw

Comment

Overall, I didn't fully enjoy this game as I wish I did. The first time I played the game it took me about 3-4 hours to complete whereas in past games it would take me a few days to complete it. I thought the puzzles were really easy and didn't provide any type of challenge at all. What i did like though is how there were 3 different possible endings. I didn't really enjoy the characters as much as I had in previous games. I also don't like the new feature where you can see what awards you've won and then you can never win that award again. I would always replay ND games just to work on winning all of the awards all over again! Overall I didn't enjoy this game as much as I thought I would but I did really enjoy the plot.

Comment

Working...
                                X