X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - » my gth rєvيєw •.¸_¸,.•´¯)

.......,·´¨¯¨`·¸........·’¨¯)
    ......(.....`·-·'.....·`....·`,·´¨¯¨`·¸
    ........`×.¸__¸.•*.....(....`·-·'.....)..·’¨¯)
    ............................`×. ¸_¸ .•*`......·`
    ..................//////...................¸.·`.,·´¨¯¨`·¸
    »..my gth review......(......`·-·'.....)
    ..........................................©`+.¸ __ ¸.+´

---
    Introduction
    Hi, everybody! My name's Erin if you didn't know, and today I'll be reviewing The Ghost of Thornton Hall, the newest edition to the Nancy Drew Adventure Series. I'll be reviewing off these 5 criterias: Plot, Setting, Characters, Puzzles, and the Ending. Please remember these are my personal opinions. (: I hope you enjoy the review, and please feel free to leave a comment!
    Star Chart:
    ★= Awful
    ★★= Not good
    ★★★= Average
    ★★★★= Great
    ★★★★★= Exellent

---
    Plot: ★★★★
    - Jessalyn Thornton's fateful sleepover at the abandoned Thornton estate was supposed to be a pre-wedding celebration, but the fun ended when she disappeared. While her family searches for clues, others refuse to speak about the estate's dark past. Did something supernatural happen to Jessalyn, or is someone in Thornton Hall holding something besides family secrets?
    - I loved the plot of GTH! I thought HER incorporating two mystery genres (kidnapping & ghosts/paranormal activity) was great! The only problem? It reminded me of a different ND with almost the exact same scenario: a soon-to-be married character goes missing and everyone thinks its a ghost. BUT, I did really enjoy the plot as the game continued on and got more and more interesting! There was a ton of little plot twisting moments that were wonderfully incorporated into the game!
    ---
    Characters: ★★★★
    - I really liked how the characters in GTH were all very different personality wise! Some of the accents could have been slightly more realistic, but they were pretty decent.
    Clara Thornton: The matriarch and the CEO of the family business. While Clara definitely had a very interesting character and past, I felt like we didn't get to see much of her when we talked to her. Some of that was because of holding back personal secrets, I know, but sometimes I felt like she was a little flat.
    Wade Thornton: Shady past, embarrassment to the family, yet most knowledgeable about the family. Unlike Clara, we definitely got to see all of Wade's character when we talked to him. I was never uninterested in what he had to say. Overall, I really liked Wade!
    Harper Thornton: The black sheep of the family. I thought Harper's character was fantastic. She provided a lot of comic relief when the game got somber, yet she, herself had anger and resentment bottled up inside that she let out at times.
    Colton Birchfield: The fiancée. Sort of a let-down for me. If it wasn't for one particular occasion, Colton would have been completely forgettable. He doesn't add a ton of insight to the game either. :/
    ---
    Setting: ★★★★★
    Great! There was a ton of places to go throughout the property, all of which were very creepy. It was nice that there weren't any doors that we couldn't go into (eventually).
    ---
    Puzzles: ★★★★★
    I loved the puzzles in GTH! They were all very different, yet tied into the game perfectly. I wasn't thinking, "What does this have to do with the game" at all! Also, with the new hint system (at least in Junior detective), fro the harder puzzles and tasks you could get hints and eventually spoilers if you needed them. I'll be honest, I used it A LOT. (; And I thought it was nice for those who don't have access to the hints and tips board to get spoilers and tips. Great job with the new system, I love it!
    ---
    Ending: ★★★★
    Good in the sense that it tied up all the loose ends. I felt like it was very very rushed at the end. The end could have been better led up to. But, I did like the end puzzles and how it all ended, too.
    ---
    Overall: ★★★★
    Great game! I enjoyed every minute I was playing, I didn't think there was one dull moment! I would definitely recommend this game to the lovers of ghost activity and even people who aren't into the paranormal. The game wonderfully incorporates every aspect it has. More games like this, please! (:

I hope you enjoyed this review! Again, please feel free to leave a comment or question!

- Erin

" I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them.
    But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from,
    we can still choose where we go from there. "
    Erin
    GTH Review
    Sig Shop

I skimmed through your perfect (and beautifully presented) review because I want to know only the basics and not spoil my surprise. I haven't played yet you see. But like you, I thought the plot sounded similar to HAU. Kind of odd they'd do such a similar setting like that.

You say you would recommend this game to those who enjoy paranormal activity, I for one do not. Do you think this game gets into the ghost aspect so deeply that it would be too much for my family? I mean, you don't know my family of course. But, for someone who is okay at seeing a fake ghost and then it going away... is that how it was?

What was it like being able to skip conversations? If Savannah or anyone else got too 'ghosty' in what they were saying would it be easy for us to fast-forward it?

Thanks for posting the review for us!
    Spread the word! On
    March 5
    We're going to set a new
    HER Record
    click here for more info

The HeR message boards taught me to be a girl who "isn't afraid"
    and to pursue my dreams! THESE very boards made me the
    creative girl I am today... thank you Herians! Though I don't have
    much time for ND these days, I sign in now and again to see
    what 'fun' is still being had here. -Penny

Comment

Originally posted by Drew Detective View Post
      I skimmed through your perfect (and beautifully presented) review because I want to know only the basics and not spoil my surprise. I haven't played yet you see. But like you, I thought the plot sounded similar to HAU. Kind of odd they'd do such a similar setting like that.

You say you would recommend this game to those who enjoy paranormal activity, I for one do not. Do you think this game gets into the ghost aspect so deeply that it would be too much for my family? I mean, you don't know my family of course. But, for someone who is okay at seeing a fake ghost and then it going away... is that how it was?

What was it like being able to skip conversations? If Savannah or anyone else got too 'ghosty' in what they were saying would it be easy for us to fast-forward it?

Thanks for posting the review for us!
      Hi Penny! I definitely think for people who aren't into ghosts the fast forward option (which will only fast forward one line of the conversation) is a great option. You can fast forward the parts you don't want to hear, and if it's important, Nancy will write it in her notebook. So you don't need to worry about missing anything important.

The "ghost" (whether you believe it's real or not) does show up quite a few times. When you do see it (without giving way too much) you don't interact with it, it just kind of shows up and leaves. So it's not too creepy. (;

- Erin
      " I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them.
      But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from,
      we can still choose where we go from there. "
      Erin
      GTH Review
      Sig Shop

Comment

That's very helpful! I feel so much better now about getting the game! Thank you Erin. Oh so you don't skip large chunks of the conversation at once, only small portions. That is so cool! Sounds great. Thanks again for writing the review!

-Penny
        Spread the word! On
        March 5
        We're going to set a new
        HER Record
        click here for more info

The HeR message boards taught me to be a girl who "isn't afraid"
        and to pursue my dreams! THESE very boards made me the
        creative girl I am today... thank you Herians! Though I don't have
        much time for ND these days, I sign in now and again to see
        what 'fun' is still being had here. -Penny

Comment