Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Game was...Disturbing: An Honest Review

Hello fellow Her-ians!
    So this is not going to be the most organized review, but I just wanted to say what I thought about this game.
    I've been a fan of the ND games & HeR for 10 years, and I've thoroughly enjoyed them. However, GTH is by far my least favorite game, and I'm not planning on playing it again- ever. I'm really sad that I feel this way about a game, but here's why.

The premise is fascinating- a ghost kidnapping a girl from a creepy family estate! Muahaha! My first impression was that it was going to be like CRY and SAW combined, with spooky moments around every corner! I thought it was going to have the fun, scary moments like SAW and then everything would fall into place perfectly in the end, with the ghost-person perpetrator caught, and everything would turn out happily ever after.

But, quite sadly, I was wrong.

This game doesn't have the fun, "oh no, there's the ghost!" feeling- this game is honestly a bit disturbing. I never thought I'd say that about a Nancy Drew game! Need I remind you this game is rated E- as in, my gradeschool brother could play it. Not sure what's with the rating. I was honestly, truly disturbed by this game- I know I'm not allowed to post spoilers here, but there were just some very disturbing things about who everyone thinks the ghost is, what the ghost's motive was, and especially how the person who the ghost is (supposedly) died in real life. You see a lot of genuinely disturbing things that I am honestly quite surprised were in a Nancy Drew game- especially one that's rated E. The whole ghost disturb-ery thing made me ask every few minutes, "Ok...ok this is the last part, right? Are we almost at the credits? PLEASE are we almost at the credits??" I've never felt like this about a game before...I know some people really like this game (I'm assuming for the scare factor) but this game was too much for me. I mean, I'm one of those people who really liked SAW, and I still didn't like GTH. But I found the game to be more disturbing than scary. And I'm an adult...um...

One of the other things that bothered me was that I couldn't remember the characters' names- maybe it was that I felt like no one ever said anyone else's names like ever, but it could have been that I was too freaked out by this game to remember them, I don't know. Anyway!

Also, the last thing that gets me about this game is the ending. What is with this ending, I don't know. It was quite...strange? Left me looking like this guy? And, goodness, if you do the wrong thing, it just...ends! It's not a second chance or anything! At least I don't think it was, don't quote me on that. But I thought that this was a really tragic ending to a really tragic game, and no matter what you do at the end, Nancy still ends up sounding disturbed in her letter home. Our Nancy? Disturbed? After all the other scary mysteries she's seen?! Nancy sounded just as disturbed as I was, and that was weird.

I just didn't understand the this-will-be-a-horror-game aura of this game, or why it freaked me out so badly. I actually haven't played any of the games after GTH just because GTH really freaked me out. I'm thinking of checking out LIE, but I certainly hope it's better than GTH, or at least less disturbing.
    Thanks for reading my review! I know I probably disagree with some people, but it's just what I thought.

EDIT: So I played this game again, and wrote another review. I found it to be much better the second time. http://community.herinteractive.com/...-Review-of-GTH
    Last edited by Athos the first; July 18th, 2018, 04:47 PM.
    -Jess
    Life is a lucid dream
    [Owl City]

I agree that parts of the game could be creepy and there were times when it caused me to jump. I didn't find those moments particularly disturbing, but more along the lines of something that gave you something to watch out for, but that is just me

But I feel that it wasn't all bad ***game ending details removed*** it showed that the relationships between the characters started to improve and would have a chance to heal. That ending was also the least depressing and implied that while relations between all the characters may never be what they could have been at least there is a chance of them finding something close to that.
    Last edited by hedgie; April 5th, 2015, 07:50 AM. Reason: Mod's Note: Never reveal game ending details unless on the Case Closed or individual game discussion board.

Comment

I think a lot of people like this game, myself included, not because it's "scary" or "disturbing" but because it had a lot of deep, real, tragic themes. It was rated E, because someone like your brother, as you mentioned, could play this game and wouldn't pick up on some of the tragic themes, but older players would be able to, and appreciate them more. I love this game, because of the raw emotion that's put into the game, and because of the slightly creepy atmosphere and music. I never found it scary (honestly, the only time I ever jumped was when the spider dropped down, while in SAW, I jumped out of my skin at everything! But that's for a different board) And not all the endings were tragic. If you chose to save everyone, it would end happily, while the other two endings were just kind of grim closings, which I thought were very realistic. The writer, Nik Blahunka, has written for the games since SAW I believe, and though in the past three games, I haven't really enjoyed some of the content of his writing (plus, what happened to being able to guide the conversation!?), I do think he's a talented writer to be able to form such a multi-layered plot in GTH. I just think his writing talents should be used elsewhere, and not in ND :) However, I would encourage you to try LIE. It wasn't "disturbing" in any sense that I can think of, and I feel it was a good step forward from what they had been doing.
      To the message boards: When I think of this place, I think of the many wonderful memories and friends that I made here as a young teen (some of which I have to this day!). I would just like to say thank you to everyone who made this place special and added so much joy to my life. From alternate endings, to entertaining message board games, to picking through the details of every game, to being so excited when a new game was released, to speculating if MID would ever come out, and of course to the time where so many of us sleuthed every inch of CRE to find that darn (fake) easter egg , I have had so much fun here and made so many memories. The boards may be all but dead but I will forever cherish this place, even if I never return to it. Thank you to you all

My threads:

R4JC!!
      Olivia Trey Penelope

Comment

Thanks, guys! I appreciate your reading my review and for your discussion.
        That's interesting about the tragic themes and dealing with them. I hadn't ever thought about that! I think this game was just a little too dark for me, but thanks for sharing your opinion, it's interesting to hear what other people think!
        -Jess
        Life is a lucid dream
        [Owl City]

Comment

Hi Athos the first. I had a similar reaction to the game, specifically the end. When I played it the first time, I did everything 'right' so it was okay and I was pleased with the outcome of the game. Seeing what HER did with the ending though, I decided to go back and play it again, choosing different options than I did the first time. I wouldn't say I felt disturbed, but more depressed and sad. Personally, I like it because the whole premise of the ending was quick-thinking but I can totally uncerstand why someone - especially if they picked the 'wrong' options the first time - would be genuinely upset by this ending. You're right, it is really dark.

I just wrote a review for this game, targeting players who prefer the classic games, and I've included a link to your review. If you'd like to see it, here's a link.

Great post!
          Casey
          Life moves pretty fast.

if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Comment

I really liked this game!
            I think it is the ghostiest(Word? It is now!) of the games since DOG and MHM. And, of course, SAW.
            I really liked that it was set in the South too. Maybe because I'm from the South. Just thought the setting was really cool. Honestly, the scenery reminded me a lot of CRY, another game which I really liked. I tend to like the darker, scarier games and I like when the characters have a lot of depth to them. Henry was sort of one that I felt sorry for in CRY though, whereas Harper is kind of off kilter and you're not sure whether to feel sorry for her...or be afraid of her, but hey, that's what keeps the game interesting!
            Anyways, I am looking forward to more games like this, or any Nancy Drew games! 👍🏻
            SapphireSleuth*

Check out my Alternate Endings!
            ~*Skyfall*~A VEN ae
            ~*~Everlasting~*~ A CRY ae
            ~A Rose By Any Other Name...~A DAN ae
            ~^>*Bittersweet Symphony*<^~ A TRT ae

Comment

Originally posted by Athos the first View Post
              Hello fellow Her-ians!
              So this is not going to be the most organized review, but I just wanted to say what I thought about this game.
              I've been a fan of the ND games & HeR for 10 years, and I've thoroughly enjoyed them. However, GTH is by far my least favorite game, and I'm not planning on playing it again- ever. I'm really sad that I feel this way about a game, but here's why.

The premise is fascinating- a ghost kidnapping a girl from a creepy family estate! Muahaha! My first impression was that it was going to be like CRY and SAW combined, with spooky moments around every corner! I thought it was going to have the fun, scary moments like SAW and then everything would fall into place perfectly in the end, with the ghost-person perpetrator caught, and everything would turn out happily ever after.

But, quite sadly, I was wrong.

This game doesn't have the fun, "oh no, there's the ghost!" feeling- this game is honestly a bit disturbing. I never thought I'd say that about a Nancy Drew game! Need I remind you this game is rated E- as in, my gradeschool brother could play it. Not sure what's with the rating. I was honestly, truly disturbed by this game- I know I'm not allowed to post spoilers here, but there were just some very disturbing things about who everyone thinks the ghost is, what the ghost's motive was, and especially how the person who the ghost is (supposedly) died in real life. You see a lot of genuinely disturbing things that I am honestly quite surprised were in a Nancy Drew game- especially one that's rated E. The whole ghost disturb-ery thing made me ask every few minutes, "Ok...ok this is the last part, right? Are we almost at the credits? PLEASE are we almost at the credits??" I've never felt like this about a game before...I know some people really like this game (I'm assuming for the scare factor) but this game was too much for me. I mean, I'm one of those people who really liked SAW, and I still didn't like GTH. But I found the game to be more disturbing than scary. And I'm an adult...um...

One of the other things that bothered me was that I couldn't remember the characters' names- maybe it was that I felt like no one ever said anyone else's names like ever, but it could have been that I was too freaked out by this game to remember them, I don't know. Anyway!

Also, the last thing that gets me about this game is the ending. What is with this ending, I don't know. It was quite...strange? Left me looking like this guy? And, goodness, if you do the wrong thing, it just...ends! It's not a second chance or anything! At least I don't think it was, don't quote me on that. But I thought that this was a really tragic ending to a really tragic game, and no matter what you do at the end, Nancy still ends up sounding disturbed in her letter home. Our Nancy? Disturbed? After all the other scary mysteries she's seen?! Nancy sounded just as disturbed as I was, and that was weird.

I just didn't understand the this-will-be-a-horror-game aura of this game, or why it freaked me out so badly. I actually haven't played any of the games after GTH just because GTH really freaked me out. I'm thinking of checking out LIE, but I certainly hope it's better than GTH, or at least less disturbing.
              Thanks for reading my review! I know I probably disagree with some people, but it's just what I thought.

EDIT: So I played this game again, and wrote another review. I found it to be much better the second time.
              me too i played this game but i find it very better than another's
              best regards
              Last edited by hedgie; May 14th, 2019, 04:12 AM. Reason: Mod's Notes: Outside web links are not allowed on the HER forums. The next occurrence will give you a ban.

Comment

Working...
              X