LIES Doesn't Live Up to Expectation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIES Doesn't Live Up to Expectation

I have been playing Nancy Drew games for well over 10 years now, and continue to purchase and play every game even now that I'm an adult. I've noticed in the last few years that the games hold my interest less and less and wondered if it's because I've outgrown them; but replaying the old games like Message in a Haunted Mansion, Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake, and (my personal favorite) Secret of Shadow Ranch has showed me that's not the case. What I love about those games is what was missing from LIES and has been missing from at least the last 7 releases. Here's what I thought about LIES overall:

Plot ★★☆☆☆
    I don't know if it wasn't well explained or if I just wasn't paying attention, but when LIES started I had no idea why Nancy was in Greece and what the mystery even was. I obviously inferred after a few minutes of game play that pieces had gone missing from the museum, but still don't know what Nancy was doing there in the first place. As the "plot" developed it really didn't hold my interest, it just felt like B version of Secret of the Scarlet Hand. The ending was especially disappointing, I felt like there was no race against the clock to catch the culprit and no final task to complete, it sort of just... ended.

Setting ★★★☆☆
    Greece could have been such an incredible setting for the game. It's not that this game was badly made, the design was beautiful like always. However, I would have loved to explore the city like we did in Paris and Venice but once again we're stuck in one location. One thing I loved about the older games is how interactive the setting is, even places and things that aren't important to solving the mystery can be investigated which makes the game more immersive and challenging. The underworld was this setting's biggest redeeming factor. I loved unlocking each section and investigating what was there.

Characters ★★★★☆
    I really enjoyed the characters in this game, They were all very unique an had very good depth of character. I loved learning about Niobe and Grigor's backstories, it made their characters so complex and interesting. I loved that each one had a very individual personality, Niobe was very shy and anxious, Grigor was humorous, and Thanos was kind of scary. I do wish we could have had more people to speak with on the phone though. The Hardy Boys are always great but I miss Bess and George! I just finished replaying The White Wolf of Icicle Creek and I wish there was more phone conversation like that, such as calling the other victims of the accidents, and speaking with the hospital and the geologist. It make's Nancy's world seem bigger and more real. I also really enjoyed the culprit at the end and how it was something very new.

Puzzles ★★☆☆☆
    Whew the puzzles. There were a lot of puzzles in this game and not in a good way. Most of the puzzles were completely tedious and felt like fillers to elongate the game play time. They were challenging, but several were repeats from other games. If you enjoy solving puzzle after puzzle with little advancement the plot or mystery then you will surely enjoy this game.

Overall Rating ★★★☆☆
    LIES was not a horrible game, I won't play it again but I definitely did not hate it. It was just yet another let down from Her Interactive. What made Nancy Drew games so enjoyable for players of all ages wasn't the puzzles it was the story. The games with really unique stories, tons of history and deep characters are the ones that keep us coming back for more. Please, bring these themes back, I miss learning from the games, I miss being on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what will happen and staying up until 3 Am because I don't want to stop playing. A few more games like what Her Interactive has been putting out recently and I may have to retire from the world of Nancy Drew.
    Last edited by kbrat_13; May 19, 2016, 11:32 AM.
Working...
X