Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIE Review

Labyrinth of Lies: released in October 2014

Based on the Book: The Greek Symbol Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #60, published in 1981)

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Not very closely. They both take place in Greece and both have to do with art theft, but those are pretty much the only similarities.

The Mystery/Crime: Theft/Forgery

Mode Of Transportation: None, as it takes place in a museum/theater and Nancy can walk everywhere

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: Greek Mythology, Greek letters, Greek artwork

Brief Plot Synopsis: While working at a museum in Greece, Nancy discovers that some of the art, jewelry, and other artifacts may have been stolen. An amateur theater group has been hired to put on a play in conjunction with the current exhibit's grand opening. Nancy investigates to discover if any of the actors could be involved with the thefts.

Brief Character Synopsis:

1. Grigor Karakinos - A charismatic young actor/stage manager who will be playing Hermes in the play
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Kellan Lutz

2. Niobe Papadaki - An artist who is making props for the play and is also very nervous about her first acting gig as Demeter in the play
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Kika Georgiou

3. Thano Ganas - An intimidating and angry actor who will be playing Hades in the play
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Alexis Georgoulis

4. Xenia Doukas - The writer and director of the play who is also playing the lead role of Persephone
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Sarah Bolger

Phone Characters:

1. Frank and Joe Hardy - Nancy's friends and fellow detectives

2. Melina Rosi - The museum's curator

My favorite quotes:

"The museum is on the exterior of the bag. The interior of the bag is not the museum! Museum (points to the museum), NOT museum (points to his bag)! - Grigor

"I know it's self-serving to listen to him when he tells me I'm gorgeous and brilliant, but you know what? I can use the emotional junk food some days." - Xenia

"Hidden passageways are only exciting the first time you see them. Then they're just poorly advertised doors." - Grigor

My Thoughts: I like this game okay. It's not one of my absolute favorites nor one of my least favorites. I was always interested in Greek mythology as a child, so I liked all of the references/information about Greek myths in the game. The graphics in the game were gorgeous, especially the underworld sets. I really liked exploring them. The plot was decent. Characters were decent, too. I particularly liked Grigor - he was cute and funny and I had a tiny bit of a crush on him. 😉

I thought the activities in the game (puzzles, chores, snooping, talking to people) were pretty evenly spread out for the first 2/3 of the game, but the last 1/3 of the game felt like it was just puzzle after puzzle after puzzle. I didn't like that there were so many puzzles in a row at the end, but I did like the puzzles themselves in this game. Most of the puzzles were unique and challenging but not impossible. I particularly liked the pink/gold/red/brown seed puzzle. I also liked the extras in the game, like the matching game lottery and listening to the audio files of the rehearsals. I didn't care for the ending of the game.

In conclusion I enjoy the game. Not as much as a lot of the other Nancy Drew games, but I do like it.

My Random Thought: From what I heard on the audio files Xenia sounds like a pretty bad actress. Yes, Niobe is bad, but she has never acted before, is very nervous, and admits that she may have made a mistake when she decided to try acting, so it's understandable that she's bad. Xenia, however, has studied theater, wants to act as a profession, and is directing others' acting. She should be a much better actress than she is.

My Rating: 7/10

I like the Greek mythology in this game but other than that this is one of my LEAST favorite games. I've only played it once but I found myself getting stuck A LOT and needing a lot of help.
    ~Jackie

Peace. Love. Nancy Drew.
    ©NF

Games Played: games 1-31
    Game I'm currently playing: Trail of the Twister
    Favorite ND Game: DDI, ICE, ASH, SSH, and WAC
    Favorite ND Character: Jane Penvellyn, Brady Armstrong, Rachel Hubbard

Comment

From what I heard on the audio files Xenia sounds like a pretty bad actress.
      Too right!
      Stay Tuned for Danger- Lights, Camera,CURSES! - MIDNIGHT IN SALEM

find out what I think of these games, and 30 others,
      here.

Comment

Working...
      X