• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Layered Cake Review: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon

disneygirl12 Presents...
    The Last Train Leads to Fun!
    A Layered Cake Review
    Featuring in-depth thoughts in a spoiler free review.
    Hi everyone! I'm disneygirl12, and welcome to my Layered Cake review on Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon! Different from my standard Cake Reviews, I will categorize each concept of the game using a grading scale:

= Miserable!
    = Okay.
    = Good!
    = Great!
    = Excellent!

Let's begin the review. I hope you enjoy reading!

Plot:
    I felt the plot was pretty good! Nancy, along with the Hardy Boys, are invited by Lori Girard to join a train trip in order to solve the ancient mystery of the whereabouts of the train's original owner, Jake Hurley. It is a mystery based on history (hehe, that rhymed!), but many plot twists and a great storyline are thrown in to give a more pleasurable mystery.

Setting:
    The game mostly takes place on the train, and there are many places to explore on it! You do step off of the train at a few points in the game, and these stops do fit the feel of the game still.

Suspects:
    Let's take a moment to meet the suspects in the game.

The Hardy Boys: Yes, for the first time ever, Frank & Joe Hardy are in a Nancy Drew game! They aren't suspects in the game, but they are a helpful resource to Nancy and fun to talk to.
    Charleena Purcell: A romance novelist who specializes in history during the 1800s. Sound familiar? Well, she is a phone friend in Secret of Shadow Ranch, and now we can meet her!
    John Grey: I thought he was really cool. He basically studies ghostly phenomena, and he even has his own ghost-busting show.
    Tino Balducci: A well know, self-centered police detective. Yes, he does get annoying.
    Lori Girard: The young lady who invited you, the Hardy Boys, and all of the other celebrities on the train. She can be forgetful, and she was a bit annoying.

I liked the diversity of the characters very much.

Graphics + Music:
    The characters do have a cartoony image, but the backgrounds look very realistic, and there is one point in the game where HeR takes graphics and color and makes a beautiful scene.
    The music throughout the game was calm, but I really enjoyed the song playing during the "colorful moment" near the ending, and also the game that plays in the credits. :D

Puzzles:
    The puzzles in this game were pretty well managed. Many of them required thinking and analyzing (sp?) clues in order to complete them.

There were some minigames, and they were all pretty fun. One in particular was quite annoying, but otherwise, well managed and fun.

The Ending:
    The ending was great! The mystery wrapped up well, and the culprit - it all worked out. The ending scene was actually really fun!

Overall Ranking:
    The Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon is a very fun, enjoyable, and favorable game to the ND series. I would highly recommend you to add this game to your collection, if you haven't done so already! Well, that's the end of this review. I hope you enjoyed reading, and I'll see you next time! Feel free to comment; they're always welcome!

Read my last Layered Cake review, on Warnings at Waverly Academy.
    Read my next Layered Cake review, on Trail of the Twister.
    Read my simple review of this game.
    Last edited by disneygirl12; August 2, 2012, 07:09 AM. Reason: Changed the format. :D
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Great review! I totally agree-the characters were exellent! Probaby my favorite cast of characters. I thought the plot was good, too. Probably because I'm really super into history. ;D Reps and stars!

xoxo Erin
    " I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them.
    But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from,
    we can still choose where we go from there. "
    Erin
    GTH Review
    Sig Shop

Comment

Originally posted by chitachona View Post
      Great review! I totally agree-the characters were exellent! Probaby my favorite cast of characters. I thought the plot was good, too. Probably because I'm really super into history. ;D Reps and stars!

xoxo Erin
      This cast of characters just might be my favorite, as well! And history is awesome!

Thank you for the reply!
      .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
      ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
      ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
      ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Working...
      X