TRN Review - Good, nothing special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRN Review - Good, nothing special

Plot: The main plot of this game was intriguing if not a bit contrived. Towards the beginning it was kind of unclear what was going on, but later on (the second half of the game) it became a lot more exciting and captivating. Though the core of the plot was solid, I felt like the characters and their reasons for being there were pretty lame. In fact, I felt like at times, the characters actually detracted from the truly interesting parts of the game, and made you lose focus of the storyline. The culprit was pretty obvious from early on in the game, and the Hardy Boys were there, but they were essentially useless and really didn't do a single thing they couldn't have done over the phone. However, I never enjoy the inclusion of Nancy's real-life friends in the actual gameplay, so if you do, then you might like this game.
    Rating: 7/10

Puzzles: The puzzles were pretty good. There was enough of them, and they were adequately tricky. However, they did not flow well - that is, there were several times when you had finished one puzzle and weren't really sure what to do next, because there was still something else you needed to do before triggering the next clue. Therefore there ended up being a lot of down time where I wandered around trying to figure out what I had missed. But in general they were a highlight of this game.
    Rating: 8/10

Atmosphere: This is quite a unique setting, which was the biggest upside. However, for whatever reason, the atmosphere wasn't quite right for me - it never really drew me in or made me feel like I was "there" like some others. It was just okay. The music was fine but nothing special.
    Rating: 7/10

Gameplay: Again, just fine, but nothing special. It felt like every clue you got involved walking all the way to the other end of the train... for another clue, which you'd need to take back to the other end... for another clue, which- you get the point. Though given the setting I do think it was the best they could have done. And again, the puzzles did not flow very well.
    7/10

Ending: The best part of the game for me. Like I said, the plot's got pretty interesting towards the end, so that was a major highlight. It did have that Scooby-Doo-esque quality of an unnecessarily convoluted plan by the VillainTM, who could have reasonably been expected to say "and I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling [GIRL]!" at the end. As I mentioned the culprit was also fairly obvious. However, I enjoyed the final location a lot, and the way Nancy got herself out of the situation at the end was pretty fun.
    Rating: 8/10

Scary?
    Nope, not really. Nobody ever jumps out at you, though you do have to explore a crypt at some point, and there is a few ghostly happenings. Probably a 1.5 on the scare meter (out of 10).

Overall: 7.4/10
    Last edited by tali.lynn; November 29, 2016, 08:32 AM.
Working...
X