• Show
Clear All

• What I ~Really~ Thought: TRN edition

............................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:
    t
    Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
    Edition

WARNING: There are some slight spoilers in this review. If you want to be completely surprised when you play TRN, you might not want to read this.

I’ll be honest: I have no idea where this review is going. So I guess we’ll just get started and see where we end up. As a result of my own confusion, you may be able to tell that this review is a bit more relaxed than my usual style.

Plot

B-list socialite, Lori Girard, has assembled some of the country’s finest (or rather, famous) minds in sleuthing to take a mysterious train ride to a secret location. Nancy wasn’t invited but luckily her good friends, the Hardy boys, brought her along in their first chance to share an adventure. But as soon as the train wheels start rolling, it’s clear they’re in for more than they bargained. Almost instantly, the train goes through a tunnel of total darkness and Lori disappears. What could’ve happened to her? And why do the other passengers seem so calm about it? It’s your job, as Nancy Drew, to find out!

Ok so, the mystery you probably think you’ll be solving is over and done with five minutes into the game. Instead you’ll be exploring the creepy old train and discovering it’s secrets locked away in history. So, more or less, there isn’t a “whodunit” kind of case in this game.

Because it’s a tad confusing and deceptive, the plot gets 5/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics and Setting

I don’t know what to think about the graphics. It’s the awful character design from CUR (and STFD :P) combined with the blurriness of CLK. I’ll just never understand why the characters went so far downhill.

The train looks pretty cool though. It’s very colorful and old timey. But there was one car that just didn’t make any sense to me, since it seemed to be based on some type of steampunk technology. For me, it was just too 'out there'. On an unrelated note, it can be a pain to go from one end of the train to the other because you are essentially walking the same straight line over and over. You do make a stop in a small town but you travel by clicking on a map. I would’ve preferred it was done in the same way as Dry Creek in SHA.

combined: 3.5/10

Puzzles

I really enjoyed the puzzles in the game, every single one. Yes, even the ones that didn’t make sense. The thing is, that’s really all the game has going for it: puzzles. You don’t do any snooping or anything that’s truly “nancy-ish”

I give them 8/10

Characters

Again, the characters are there…and not much else. They are a little more interesting than the Titusville residents from the previous release but that’s not saying too much. Though I have to admit, I am a fan of a certain big shot cop and a taffy connoisseur. They’re quite humorous but even so, there isn’t much depth to their personalities.

But now that I’m reflecting, I can’t figure out what I’m trying to judge them on. Since there really isn’t a mystery, I can’t say that they weren’t suspicious or lacking in motive. They didn’t need a motive because there wasn’t a culprit because there isn’t a case. I suppose it’s just because they were all static stereotypes.

Now that I’ve thoroughly confused myself, I have no idea what number to give them. Maybe a 4.5/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

There wasn’t a mystery but there was an ending and a culprit. If you can really call them a culprit since they didn’t even do anything wrong until the last two minutes of the game. As for the ending itself, the sort of pre-part was pretty fun but didn’t make much sense. Then the very end was just ridiculous and I didn’t like the gameplay style. Oi, I don’t think I’m making much sense today.

I give it 3.5/10

Overall

It’s fun. What? With all of my complaining, did you think I would bash it? Well, it is silly, completely missing a plot, and lacking in the Nancy Drew essence but, the puzzles are kind of enjoyable.

Overall score: 3.5/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 4/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 4/10

"Should I buy this game?"

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. If you end up not enjoying this game, don't let that stop you from trying others in the series. There is a ton of variety.

Happy Gaming!
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; June 19, 2010, 11:30 AM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

Thanks!

Really nice reveiw! I agree with you on pretty much everything.
    ........So tell me
    .................¸·*¨¯¨*·¸...What is our
    ...¸·*¨¯¨*·¸....´·-·*.....)....e n d i n g............¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
    ...´·-·*.....´×.,¸_¸,.×´Will it be beautiful??..(.....*·-·´....¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
    .................¸.·´.........¸.·´¯)......¸.·´¯).........´×.,¸_¸,.×´.....*·-·´
    ................(............( ¸.·´.......( ¸.·´........¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
    .................´×.,¸_¸,.×´×.,¸_¸,.×´×.,¸_¸,.×´.....*·-·´

©ĸαммy

Comment

Wow!!!! Great review. Thank you for going into detail about everything and taking the time to write it. I will defintetly play this game now!!!

Comment

I disagree with a lot I really liked this game but still its your opinaon so its fine but great review still as usual
        =====Lily is 10 11 12 and 13 =======
        ya!!!!!! Luvs to you!!!!

every one needs some fun
        I love to sing and dance!!!

I have
        found the treasure in the royal tower
        found the scecret of the old clock
        riden the last train to blue moon canyon
        found danger in desige
        found the creature of kapu cave

now
        I am riding a haunted carousel

(\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")

Comment

Great review! Though I disagree with you on some pointers, reps anyway!

Felicity
          NEW YORK GIANTS are the NFC East ChAmPs! GO Eli and Team!!

Currently Solving: Alibi in Ashes

Don't you worry your pretty little mind
          people throw rocks at things that shine
          and life makes love look hard.

The stakes are high, the water's rough
          but this love is Ours. ~Taylor Swift ♥

©bluewidow

Comment

Great review! Even though I disagree with you on many things, I really like how you say what you really thought, not like some people who just go on about how amazing a game was.

Comment

Great review! Yes, walking in a straight line got old. But I liked the characters. And the ending's "ride" was pretty exciting!
              Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Wow, you must have just watched Pride and Prejudice! Lolz!!!! That review was heated, sassy, honest, and so fun to read! I hate reviews that just state facts. No! That's not the point! PUT YOURSELF INTO REVIEWING! Reps to you! Awesome awesome! I put strange phrases into my own reviews: "That creepy ghost hunter dude was awesome, I loved his superstitious *word I'm not supposed to type but it's not bad it's just something that everyone my age says!*!"

Surfer talk. I never say that kind of stuff but in TRN reviews, anything is possible.

WOOT! I loved that review for personality! Not content! You've got a strange point of view but I RESPECT IT!

WRITE MORE! I'M HYPER TODAY! javajavajavajavacoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee
                I've read the message in the haunted mansion.
                I've found the treasure in the royal tower.
                I've watched the final scene.
                I've discovered the secret of Shadow Ranch.
                I've opened the old clock.
                I've ridden the last train to Blue Moon Canyon.
                I've witnessed the danger of design.
                I've told the legend of the crystal skull.

I'm running from the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake.
                I'm cracking the curse of Blackmoor Manor.
                I'm searching for the white wolf of Icicle Creek.
                I'm chasing the phantom of Venice.
                I'm trapping the ghost of Castle Malloy.
                I'm preparing to attend Waverly Academy.

Comment

Working...
                X