X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRY Review, for People Who Like Scary Stuff

LEGEND OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
    From the perspective of someone who likes creepy stuff

Technical issues: I used Vista to play this game. It didn't have any problems, except it crashed whenever I saved it while in windowed mode. I don't know if that's a problem common to everyone who plays on Vista, but look out for it just in case.

Setting: A realistic representation of Louisiana weather, it's always raining in CRY. I like this, and the gardens and cemetery around the Bolet mansion are very pretty. Navigating around them is a little confusing but not too difficult. My only complaint about this is that sometimes the screen is so dark I don't know what I'm looking at.

Music: I wasn't particularly partial to the music, as it tended to get repetitive (or maybe I just spent way too long in the same place.) The music did seem to fit the scenery, so I liked that, especially the music at the Bolet mansion. It was fairly creepy, definitely giving a vibe that something was wrong there. Thumbs up on that.

Puzzles: If you like to look at things very logically, and best solve problems when given a set of clear-cut instructions (like me), seriously, don't plan on finishing the game without a walkthrough. The puzzles are very vague and take a lot of connecting one thing to another in your mind to finish. Yes, this game took me forever.

Characters: The characters are Renee, the housekeeper; Henry, the heir of the mansion; Gilbert, a doctor; and Lamont, the owner of a curio shop. Henry is what some of us may call "adorable" but also very goth-looking at the same time. All the characters are reasonably friendly and easy to talk to, and they feel like real people you might meet in New Orleans. None of them are especially leering or creepy.

Plot: I played this game a while ago, and to me it didn't seem like the plot took the main stage. The environment and the puzzles stood out more. I guess the plot is basically searching for the answers to "How did Bruno die, exactly?" and "Is the Crystal Skull real?"

Cheesiness: The game was never really cheesy, but it has the same sort of split as in SAW: a creepy, serious, main setting, and a fun, more relaxed alternate setting (the city.) The constant storm made it always a little dark, still, so it wasn't quite as bad as SAW's city.

Overall, how fun it was: I didn't have too much fun with this game. It was frustrating, a lot of the time, and not as fast-paced or full of scares as SAW or CUR. The game is still enjoyable, but you might have to be smarter or more patient than I am.

Overall, how scary it was: Depending on what scares you, I would say this game is scary for a Nancy Drew game, but not as scary as a few others.

Here's a quick rundown of the review:
    Technical issues: 3/5. It had a problem, making it firmly average.
    Setting: 5/5. The setting fits and gives a creepy vibe.
    Music: 4/5. Fits, but not all that scary.
    Puzzles: 2/5. Too difficult for my tastes.
    Characters: 4/5. Believable.
    Plot: 2/5. A little lacking.
    Cheesiness: 5/5. A distinct lack of cheese.
    Fun factor: 3/5. It depends on what you're in it for.
    Scare factor: 4/5. Maintains creepiness without constant fear.
    TOTAL SCORE: 32 out of 45. That would be 72%, or about there. This game is good, but not perfect.
    Follow the Banana to petition for games for us, uh, mature people.

Mature people are cool with dancing bananas, right?

Creepiness game reviews:
    Very scary: SAW, 94%, MHM, 88%, and CAP, 80%
    Sorta-scary: CRY, 72%, DDI, 72%, and CUR, 67%
    Not so scary: DOG, 60%, CAR, 58%, TRT, 57%, and ASH, 50%
    "Be okay with who you are."

Great review!! Thanks!
    Sassy-Detective
    Dares to Play

Comment

This is a really nice review!
      I wasn't particularly partial to the music, as it tended to get repetitive
      I noticed this too, and not only in CRY, but in a couple of the newer games. I was wondering if it was just me, but I suppose not. The music was still good though. Very Louisiana-y. It definitely had a good "mood" to it at least.
      The puzzles are very vague and take a lot of connecting one thing to another in your mind to finish
      This is a really good point! I hadn't thought about it this way, but thats the perfect way to describe it! The puzzles are pretty tricky, but I like tricky puzzles so it kinda worked out for me.
      TOTAL SCORE: 32 out of 45. That would be 72%, or about there. This game is good, but not perfect.
      I think you did a very good, honest rating of CRY. While CRY is one of my favorite games, I think it could have been a lot better.

Again, nice review!
      Thanks for taking the time to write it!
      Reps coming your way!
      --Michelle
      . . . . . .¸.-··-.¸. . . . . . . . .¸.-··-.¸
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ’·-» . ) ¸.-·-.¸ . . . .( . ×-·' ¸,.,¸ ¸.-··-.¸ . . . ¸.-··•--·*
      . . . . . . . . ¸.*. . ¸.-~-.(¯`·•-•·´ ( ×-··' ¸.-~-.¸`·•--•·´ . .)) ’·-» . `•-•·´
      `·•-•´. . . . .`·•--» . .`·•-•´ . .o-·' ¸.-··•--•·'´
      withxlovexx . . -:¦:-
      -:¦:×·-:¦:- . . `•.¸ . o-.¸ . . . . . . ¸.-·-.¸ . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      «-~-.¸ `·•-•·´ ¸.-··•--•·´ . ×-·'. . . . . . .
      © R o x a s `·•--•·´'·•-•·*. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Great review!

I have to agree with most of the things you said. I'll keep an eye out for that glitch, since my game is installed on Vista. This game was pretty enjoyable for me, just boring at times. Great review! 4 stars!

Comment

THIS WAS VERY HELPFUL! THANK YOU!
          Road work ahead..?
          ✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
          UH.
          YeAHh.
          I sure hope
          It does.
          ✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿

Thanks to Amber for the Sig format

Comment

I just finished playing this game and I love how you said it's hard to finish without a walkthrough. It is one of the toughest games; if not the toughest to get through. Then again, CUR takes the cake for that as well....
            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
            ▄██▄ ▄██▄
            .█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█. ▄██▄ ▄██▄
            ███████████ █ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ █ ███████████
            ▀███████▀
            . █▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█. ▀███████▀
            ▀███▀
            . . ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄. . ▀███▀
            . . . █▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█▄ ▀█. . .
            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
            ©Roxas

Comment

Working...
            X