• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disneygirl12
    replied
    Originally posted by sggoren View Post
    Nice review!

I just finished the game, and I have to agree with you on the character interaction. It felt like Henry and Renee just shut up about 1/4 of the way into the game. I'd go up to them anytime I felt lost, but they had nothing. So I kind of passed them by the rest of the game like they were furniture, completely forgetting they were even there.

As for the locations, there was a really cool one that lasted about 15 seconds. I wish there had been more done with that. :)
    That's so true! Henry and Renee opened up at first, but they just became really independent afterwards.

And I think I know that one location you're talking about...yes, it would have been nice to do more things there.

Originally posted by Songbird98 View Post
    Your review is indeed in-depth, and I appreciate it when people write in-depth reviews because it is helpful to someone who is looking to see what kind of a game they are thinking of playing. Great job.
    Thank you! I'm glad I helped.

Thanks to both of you for commenting!

Leave a comment:

• Songbird98
    replied
    Originally posted by sggoren View Post

I just finished the game, and I have to agree with you on the character interaction. It felt like Henry and Renee just shut up about 1/4 of the way into the game. I'd go up to them anytime I felt lost, but they had nothing. So I kind of passed them by the rest of the game like they were furniture, completely forgetting they were even there.
    I agree with you on this point. Henry and Renee did seem to just be characters about half way through the game. However, this game was one of my favorites. It has a creepy effect on people, and the beginning starts right off with a frightening scene. Your review is indeed in-depth, and I appreciate it when people write in-depth reviews because it is helpful to someone who is looking to see what kind of a game they are thinking of playing. Great job.

Leave a comment:

• sggoren
    replied
    Nice review!

As for the locations, there was a really cool one that lasted about 15 seconds. I wish there had been more done with that. :)

Leave a comment:

• disneygirl12
    started a topic A Legendary Game: An In-Depth Review

A Legendary Game: An In-Depth Review

disneygirl12 Proudly Presents...
    The Revised Edition of...
    A Legendary Game
    An In-Depth Review Spoiler Free!
    My Introduction
    Hi there! I'm disneygirl12and thank you for reading my review! I recently replayed Legend of the Crystal Skull, and I decided to give my thoughts about the game. This is a spoiler-free review, with the exception of one detail about the game that you may not want to know yet, so it has been blacked out to avoid potentionally spoiling it for someone. I will rank each concept of the game, and then use a star ranking system to give my opinion on each topic:

= Miserable!
    = Okay.
    = Good
    = Great!
    = Excellent!

Plot:
    Nancy's boyfriend, Ned, has a friend named Henry Bolet. Unfortunately, Henry's great uncle passed away, his only living relative. Feeling bad for him, Ned wants Nancy to go out to New Orleans to visit Henry, as she is also going on vacation there with Bess. When Nancy arrives, she soon discovers that there is more going on around the creepy old mansion of Bruno Bolet (Henry's great uncle) and learns that a crystal skull may be hiding somewhere nearby. Is someone after the unearthly artifact?
    The plot was okay. It was kind of all over the place, but it did make sense. Out of all of the treasure hunting type of mysteries in the series, this one may be one of my favorites.

Setting and Locations:
    A creepy old mansion in New Orleans during a thunderstorm. Not exactly what I was going for. If we are going to New Orleans, shouldn't it be bright and sunny? I would have likes having part of the game dark, and part of it sunny. That would have been really neat. Anyway, let's talk about the locations. The mansion is actually quite small. I would have liked to see more. The garden in the back, fortunately, was very large and fun to explore. There are also a few shops to visit in New Orleans Square.

Characters:
    There are 4 characters in all, and they are pretty different from eachother, but they're not...well, let's just say they're not my favorites.

Henry Bolet: Ned's friend who Nancy is coming to visit. This emo character () didn't even feel close or important to his great uncle, and wishes he had gotten to know Bruno a bit more. Is he just saying that to divert attention from himself?
    Renee Amande: She was Bruno Bolet's housekeeper. She enjoys gardening out back and as a sidenote, she is involved in Voodoo. Renee pretty much despises Henry, but the question is, why is she still here, if that is the case?
    Lamont Warrick: The proud owner of a little curio stand, he is always up to finding more and more items to put up in his store. Is Lamont willing to do anything to find the legendary crystal skull?
    Dr. Gilbert Buford: The best friend of Bruno Bolet, although Bruno wasn't necessarily his best friend. He is retired now, but was the doctor of Bruno when he had his fatal heart attack. Did Bruno let him in on the crystal skull legend, and is he trying to get his hands on it?

Well, there you go! Many diverse characters. I would have liked to interact with them some more, and if they had broader personalities, but that's just me.

Graphics:
    The graphics were pretty good. The characters were lively, the scenery looked grimacingly real, and the effects with the thunderstorm were well done. There's no negative comments about the graphics!

Puzzles, Games & Tasks:
    Sorry to put another "3 stars" out there, but that's my honest opinion. There were many puzzles in this mystery, but some of them required a lot of thinking and others were a tad bit confusing. There weren't many minigames, which would have been a nice addition, but there were a couple of tasks. These tasks weren't difficult and were semi-relevant to the plot.

Scare, Spook, & Creep:
    Eep, this game was really creepy! Just from the cover, you can tell that HeR inteded to make this one a bit spookier than the others. With a couple of pop-out moments and the spooky atmosphere, you can't help but feel that there is somebody watching you. Here, I've conducted a Scare-Meter to represent this quantity.

The whole idea of the game just makes you want to tingle. Not scary, but just creepy.

The Ending:
    The culprit was, I guess, kind of expected. I hated the ending puzzle, and catching the culprit was very easy and predictable. The story did wrap up nicely, but I'm kind of surprised as to what happens to the skull. Wow!

Extra Features! In this game, you can also play as Bess. When you call her, you can actually become her and proceed with a different part of the mystery.

Overall Ranking:
    Sadly, this review has come to an end. Let's sum up! This game was enjoyable, but it's not that it lacked in some parts -- it's that it could have done a little bit better. I would recommend you get this game if you're a scare-loving puzzle prowess! Well, I guess this is the end! Sad, isn't it? That's okay, because I'll see you next time! Once again, thanks so much for reading! Feel free to comment; they're always welcome!

Read my last in-depth review, on Alibi in Ashes.
    Read my next in-depth review, on Warnings at Waverly Academy.
    Last edited by disneygirl12; August 1, 2012, 08:44 AM. Reason: Added the star ranking system + graphics. :D
Working...
X