Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRY Review

Legend of the Crystal Skull: released in October 2007

Based on the Book: The Mardi Gras Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #81, published in 1988)

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Not very closely. They both take place in New Orleans, but that's pretty much the only similarity.

The Mystery/Crime: Who is the Skeleton Man? Did he/she cause the death of Dr. Bolet?

Mode Of Transportation: N/A (Nancy and Bess walk everywhere)

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: The crystal skulls legend, teeth, Jean Lafitte

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy and Bess travel to New Orleans for vacation. Nancy checks up on a friend of Ned's as a favor to Ned. While there, she is knocked out by someone in a skeleton costume. She stays at the house to find out who was in the skeleton costume and why he/she attacked her.

Brief Character Synopsis:

Gilbert Buford - The deceased Bruno Bolet's doctor
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Danny Glover

Henry Bolet - A classmate of Ned's; Bruno Bolet's great-nephew and heir
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: David Henrie

Lamont Warrick - owner of Zeke's Curio Shop
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Martin Bats Bradford

Renee Amande- Bruno's housekeeper and gardener
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Diane Ladd

Phone Characters:

Chas Milo - authenticator who investigates whether or not the skull is real

Beatrice Hotchkiss - history professor and expert on the crystal skulls legend

Bess Marvin - Nancy's friend (you also play as Bess in parts of this game)

Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend

Other characters:

Bruno's pets (Bernie the alligator, Iggy the iguana, the spider)

Gumbo stand worker

My favorite quote:

"The guy I bought this place from wouldn't sell it to me unless I swore I wouldn't change the name. So I didn't. Funny thing was, his name wasn't Zeke either" - Lamont Warrick, when Bess asks him why his shop is called Zeke's

My Thoughts
    : I enjoy this game quite a bit. It's not one of my absolute favorites, but I like it. The main thing I didn't like about it was that it had too many puzzles for me and a few of them were quite difficult. Other than that I enjoyed it. I liked the plot and the characters. Hotchkiss and Lamont were funny. Henry was portrayed well (goth but not over-the-top). I liked playing as Bess for a bit. I liked the setting and the environment - the way it was animated as dark and rainy and dreary was refreshingly different. I particularly liked the cemetery scavenger hunt and finding the painted conk mushrooms. I also thought the model cemetery was really cool. Overall, I think this is a pretty fun game.

My random comment: I was very disappointed that I dressed the iguana up in all the costumes and didn't get anything. I was hoping for an Easter egg or at least a trophy/award at the end for doing it.

My Rating: 7.5/10
Working...
X