Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MHM Review

MESSAGE IN A HAUNTED MANSION - released in 2000

Based on the book: The Message in the Haunted Mansion, Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #122, published in 1994
    How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Pretty Closely

The Mystery/Crime: Is it accidents or is it vandalism?

Mode Of Transportation: N/A (Nancy stays inside the mansion)

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: Yes

What is Learned About in This Game?: Chinese hanzi writing, playing piano, running a Bed & Breakfast, home renovations

Brief Plot Synopsis: Hannah's friend Rose has bought a mansion that she plans to turn into a Bed & Breakfast. Nancy goes to San Francisco to help with the renovations, but learns that many accidents have been happening. She investigates why there have been so many accidents in the spooky mansion.

Brief Character Synopsis:

Abby Sideris - Rose's business partner; into spiritual things such as seances and tarot cards
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Anne Hathaway

Charlie Murphy - the handyman hired to fix up the mansion
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Chris Lowell

Louis Chandler - Victorian era expert and antiques shop owner who is trading consulting work for access to the mansion's library
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Cary Elwes

Rose Green - Hannah's friend who bought the mansion to turn it into a B&B
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: S. Epatha Merkerson

Phone Characters:

Bess Marvin - Nancy's friend

Emily Foxworth - A photojournalist who helps Nancy with the case

George Fayne - Nancy's friend

Hannah Gruen - Nancy's housekeeper

My favorite quote:
    "I love gumbo! What kind of gumbo is Gumbo Fu?" - Abby Sideris

My Thoughts: This was a great game. One of the best things about it is the replay value. It probably has the best replay value of all the Nancy Drew games, as the spooky things are different each time and the conversations are different depending on which questions you choose. I also like that some items can be used more than once. There was a lot of exploring in this game and the puzzles and progression were logical. The "historical fiction" stories about Lizzie Applegate and Diego Valdez were fun and interesting. My favorite thing about this game is that while Nancy is very firm in her own beliefs (ie not believing in ghosts), she is still respectful to those with differing beliefs, such as Abby. I feel that this went away in some of the later games.

My Random Comments: I love this game, but there are a couple things that were odd in the game. The first was the phone character Emily Foxworth. Nancy talks about her and talks to her like we're supposed to know who she is, but I had no idea how Nancy met her or how she fit into Nancy's life. The book explains that she is someone who helped Nancy with a previous case, but I never would have known that if I hadn't read the book. I also found it odd that Nancy can snoop through the dining room while Rose is still right there. And for some reason it really bothered me when Nancy said, "Mornin' Nancy!" Who says good morning to themselves? Haha.

My Rating: 9/10
Working...
X