• What I Really Thought: MHM *Spoiler Free*

.....................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:
    ?..............
    Message in a
    Haunted...Mansion

Edition

Plot

You as Nancy Drew are off to assist some friends-of-friends in renovating an old mansion. But with strange unexplainable accidents slowing everyone down, Rose (the owner of the building) is beginning to loose hope in ever achieving her dream. When Nancy decides to investigate, it's clear that someone or something is trying to scare her off. Is the legend true? Is there really treasure hidden in the house? and is it really being guarded by a long dead outlaw? Follow the clues to find out.

Spooky. Very spooky. Overall, the plot of the game seemed a bit shallow but it moves along at a nice pace.

I give it 5/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics

The graphics in this game are a big step up from STFD. The characters look more realistic, though still very awkward and stiff. The main problem for me was that, even if a character was talking about something serious, they'd appear to be smiling. But keeping in mind that this game is quite a few years old, it's understandable. The backgrounds have been improved as well. They look much less cut and paste then the previous two games.

Since the game is older, I give it 6.5/10

Puzzles

The puzzles in this game can either be very easy or very hard, depending on your gaming style. If you're the type to write down everything that looks somewhat important, you'll do fine. But are the puzzles fun? Eh, none of them are particularly original or interesting.

I give them 4/10

Characters

The characters in MHM are very bland. I mean very very very bland. They each have their reason for being at the mansion but beyond that it seems as if there wasn't much thought put into them.

I give it 2/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

I've heard some people say that they were shocked to learn the culprit, but I can't really say that I was. Unlike STFD, there isn't much of a threat if you don't do what you need to do in time. Despite this, it still requires quick thinking. A pretty good ending.

I give it 7/10

Overall

If you scare easily or things such as hauntings and seances are against your beliefs, skip this game (I've heard some complaints on this). Really, this is one of the scariest games that HER has released. It may be an earlier game but it's up there with CUR and CRY. The main difference with this game and the ones that come before it are the amount of thought put into the plot. SCK and STFD focus on the whodunnit while MHM is more about puzzles. For you that might be good. For me, not so much.

Overall score: 5/10
    Creepiness level (ten equals terrifying): 7/10
    Difficulty level (ten equals hair pulling): 5/10

"Should I Buy This Game?"

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. For MHM, I wouldn't necessarily suggest that it's your first because it's not a good representation of the series. What I mean is, if you didn't like this game don't let that stop you from trying out the others (TRT, GDML, DDI, and SHA are great for both first time sleuths and more seasoned detectives) And keep in mind that just because I don't care for MHM, doesn't mean you won't :)

Happy Gaming!
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; November 11, 2009, 05:03 PM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

Thanks for the review. I think I am going to try it. But, I'm keeping all of what you said in my mind. Reps for ya!
    ~Rihanna~
    ¸+´¨¯¨`׸............« - - × - - - - .....
    (.......*·-·´..........................................
    `×.,¸_¸,.×´¨¯¨`×....................¸+´¨¯¨`׸
    ........................`·¸×´¨¯¨`×......`·-·*.......)
    ¸+´¨¯¨`׸................)..........`+.,¸__¸,.×´...
    `·-·*.......`×.,¸¸_¸,.×´............................

Comment

Awesome review! thanks very much!
      .................... ........ ¸.·*¨¯¯¨*·,
      ........ ...........*¨¯¯¨*·.¸ ....¹·-·´
      ....¸.·´²¨¯¯¨²`·...`·-·*... ...) )
      ...(... ... . .... `·.,¸__¸,.·´
      ... `·.¸.+´¹¨¯¯¨¹`·, So, did you stab Edward Cullen
      ..¸.·´.. ``+.,¸_¸,.·¹ with a pencil or what?
      ( (....... ..........¸×´¨¯¯¨`·, ...,· ´¨¯¯¨`·.¸-Mike, Twilight
      ...`+.,¸___¸,.+´....... *·-·´ ...`·-·².. ... ) )
      ................. ..............`+.,¸___¸,.+´ ©cs124+Yello_iz_br3nna

Comment

I totally agree with you! But I found the game rather very annoying with all the fake ghost sightings and sounds every 5 seconds! It didn't scare me much at all. but your review matched mostly what I feel about this game! good job!
        { find your freedom in the music }
        artwork : mr. brightside :) writing a cap ae.

coming back this summer!

Comment

in the words of Colin Baxter,

Incredible. Just incredible!

Wow!

Comment

Wow, nice review! i agree with everything! I gave you reps.
            Come read my new VEN AE! Beautiful Darkness

Come play Survivor: Nancy Drew Edition

Comment

I agree with you all the way!! Gave you reps!!
              can you dig it?
              ...............................................<3 volleyball

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked it
                aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
                SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
                TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
                LCC RED

Comment

Good review! I liked this game but I have too agree about the characters. Abby was the only character that I thought was interesting.
                  ~ Miss Flamiel: Wakko, what is the meaning of the word "Procrastination"? ~
                  ~ Wakko: I'll tell you tomorrow. ~

©BM123/Animaniacs/Warner Bros.

NANCY DREW IS VERY COOL!
                  i'm ndroxsox7. and i approved this message.

Comment

Whoo-hoo! Your link works now! Thanks for the heads up about the hauntings and seances. Doesn't sound like the game for me. And puzzles aren't my fave either.
                    Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

This was actually my first mystery and at 10 years old I found it really creepy (several years ago), mostly due to the sound effects. I almost gave up on the ND games, but it's soooo worth it not to!
                      Great review! I know it helped a friend of mine!

Comment

Working...
                      X