Physical or Download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical or Download?

So, on the AS blog, someone asked LJ if there were going to be physical copies of MID and she said it was in the works but very limited...

I'm just wondering what you all thinking of getting: Physical or Download?

I have had some downloads and two bonus edition physical copies of the games in the past and now, I'm not sure what I feel like at the moment but when I get the sneak peeks of the game, I would probably get a download, although I do like physical copies...
    Images are not allowed on the boards.~
    MD12

I'm going to get the physical copy of the game provided they don't run out before I can order it.

Comment

My personal preference is the physical copies although I do see HeR's point in not making them. I'm sure it costs extra to make and since you can install the disk once and never need to touch it again its almost pointless. But I like to have all the copies of the games for my collection.

Also, I had a digital copy of SEA and didn't realize that the download expires after a certain amount of time. When I got a new computer I had to buy the game again. So I'm not that thrilled if that is really going to be the only option moving forward.
      Last edited by bumblebeex3; August 7th, 2019, 07:08 PM.
      What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?

Comment

I'd prefer the physical copy as well. I'd be ok with it though if the game is download-only. Most games that I've played in recent years have been download-only, so I'm used to it. Still, it'd be a little sad to see the physical ND game collection end. Good times. :')
        .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
        ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
        ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
        ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

That was good that someone asked about it on the AS blog. Now we are aware of the limitations for physical copies.

Like bbx3 mentioned, I like having the physical copy to include in my game collection. Since the download expires, I feel as though you may be "cheated" if you no longer have the digital downloaded file and need to purchase the game again. I did get the digital download for 1 or 2 games and didn't like it, ended up purchasing the physical game anyway. I will stick with the physical game and pre-order it.

Julesy
          My favorite character quotes
          "Well, whoop-de-doo, it's Nancy Drew!" Silvio from Keep it Real (SSH)
          "Karl has been put on this planet to test my patience." ~Anja Mittelmeier (CAP)
          "What does turtle mean?" ~Sonny Joon (MED)
          "Have a celestial day!" ~Abby Sideris (MHM)
          "Pay no attention to the bird behind the curtain." ~LouLou (CUR)

"What's the big deal? It's not like it's Mark Twain or anything." ~Joe Hardy (TRN)
          "You're a vampire! Seriously though, that's pretty messed up." ~Rentaro Aihara (SAW)
          "Don't tell me! Don't tell me! Okay tell me." ~Dr. Quigley Kim (CRE)
          "Did you get the INVERTEBRATES?" ~Clara Thornton (GTH)
          "Semper ubi sub ubi." ~Joanna Riggs (SSH)
          "The museum is on the exterior of the bag.The interior of the bag is not the museum." ~Grigor Karakinos (LIE)

The Rules .New member FAQ

Comment

I don't download if I can help it. I have a few games that are download, but I thankfully haven't had any problems of having to repurchase the game. Still I prefer a disk. Although I only haven't had problems with my download because it's the type where you buy it and if you need to put it back onto your computer you just go to the games you've bought and put it back on your computer. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name of the place, although it is a well known name)

Makes me wonder though, if there are only a limited number of disks, for the people who want to wait to purchase the game a bit to see how it is and they possibly prefer a disk, will they be able to get one if they wait too long?
            I personally wanted to wait a bit to buy MID and see how people liked it and how the possible motion sickness was going to be, but if I wait too long a disk might not be possible from the sound of things which is kinda disappointing. Although I do understand why it would be easier to not have a disk.
            ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
            (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
            .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
            ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
            ..( ..)
            c('')('')

Comment

My entire collection is the physical copies. Not only do I want go get the physical copy to keep my collection complete, but I play my ND games on an old computer that I only use for the games and it isn't connected to the Internet.
              ¸.•*¨¯¨*ّ¸......catsandbooks
              ((
              ..*•.¸_¸.•*¨¯¨*•.¸.......... A library is not a luxury
              ......¸.•*.....*•.¸_¸))............... but one of the necessities of life!
              ......*•.¸_¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.¸¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.¸... .¸.ّ*¨¯¨*•.
              .................................H.W. Beecher + ©allas؛•.¸_¸.•؛
              Please follow the rules................................................... ...............Isaiah 40:31
              FAQ and New Member Resources
              [/FONT] Please be sure your signatures follow the Siggie Ruler. ◄ Click here to double check.

Comment

Physical (I don't care for downloads)

Edited to add: I also use an older computer for Nancy Drew.
                Last edited by spyboots; August 8th, 2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I will probably get a download version, with the strategy guide.
                  "All good things come to those who wait". - Violet Fane

Comment

Physical copy, definitely. I wouldn't mind going the download route if we were guaranteed the ability to re-download whenever we want without limitation, like GOG games. But I don't want to pay full price for a game and then be limited in the number of times I can download it or in the amount of time I have in which to download it. If I pay for the game, it should be mine. I want access to it anytime I want, as much as I want.

Comment

download, i live in a small apt in an expensive city and don't need any extra clutter. I just back up the installer on an external HD.

Comment

Physical definitely. Even if HER switches to downloads only (which I hope they won't), I'll order the backup disc that someone mentioned was a work around on another thread. I could understand if they decide to only offer physical copies for those that preorder in the future to cut down on costs of buying physical games in bulk only to have them not sell.
                        Case Closed!:
                        SCK2, STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, SSH, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CLK, TRN, DAN, CRE, ICE, CRY, VEN, HAU, RAN, WAC, TOT, SAW, CAP, ASH, TMB, DED, GTH, SPY, MED, LIE, SEA.

Currently anticipating: ND #33: Midnight in Salem!

Comment

I'll be going with the physical copy. My ND games collection is a wreck (new vs. used copies, multiple different box/case sizes) but it is still complete.

Comment

Wonder what they mean by limited? Pre-order only? Or a wait-list batch? I highly doubt it'll be in-stores to buy, like at Target or something, the usual place I went to buy games. Software aisles are a ghost of the past, nowadays, except in tax season. (Gah, aging!)

To answer-- Physical CD/DVD-ROM. I'm stubborn and set in my ways on this. I understand why download is becoming the standard-- but I like the actual disc and having the cover art in my hands to hold and collect. Also, no matter what-- except if you lose/damage the disc, you can install and play the game again, in perpetuity (provided said computer still has an compatible OS and disc-drive)-- which is probably another reason why things have changed to download/subscription only...

Last edited by DolphinStarr; August 14th, 2019, 05:41 PM.

The important thing, she decided, was to stay calm.
                            There was always a logical explanation for everything,
                            even if you had to make it up.

´¨`¤.¸¸.

Comment

I will only buy physical copies from Her. I have bought the majority of the download games with the extended warranty and I had to get a new laptop and I am not allowed access to any of the 30 games I bought.
                              ...................................•*¨¯¨*•.•*¨¯¨*•..........
                              ...................`•.,¸_¸,.•´.....*•-•´`•-•*.....´•.,,_¸,.•`
                              .•*¨¯¨*•................................................... ...........•*¨¯¨*•.
                              (.....*•-•´.¸.•*¨¯¨*•.¸.....GoNancyDrew AKA LJ.....¸.•*¨¯¨*•.`•-•*......)
                              `•.,¸_¸,.•´................) ........................(...............´•.,,_¸,.•`
                              ..................•.,¸_¸,.•´...........................`•.,¸_¸,.•
                              ..................................•*¨¯¨*•.•*¨¯¨*•.
                              .................................(....*•-•´`•-•*......)..........
                              ............................´•.,,_¸,.•`´•.,,_¸,.`
                              ............................................©ac

Comment

Working...
                              X