MID "Main Theme" Reveal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MID "Main Theme" Reveal

So, HeR just dropped the "Main Theme" for MID on YouTube, and it got me HYPED! What do you all think about it? I'll edit this later with more coherent thoughts, but I'm so excited right now!!!

Edit: I'm still insanely excited right now, but I think I can actually do something other than keysmash.

HeR hasn't posted the video on any other social media platforms so far (at the time I was typing this out, but now I see they have shared it on Facebook at least). I only happened to see it because I was listening to Brahms on YouTube and got a notification. (I'm not even subscribed to the channel.) Anyway, can I just say that I absolutely LOVE this theme? I mean, it's once in a blue moon that I don't love the game soundtracks, but I really wasn't sure what to think about anything relating to this game anymore. No idea if the theme is composed by Thomas Regin, Kevin Manthei, or someone new, but it's incredible.

This is a quick analysis, but I just have to talk about it. I love how soft and staccato it starts--reminiscent of Fiona's Theme in HAU--with that tinkling xylophone. It's so beautifully creepy and gentle, and then it builds into a much grander, sweeping waltz with the flute(s), harp(?), and the strings and bass (and maybe low brass). As if it couldn't get any more exciting, it crescendos with crashing cymbals, syncopated percussion (not sure if they are just beating drumsticks together or using something like claves), and timpani, but then pares it back down to the xylophone with sustained strings and the harp. So lovely, so haunting, so exciting! Oh man, I'm in love.

For once, I actually feel like this game might actually be coming out soon.
    Last edited by yukixiaomeimei; October 11th, 2019, 03:09 PM.

I just watched it! I LOVE that theme. It's got a cool combination of the creep factor from GTH and SAW, but it kinda brings out a bit of WAC.

EDIT: I've been warry of MID for a long time now, with all the conflicting screenshots, character changes, and trailers, but this really does help ease my doubts.
    Last edited by Skyrosleuth136; October 11th, 2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I'm so glad you liked it too! Yes, I was totally getting WAC and GTH vibes as well! I know it reminded me of some of the themes in Hocus Pocus, but there's something about it that feels so nostalgic for the previous soundtracks. I can't place it yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Edit: I, too, have been extremely reluctant to get excited about MID after so many disappointments. I still don't want to get my hopes up, but this is definitely the most exciting reveal they've given us so far. Not to say that they couldn't change music, but it's far less likely and makes me think the game actually has to be pretty far along in development.
      Last edited by yukixiaomeimei; October 11th, 2019, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Totally! It's like they grabbed elements from the previous soundtracks and added a little Salem twist. Funny thing is I'm listening to ND soundtracks right now and I can totally see the similarities.

It's kind of like HER saw how much the differences in MID compared to all the other games was creating so much uneasiness among all of us and added the nostalgia to help that.

Comment

Absolutely! I've been listening to them almost every day for the last few weeks, so my brain was primed to notice some similarities. I wish I could pinpoint a specific motif, melody, or something that's pricking my nostalgia senses, but you're absolutely right that whoever composed this soundtrack either drew inspiration from the previous works by Kevin and Thomas or it's actually one of them who composed it. Even though we've lost Lani and a whole lot of other things between SEA and now, it would be a great move by HeR to give us an old friend through the music.

Edit: We have a name! The new composer's name is Ryan Ricks. Not sure if this is the same Ryan Ricks that's in the Little River Band. Either way, I'm excited to see what Ryan Ricks has to offer us.
          Last edited by yukixiaomeimei; October 11th, 2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I love the music but it makes me worried that they are showing music and not an actual trailer with character interaction or anything. Seems we are being shown pieces of the game but not any evidence that they have been fully put together. I suppose for SEA we got a song as marketing/preview but I'm more anxious for some evidence that the game is actually in the final stages (given it's only a month and a half till the game is supposed to be out, and only a weekend away till preorders).
            Case Closed!:
            SCK2, STFD, MHM, TRT, FIN, SSH, DOG, CAR, DDI, SHA, CUR, CLK, TRN, DAN, CRE, ICE, CRY, VEN, HAU, RAN, WAC, TOT, SAW, CAP, ASH, TMB, DED, GTH, SPY, MED, LIE, SEA.

Currently anticipating: ND #33: Midnight in Salem!

Comment

That main theme is really lovely.

I wasn't sure with the first few bars, but once the strings came in I liked it. And I'm really glad that in the video, they included that bit near the end when we see the burned-out house, because it shows off nicely just how well the music sets the atmosphere of the story.

I am SOOOO happy they've released this! The still shots they gave us earlier are fine and all, but the game feels more real now that we've also got the music.

Comment

I loved it!
                Doesn't makes me any less concerned for MID, but I do really like the main theme!
                ..•¨¯¨•............................(¯¨•-»
                (...«-•´.;;;.¸•¨¯¨•¸.......;;;....).......__
                .`•…‗…•ˊ...;;....`•…‗…•ˊ`∙-∙•´...;;.)
                ...............................;.....;;......«-•´٠Signature Stoꭆy٠

..(\/)
                ..( ..)
                c('')('')

Comment

Oh, I fully agree with all of you. Right now, I don't have a lot of faith that the game isn't going to be delayed again, but the amount and variety of information we're getting in quick succession, at least compared to the previous reveals, makes me marginally more hopeful than I have been in the past. Only marginally though. I think the music has been the most exciting reveal for me because it means the composer had to have something to go on. Not sure exactly when that part of game development occurs for HeR, but I'd imagine they wouldn't bring in a composer until there's a whole lot more than storyboards and concept art.

You are absolutely right that the lack of character interactions or anything close to "final renderings" is a cause for concern, especially so close to the pre-order and release dates. Still, I can't help but think that another delay would finally destroy whatever remnants of the fan base still exist. It would be a disastrous approach to stir up all this excitement and hope twice only to tell us that the game isn't coming out yet. I'm trying to believe that HeR wouldn't use this tactic to give us updates instead of being forthcoming about their (lack of) progress with the game. Anyway, I guess I'm only happy right now because I actually believe the game exists in some substantive form, which is more than I could have said a year ago.

Comment

The music was beautiful, peaceful and spooky. I'm looking forward to seeing this and other music in the game.
                    "All good things come to those who wait". - Violet Fane

Comment

Originally posted by secretsleuth89 View Post
                      The music was beautiful, peaceful and spooky. I'm looking forward to seeing this and other music in the game.
                      Agreed! I'm hoping for another soundtrack reveal, though it's probably unlikely. If Mei has a theme, I would love to hear that next!

Comment

I absolutely loved the music for the new game. I just made me that more excited to play. I cannot wait to purchase the game, no matter when it comes out.
                        ...................................•*¨¯¨*•.•*¨¯¨*•..........
                        ...................`•.,¸_¸,.•´.....*•-•´`•-•*.....´•.,,_¸,.•`
                        .•*¨¯¨*•................................................... ...........•*¨¯¨*•.
                        (.....*•-•´.¸.•*¨¯¨*•.¸.....GoNancyDrew AKA LJ.....¸.•*¨¯¨*•.`•-•*......)
                        `•.,¸_¸,.•´................) ........................(...............´•.,,_¸,.•`
                        ..................•.,¸_¸,.•´...........................`•.,¸_¸,.•
                        ..................................•*¨¯¨*•.•*¨¯¨*•.
                        .................................(....*•-•´`•-•*......)..........
                        ............................´•.,,_¸,.•`´•.,,_¸,.`
                        ............................................©ac

Comment

I do hope they still will have the original "opening" Nancy theme.

Comment

Originally posted by spyboots View Post
                            I do hope they still will have the original "opening" Nancy theme.
                            Me too! I would be heartbroken if we lost the original opening theme! If they decide to change it, I hope it will be another revamp, like how it changed in all the games after VEN. Personally, I love the original theme way more, but I'm glad it has stuck around in some form since the beginning. I really hope that doesn't change with this game. We need something to hang onto from the original games.

Comment

Here' s what I want: ND Overture. It might be a medley. Or, just plain odd. :D

This opens with the theme music from the first few games and continues with an amalgam of bits of freshly arranged music from various games You might hear Mel's cello underscoring the staccato from CRE. (Perhaps you want other combos. There are a lot of games and a lot of musical phrases to re-key and put into play groups.) As long as they are in the same key, the rhythm, etc. can be worked into a bridge. Now, we get to the opening theme from recent games.

At this point, everyone should recognize a few bars of something and be... happy? ? Ready for the new game?

Or not.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X