I'm going to have to buy a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to have to buy a new computer

To play this game. It truly needs a gaming computer to play or somebody that can build a computer, and that isn't me. I'm super cheap but can anyone point me in the direction of a computer that meets the system requirements and is cost effective?
    So there still is hope.
    Yes, I can be healed.
    There is someone looking for what I've concealed
    in my secret drawer, in my pockets deep,
    you will find the reasons that I can't sleep and will you still want me?

Originally posted by TheTruNancyDrew View Post
    To play this game. It truly needs a gaming computer to play or somebody that can build a computer, and that isn't me. I'm super cheap but can anyone point me in the direction of a computer that meets the system requirements and is cost effective?
    Yea, this is what I am afraid of too. I use a 'gaming computer' for work (nothing gaming related), but I think if I asked to use it for a ND game, the answer would be no .
    "One True Friend to all who are frightened or lost,
    Whether great or small never factor the cost,
    Catch the tears that fall and melt the frost,
    Leave no bridge uncrossed...….

One True Friend who'll stay, though all others may run,
    keep the wolves at bay till the battle is won,
    Fill the darkest day with blessed sun,
    If you need someone.
    ...He will be One True Friend"

Merry Christmas to all, and never forget the reason for the season!

Comment

Originally posted by Juliana+Walter View Post
      Yea, this is what I am afraid of too. I use a 'gaming computer' for work (nothing gaming related), but I think if I asked to use it for a ND game, the answer would be no .
      Haha I honestly already have 3 computers solely for nancy, I wish the games came out identical to pc versions in ps and xbox or tablets... but a girl can dream.
      So there still is hope.
      Yes, I can be healed.

Comment

Are you guys talking about the system requirements and storage? I have a new laptop that is Windows 10, still a lot of storage space...that should be sufficient, right?

Comment

Is there something in the system requirements that equates to a gaming computer? 👩🏻*💻 I’m not up on the differences between that and a regular computer...
          How much better to get
          ……wisdom than gold,¸•*¨¯¨*•¸
          …………………….¸•*¨¯¨*•¸..*•-»....)}
          ……………………{(.....«·¸.`•.,¸_¸,.•´to get insight
          Proverbs 16:16……. `•.,¸¸,.´'
          rather than silver!

My 2016 reviews:
          |TMB|

Comment

I'm not sure either; I looked at my computer specs by going to My Computer and Properties to check speed, RAM, disc space as listed in the requirements on the order page for Midnight in Salem. Not sure so far how to check video card and Direct X. I hope this game works on my Windows 7 computer as the others have.

I hope you are able to play it as well.

Comment

I was concerned about this as soon as they announced the switch to Unity. Here are my computer's stats:

Date of Manufacture/Purchase: 2013
              Processor: Intel i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90 GHz
              RAM: 4GB (3.88 usable)
              DirectX: 11
              Harddrive: 67.4 GB remaining

All that said, I think the game will run on my computer, but it might not run well and likely won't run at 60 FPS. The size is bulky compared to past games, but it's tiny compared to a lot of games out there now and small compared to many games on my computer. I think most people are going to have trouble with CPU performance and, obviously, RAM. How this will translate into VRAM, I have no idea; I'm not that much of a tech gal. It's really going to depend a lot on the programmers. The fact that they are giving away a Dell Alienware computer is telling enough.

I'm going to have to buy a new computer
              Feel free to check your stats and compare them to the requirements listed on the page. (Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and check Properties under This PC/My Computer.) Unfortunately, "gaming computers" are not going to be cost effective because they are all about performance. This game isn't even close to being as demanding as AAA games from a few years ago, so it would be a shame for you to feel the need to shell out on a new $1,000 computer for a Nancy Drew game.

Comment

Originally posted by yukixiaomeimei View Post
                I was concerned about this as soon as they announced the switch to Unity. Here are my computer's stats:

Date of Manufacture/Purchase: 2013
                Processor: Intel i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90 GHz
                RAM: 4GB (3.88 usable)
                DirectX: 11
                Harddrive: 67.4 GB remaining

All that said, I think the game will run on my computer, but it might not run well and likely won't run at 60 FPS. The size is bulky compared to past games, but it's tiny compared to a lot of games out there now and small compared to many games on my computer. I think most people are going to have trouble with CPU performance and, obviously, RAM. How this will translate into VRAM, I have no idea; I'm not that much of a tech gal. It's really going to depend a lot on the programmers. The fact that they are giving away a Dell Alienware computer is telling enough.

Feel free to check your stats and compare them to the requirements listed on the page. (Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and check Properties under This PC/My Computer.) Unfortunately, "gaming computers" are not going to be cost effective because they are all about performance. This game isn't even close to being as demanding as AAA games from a few years ago, so it would be a shame for you to feel the need to shell out on a new $1,000 computer for a Nancy Drew game.
                I've checked my netbook the processor isn't up to speed. I'm not sure if it will have to be a gaming computer but at least $300-$400 on the cheap end.
                So there still is hope.
                Yes, I can be healed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTruNancyDrew View Post
                  I've checked my netbook the processor isn't up to speed. I'm not sure if it will have to be a gaming computer but at least $300-$400 on the cheap end.
                  I'm so sorry! I had a feeling this would happen to a lot of people as soon as they announced that they were switching to Unity. It's going to be a shame if longtime fans, all of whom have stuck it out through this mess, are alienated again because they can't even play the game made to "attract" newcomers. I hope you're able to find something. If it comes down to it, I'm sure you could find a refurbished computer with an Intel i3-i7 core and get by. You can always buy RAM separately too. If you're really considering buying one, just make sure to tell the people you're buying from what specs you want.

Comment

I will def want to order a physical copy of the game cuz I love collecting them. I currently have a new macbook air 2018 that does not have a CD rom drive in it though...not my choice, they just don't make the new macbooks with them anymore. and i also have an old Windows Vista laptop that worked fine for all of the previous games.

BUT, I'm worried MID will not work on Windows Vista since Vista isn't even listed in their operating systems for MID :( And if it doesn't work on Vista, then I'll have to buy an external CD rom drive for my macbook which is like $100...I suppose its a good investment if it means I get to play future ND games on my macbook but still thats a lot of money to make the game work.

Does anyone else know for sure if MID will work on Windows Vista??
                    "My parents are always bugging me – why aren't you
                    more like that Drew girl? She's in Whateverstan,
                    just saved the blah blah blah from the who cares."

–Deirdre Shannon, ASH

~My Threads~

My Thoughts on GTH
                    Newer Games vs. Older Games: Why are the older games better than the new ones? What things do the newer games lack? What will make the newer games seem better?

Comment

Originally posted by nancydrew_TOT View Post
                      I will def want to order a physical copy of the game cuz I love collecting them. I currently have a new macbook air 2018 that does not have a CD rom drive in it though...not my choice, they just don't make the new macbooks with them anymore. and i also have an old Windows Vista laptop that worked fine for all of the previous games.

BUT, I'm worried MID will not work on Windows Vista since Vista isn't even listed in their operating systems for MID :( And if it doesn't work on Vista, then I'll have to buy an external CD rom drive for my macbook which is like $100...I suppose its a good investment if it means I get to play future ND games on my macbook but still thats a lot of money to make the game work.

Does anyone else know for sure if MID will work on Windows Vista??
                      Yeah, most laptops are moving away from disc drives because the technology is "outdated" now. Even the high end gaming PCs don't have them anymore because most games are bought, downloaded, and managed through digital distribution platforms now, like Steam, GOG, and Origin. Frankly, I have no clue why HeR isn't launching this game on Steam immediately, as they are more likely to generate traffic that way. If the whole idea behind the switch to Unity was to attract more diverse fans, why not make it available on one of, if not, the most frequented gaming distribution services? That would automatically eliminate issues with limited downloads too.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm inclined to say that it will not run, and it will most definitely not run on XP. The other games were point-and-click and had pre-rendered environments (with fixed lightmapping and texture mapping). This technique was utilized a lot back in the day because it allowed for more lush, photorealistic game environments, but devs moved away from that once the technology became advanced enough to achieve the same (or better) visuals with real-time rendering. In essence, as pretty as SEA was, it wasn't demanding at all. MID, on the other hand, has 360 free-range motion, and the characters and environments are rendered in real-time. That change alone is going to make the game require higher performance to run smoothly. Just to compare, the requirements for SEA, their most sophisticated game before MID, listed a processor that first came out in 2001, 512 MB of RAM (which is tiny and couldn't even run Windows 10 OS smoothly), a 128 MB DirectX 9.0-compatible graphics card, a 16-bit DirectX 9.0-compatible sound card, and 3 GB of harddrive space. This translates to "low performance required to run," which is why even XP SP3 users were able to get it to run.

If you get me your specs, I can give you a more definitive answer, but I would be genuinely amazed if this game ran on your old laptop. If I were you, I would wait to buy the external disc drive though, unless you think you're going to use it enough to warrant that expense. Also, I know next to nothing about Macs, but I don't think a PC version of the game would run on your MacBook, even if you did shell out for an external disc drive. They aren't selling physical copies of the game for Mac, so you might want to check on that before purchasing one. So sorry!

Comment

I might be in the same boat....My graphics are Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB on my macbook. I guess this means I won't be able to play since my graphics aren't high enough, right? Any thoughts?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about Macbooks, but if you have an Intel graphics card in the 3000 series, it probably isn't going to run, even at the lowest graphics settings. The minimum graphics requirements for Macs listed on the game page is Intel HD 4000, which is the next generation of graphics cards. I'm unsure if I can post outside links post-update, but I'll just say there are ways you can check if your computer meets requirements through external websites. I think there's a feature in Steam that does the same thing, but I can't remember. You could also email HeR's tech support and ask if your computer will run it; that's probably your best resource right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X