Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of this game? (No spoilers, please!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To each their own I guess, but a 44% Horrible rating? That seems very harsh and inaccurate. To preface, I am in my 40s now, I have literally been playing these games since day 1. I've waited months and years between some games. I was very upset and disappointed with HER, and the mis-communications regarding the release of MiS - that ALL being said, once I started playing MiS, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Is it the BEST Nancy game? No. But it certainly ranks up there. I wish there was some more exploring/snooping - since that's my favourite thing, and the dialogue was a lot at times, but these are things that can be improved. I am looking forward to the next one.

Comment

• I have always love Nancy Drew games, and like most fans I have waited 5 years and 2 deployment in the military to play this game. Within the first few seconds of playing this game I knew something was wrong. not only was it full of glitches but the whole aspect of the game was outdated to say the least. You have to lower the graphics just to play the game without lagging, however the graphics on the high setting are already horrid. The game was difficult in all the wrong ways! Navigating was a nightmare and the whole 360 view was burdensome and strenuous but required when it comes to the games progression. The few puzzles in the game were either too easy or difficult only because of the lack of instruction. The story was weak with little to no excitement and it had no drama what so ever. Being a game with the most characters it gave you no look into their lives or story. the new "sleek" design is cheap and amateurish, for example your inventory items are just white shapes, making it difficult to identify items. When it comes to conversation they are plentiful but redundant and you have no choice in what you say only in the order you say them, which is a common theme to the game such as you have to follow the task list to a T and cannot move on to another task until you finish your current one. There are few items you can even investigate making for boring sets. Unlike past games, this one offers no educational aspects. It had no references to past games or characters which is something I always loved to see. Not having a note pad or real task list was infuriating, if you missed something you couldn't look to see what was happening. No fun mini games to play. After waiting for so long I'm sure we all expected for this game to last a while however I finished it in 6 hours. For a mystery game there is no mystery, You figure out who the culprit is about halfway through but oddly don't discuss it with anyone. There were so many unexplained things that it caused the game to become confusing and uninteresting. I wish there had been more for the player to have to figure out but all the information and clues were just handed to you. The game had no instruction to it and you had to hit every vocal Que in order to progress. I'm not sure why this game change from the old ones but I personally saw nothing wrong with the past games and I quiet looked forward to them. I don't want a hyper realistic game which is what I assume they were shooting for, I just want the old Nancy Drew with great new stories and mysteries. I fear this is the final game we will be seeing which is a shame after doing so well in the past and producing great games. I just wish it would have ended on a good note. If this is truly the beginning of the end the least they could do is give us one more game and wrap up all lose ends, bring back old characters, let us in on all the secrets some games hinted at and give Nancy a happy ending. Give us a happy ending.

Comment

• Navigation was the most frustrating part for me. (Beside the characters' mouths not matching audio, cringe!) It's not easy to play on a laptop because it "glides" more than point and click. But I liked the story and activities, so I'll replay it.
        How much better to get
        ……wisdom than gold,¸•*¨¯¨*•¸
        …………………….¸•*¨¯¨*•¸..*•-»....)}
        ……………………{(.....«·¸.`•.,¸_¸,.•´to get insight
        Proverbs 16:16……. `•.,¸¸,.´'
        rather than silver!

My 2016 reviews:
        |TMB|

Comment

• As a Nancy Drew game fan, I was very disappointed. One thing I would have liked is to have an option to turn the background music down without turning the dialogue down. The music drowned out the dialogue. The game was very slow and clunky, the dialogue was too slow and went on too long. The navigation was awkward. The puzzles were few and far between, and most were unsolvable without the strategy guide. The only one I enjoyed solving was the apothecary chest puzzle. The dialogue at the end dragged on way too long. The next time I consider a Nancy Drew game, I'll check the message board reviews first.
          Last edited by Dianeb; December 11, 2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• I just bought it a little while ago and the entire game's set-up is terrible! I want the old set-up back that's tried and true! The graphics are terrible in this game! Moving at all is horrible and it's so slow. It honestly felt like the game was made back in the very very VERY early 2000s. Sea of Darkness was so fun, why couldn't you continue with that style?

Comment

• I am 32 and have been playing ND games since I was 10. I have a DELL XPS that won't run the two oldest ND games, so I bought an ancient laptop off ebay just so I could continue to play them- that should tell you how much I love the games...

I have played Salem a couple times now. I think you need to figure out where you want to go with ND games. I have a multitude of actual video games, my favorites being Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn. Both of which have excellent graphics, highly complex gameplay, multiple scenarios and somewhat of an open world for exploration. This is not the past format of ND games, but it seems you tried to merge a little of the old ND gameplay format with more of a modern video game style, similar to what I described above. The results were more 3D like graphics, but were poorly executed. Movement in the game was aggravating- you weren't always sure where you could move to (especially getting out of the museum). The animation lagged behind the audio often. I felt that the graphics were far more pleasant in the games such as Ghost of Thornton Hall and Sea of Darkness (IMO best overall ND games to date). Silent Spy and Alibi in Ashes also qualified with detailed, lovely graphics. Many people playing ND games are doing so on slower, older PCs that won't be able to handle the newer, heavier RAM requiring graphics. My PC did fine, but that's not the case for many fans. They need to face the music and work on upgrading their systems- as long as you're going to deliver with better character animation... and I mean way better.

The game did have an interesting setting and plot- and a good variety of characters. It was nice to see so many. I enjoyed the history that was included as well. Nancy's voice actress was emotionless, and her character was missing the snarky, comical side we have come to love about Nancy. Having Frank and Joe around was a plus. Dierdre was hilarious. Puzzles were just OK.

If you want the game to stay affordable, appeal to your existing fan base and new fan bases- stick with the previous graphics, and focus on more and intriguing story, more gameplay options, and quicker turnover time. One of the main reasons you've lost fan base is because of the development time this game took and the lackluster result. People expected better results for four years of waiting when we were accustomed to two games a year. ND games are meant to be fun, informative, comical, interesting and best of all- THEY AREN'T LIKE REGULAR VIDEO GAMES THAT TAKE 40 HOURS TO COMPLETE. Don't try to compete with the larger, more expensive games- because it's going to destroy the ND franchise.

One huge thing you're utterly failing at is creating/building excitement regarding the new upcoming video game. Your marketing team sucks in this area. You need to be more transparent and communicate with your fans. Get us some trailers, characters, even just a simple storyline. If your fans need to update their ancient PC systems- tell them, so they aren't wondering why their hardware doesn't work with the game.

Stick with what you're good at and what's been proven successful. And stay away from political statements in the game if you're smart.

Overall game rating: 5
              Best part of the game: Storyline/plot/character interaction
              Worst part of the game: Animation of characters/facial expressions sucked- although scenery was very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dianeb View Post
                As a Nancy Drew game fan, I was very disappointed. One thing I would have liked is to have an option to turn the background music down without turning the dialogue down. The music drowned out the dialogue. The game was very slow and clunky, the dialogue was too slow and went on too long. The navigation was awkward. The puzzles were few and far between, and most were unsolvable without the strategy guide. The only one I enjoyed solving was the apothecary chest puzzle. The dialogue at the end dragged on way too long. The next time I consider a Nancy Drew game, I'll check the message board reviews first.
                Agreed. The music was so ridiculously loud that I could often barely understand the dialogue.

Comment

• Aweful, I have been playing these games since I was in Highschool, I have bought every single one. Years we waited on this game...YEEEEEAAAARS and the one game worse than this one is the very first game. We were kept waiting for so long only to for us all to have to pay for a sub par product. I am saying goodbye to nancy drew and herinteractive. The lag is unbearable. The lengthy dialogs and short puzzles....it was boring. The graphics are worse than the old games. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I am so disappointed in you herinteractive. You have lost a 15 year fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by mamabarebear View Post
                    Aweful, I have been playing these games since I was in Highschool, I have bought every single one. Years we waited on this game...YEEEEEAAAARS and the one game worse than this one is the very first game. We were kept waiting for so long only to for us all to have to pay for a sub par product. I am saying goodbye to nancy drew and herinteractive. The lag is unbearable. The lengthy dialogs and short puzzles....it was boring. The graphics are worse than the old games. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I am so disappointed in you herinteractive. You have lost a 15 year fan.
                    I have been playing and had all the ND Adventure Games (for PC and sold them as a set as nothing was being released). FYI - I liked the first game. Bought this digital game for nostalgia reasons (so glad I didn’t pay for physical copy). Didn’t like anything about this game and only kept going to finish the game. The camera was awful, very hard to move around the game, graphics were awful, and nothing was like the original games for me. To wait sooooo long for a new game and this is what we got- do not waste your money.

Edit: Haven’t been on for awhile so just saw this post. Wouldn’t let me vote (might be closed) - but, would give 1 only.
                    Last edited by Cat Woman; February 12, 2021, 06:43 AM.
                    Pharaoh´s Tomb

Comment

• this (alleged) game was an entire flop and the only saving grace was laughing at how bad some of it truly was. the delays all started to make sense as i progressed through the game. i sympathize with them on that because i wouldn't have wanted to release this either, but here we are. a bit of constructive criticism: if it's not broken, don't change it. this game would have been fun if it used the old game engine and kept lani but whatevs, u do u sis! 🙈
                      AWESOME SHIPS:
                      += Drarry

+= Harmony

*edited* <-- i did not do this!
                      + = Dramione

if u love dis site follow the SignatureContentRules becoz jesus wud do it.xoxo gossip girl
                      ra ven claw
                      a ready mind ; those of wit and learning ; LUMOS MCDRIZZLE
                      T
                      SOMETIMES I FALL DOWN THE STAIRS AT NIGHT

Comment

• I thought it was different and took some getting adjusted to in the beginning, but once I got the hang of it I actually really enjoyed the game! The setting was beautiful and the charachters were in depth. I think the only thing I would change is add a few more puzzles and maybe get rid of the rolling 3-d thing with the right side of the mouse. Please make more games!

Comment

• I am honestly surprised so many people rated this game so poorly.
                          It took me awhile to get a hang of the new setup and how to move/etc but once I did I really enjoyed it!
                          A few more puzzles would have been nice but the environment was gorgeous and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.
                          MUCH better than shattered medallion or ransom ofthe seven ships.
                          Not as amazing as curse of blackmoor manor/shadow ranch/sea of darkness etc.
                          But this game was definetly worth the play and made me come back wanting more games soon!

Comment

• I think mostly people rated it poorly because compared to almost EVERY other ND game it was poor....

Comment

• Hello everyone, I was just as upset as you were)
                              I would like very much to be able to turn off the background music without turning off the dialogue - it pisses me off because I have always got used to do everything with music, but I want to cheer us all up and wish you the soonest enjoyment of the updated and such beloved Nancy Drew

***REMOVED***
                              Please do not include your real name and do not include outside web links. This will cause you to be banned from the forums.
                              Last edited by hedgie; May 20, 2021, 07:19 AM. Reason: Mod's Note: Outside web links

Comment

• If zero stars was an option, I would have ticked it. DNF I am so bitterly disappointed with the game - so much that I cannot finish it. WAAAAAY too much diologue, not enough puzzle. The clunky use of the mouse to look around and to move items in the few puzzles was as much frustrating as it is distracting. The graphics are TERRIBLE. I downloaded Danger on Deception Island at the same time and the graphics for that game release in 2003 has the same level of graphics. I understand that designers feel the need to update how this are done...however there is something to be said for "if the formula isn't broke, it don't need fixing". FAIL! I have purchased ALL of the Nancy Drew games and this is the first time I didn't finish. The characters (that I had met) were foolish, cruel and even Nancy herself isn't very smart or likable in this game. Sorry guys. Such a long wait, for a game that bought me absolutely no joy.
                                Last edited by Whickette; September 11, 2021, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X