A Longtime ND game player's review of RAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Longtime ND game player's review of RAN

Hello everyone! I'm a new member to this forum, but I am not new to the forum or any of the ND games. Anyway, on with the incredibly long review!

There are some major issues that I would like to address concerning RAN:

No sense of urgency - I mean, come on. Bess, ND's best friend and George's cousin (correct me if I'm wrong) is missing! There was a lot more urgency in The Final Scene, the first kidnapping ND faced. Little things could have shown urgency, too; for example, at the very beginning of the game, you can pick up that bat vocalizer thingy, and you don't even know what to do with it yet. If ND said something like, "I don't need this, I need to focus on finding Bess!" until she knew she needed to use it, it would have made Bess's kidnapping a whole lot more believable. Nancy and George acted like she's just hiding or something, for crying out loud!

3rd person playing - Okay, I know everyone has said something about this because it's just so crazy. I know that one or two third person actions in a game is fine, but sailing, driving, diving, and rock-climbing? It's just too much; what happened to being in the shoes of the girl detective we all know and love?

Length of game - In some aspects the game is long, but in others, it is extremely short. The puzzles required more time than in previous games, IMO, especially the blackout lock in the resort and the color sudoku later on; that's what made it long. Don't get me wrong, I love the puzzles in the ND games, but it seemed like they were put there in place of snooping and looking for and through stuff, which was short, if not non-existent. Snooping, looking through other people's things, and character interrogation is what seperates the Nancy Drew games from other puzzle games.

Characters - There basically were none. You didn't get to know Bess or George any better, and you didn't get to talk much to George and Johnny. And I don't think that animals count as characters; maybe HER thought so...

The End - I was surprised, but not in a good way. It was very unexpected and there was nothing leading up to it.

Don't get me wrong, I liked some parts of the game, like the scenery, music, and the references to old games, especially since it was the 20th game, but I think that RAN was a real disappointment for such an important number. It made me think of a puzzle game that you can buy online that is just puzzles, but no character interaction or anything else. The game isn't terrible or anything, but if you've been playing the ND games for as long as I have, it's a really big change.

I really hope HER hears all of what we are saying so they can keep making the ND games better, or else they may lose a lot of longtime customers. I think that the next one looks like it may be good though; it's got my hopes up.
    ~*My reviews and my petition!*~
    *Ransom of the Seven Ships
    *Warnings at Waverly Academy
    *Trail of the Twister
    *Secrets Can Kill - Remastered
    *The Captive Curse
    *Tomb of the Lost Queen

Excellent review, StarMaiden! I agree completely. RAN was a big letdown, but the next game looks exciting.

Comment

My sad review

I did not really like this game. I do miss the searching in rooms, doors, drawers, closets, cupboards etc. That was fun. Felt like I was really being a detective. I'm afraid those days are over for the Nancy Drew games.

Comment

Thanks for your comments! I know that RAN wasn't that wonderful, but I think that the people that are saying "Oh, HER should just give up" or "I'll never buy another ND game again" over this one game are being very extreme. But I'm not going to be one of the customers I mentioned that HER may be losing; I'm a loyal ND fan. I think everybody has an off day, especially in the times we're in, and I think that everyone should cut HER some slack.
        *Trail of the Twister
        *The Captive Curse
        *Tomb of the Lost Queen

Comment

I'm a loyal ND fan! No matter how bad the games are, they are still fun! 20 dollars is a deal for an adventure game (sorry for those who live elsewhere and have to pay more $$$)

Comment

I completely agree
            *Trail of the Twister
            *The Captive Curse
            *Tomb of the Lost Queen

Comment

Your review was "right on" - hope to read more reviews from you in the future. I've been playing since 2006 I think and have played all the games and love them. Even though I was disappointed in this game primarily for the "third person" issue and the overabundance of puzzles, I intend to buy the next game. It looks promising and I am hoping for the investigating, snooping, questioning and collecting that was a staple of most of the Nancy Drew games. Thanks for sharing your comments and viewpoints! Let's hope WAWA (is that what it will be called...really???) is a turnaround for this collection of games and our voices are heard! Reps to you for an "over and above" review!

Some of my favorites:

Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
              Danger on Deception Island
              Secret of Shadow Ranch
              Curse of Blackmoor Manor
              Treasure in the Royal Tower
              Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
              The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
              Legend of the Crystal Skull
              The Phantom of Venice
              The Haunting of Castle Malloy
              Warnings at Waverly Acadamy
              Shadow at the Water's Edge
              The Captive Curse
              Ghost of Thornton Hall
              The Silent Spy

Comment

Thank you very much! WAWA is what people have been abbreviating it, and it stands for Warnings at Waverly Academy.
                *Trail of the Twister
                *The Captive Curse
                *Tomb of the Lost Queen

Comment

I suspect that the new game will be WWA...even though WAWA is cuter!

Some of my favorites:

Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
                  Danger on Deception Island
                  Secret of Shadow Ranch
                  Curse of Blackmoor Manor
                  Treasure in the Royal Tower
                  Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
                  The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
                  Legend of the Crystal Skull
                  The Phantom of Venice
                  The Haunting of Castle Malloy
                  Warnings at Waverly Acadamy