• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *LilDectective*
    replied
    OMigosh great review!!

OMIGOSH i agree!
    Even though i enjoyed RAN, i totally agree with you on several aspects:
    -3rd person usage was riducoulous, in the other games, i wished we could see Nancy; but sometimes during this game, i think we saw too much. At least in Haunting of Castle Malloy it was dark out when she was walking
    -Characters. This game definetly needed more characters. I was also a little bit dissapointed with the way bess and george looked. I'd always imagined them in my head, and seeing them in person didn't meet expectations.
    -puzzles. there were a lot of puzzles. During the game, I enjoyed some (george's slider puzzle, the underwater suduko (btw if any one needs a hint on that i have a really good way to do it)) but others....not so much. Especially the battery Also the last puzzle, i felt no nervousness or urgency about it. The music wasnt even intense.

Overall, i like RAn mainly for the setting, though i think. HER did a good job, but RAN is not my favorite.I just read my review and it sounds really critical but i did enjoy the game!

Leave a comment:

• ConnectTheDots
    replied
    Thanks so much to mrskim, CassandraBelic and CowMoo13 for reading and providing such detailed feedback! :)

CowMoo13, thank you for the very kind letter. :) As for "slow as molasses," I never knew where that expression came from. I've always said it, though!

Leave a comment:

• CowMoo13
    replied
    Dear ConnectTheDots,
    Wow, amazing review as always! I've read all of your reviews, and I've never found something I didn't agree with. Your reviews are always so detailed, and very easy to understand. This was wonderful!

Love Always,
    ~CM13

P.S. "slow as molasses in January" hmm... is that a Gone With the Wind reference maybe?

Leave a comment:

• CassandraBelic♫
    replied
    All Nancy does is solve puzzle after puzzle after puzzle. As I was playing, I forgot about the kidnapping bit, honestly. It was all one big treasure hunt and I am oh so very tired of treasure hunts being the focus of Nancy Drew games.

That was so annoying! It was as if Bess was never kidnapped.

CouCou the parrot is… well, annoying. Instead of creating an entirely new character with a new personality, HeR gives us CouCou. CouCou is exactly like LouLou from CUR except a little younger. The inclusion of CouCou may be a plus for some, but I would have rather been able to interact with a brand new suspect than LouLou reborn.

I felt the same way with Coucou. It was as if HeR was trying to copy and paste what was popular in the past to new games.

Nancy Drew is not a professional puzzle solver; she’s a detective.

Good point. We play because we want detective work.

But in this game, we’re only her for half of the time, really.

I never thought of third person that way, but you're right. We are only Nancy when we see through her eyes.

because I was so tired of refilling that tank!

lol, that tank was going to give me a stroke!

Great review! You said it and judged it very well! 5 stars

Leave a comment:

• mrskim
    replied
    ConnectThe Dots, amazing review..
    Very honest, yet you remain very calm throughout..
    I have decided not to buy this game as I read the reviews and watch the game walkthrough in the Internet, it doesn't look like fun as I am not a puzzle person.

Nancy's climbing the rocks looks like a spider, I was giggling the whole time when she climbs the rock, it looks so funny, and so unrealistic, unless Nancy's a Kungfu fighter, she would definitely need equipments! She looks like a daredevil climbing high rocks with bare hands..
    I was surprised to see the amount of 3rd person in this game.. I wish HER doesn't make it into a habit, or else we will be very disappointed.

I hate playing with the monkeys, and you're right, if there's a monkey's training center, why there are no trainers?
    Even though this game was supposed to make us feel isolated, it's kind of weird. If there's a resort, there should be people there. And resort without telephone? I wonder how they will get any customers. (correct me if I'm wrong, that's what I understand from the demo and walkthrough.)
    If HER wants to make us feel deserted, there should be no resort at all.. so kind of makes it like Survivor, that would be much more interesting!

Leave a comment:

• ConnectTheDots
    replied
    Thanks to FancyNancy16, ~Snuggle Girl~, and Layna for reading and posting your thoughts!

Wow, guys - so much feedback! =] Thanks a million.

FancyNancy16, nice list of good games! Those are some of my favorites. :)

~Snuggle Girl~, I'm glad to help! It's nice to hear the thoughts of those who have played the game, but I love to hear from those who haven't yet, too!

Layna, I read lots of reviews before I bought the game. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was going to purchase it. The main reason why I did was because I had the first 19. 19 out of 20 just didn't sound very nice.

Leave a comment:

• Layna
    replied
    what a thorough review! i will probably still buy the game, though.

i also agree that the 3rd person isn't great. it makes the graphics in the game look a lot older- like in HAU. i didn't like the walking around part.

Leave a comment:

• ~Snuggle Girl~
    replied
    Thanks for your review! I have yet to play the game, and found your review very helpful!

Leave a comment:

• FancyNancy16
    replied
    You have hit the nail on the head! I agree with everything you said!!! RAN was a huge disappointment. I wanted a detective game, not a puzzle game. This was just a string of neverending puzzles. Great Review, and I really hope that HER 1. Gets rid of third person and 2. concentrates more on making good games like DOG, FIN, SHA, and TRT and less on the message board. RAN cannot even be compared to the games I mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• ConnectTheDots
    replied
    Thanks to Wilhelmina, Lenehazel and MyCatTilly for the feedback! I looooove hearing everyone's thoughts on the game.

Wilhelmina, good point on the pilot! I really liked the beginning of this game with the plane. I guess he couldn't really be on the island, though, because then they would have someone who could fly back to get help and that would be the end of the game. =P

Lenehazel, thanks for your complimentary words! I think whenever I play the games, I'm going to start tallying the number of puzzles in each one. It'll be interesting to see the number change with each game.

MyCatTilly, you're too kind! I, too, wonder how much third person will be in WAC. People were complaining about the third person in HAU, and now they're really complaining.

Leave a comment:

• MyCatTilly
    replied
    Great review as always, ConnectTheDots! Just so well thought out, and every opinion was backed up perfectly. As you commented on my review, we agree on pretty much everything but the graphics.

I'm kind of on pins and needles, hoping for a response from HER about all of the negative (or rather, constructive criticism) reviews of RAN. I'd really like to get inside of their heads and see what their plan for the future games are. Are they considering making changes? Will they continue third person? Who knows, but they did post about the negative reaction to CRE when it came out so I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they might about RAN.

Originally posted by ConnectTheDots View Post
    If something sounds wrong here, it should. We’re supposed to be Nancy Drew. But in this game, we’re only her for half of the time, really.
    I just loved this. I want to plaster it all over the forum, or maybe get it tattooed on my forehead...too much?

Leave a comment:

• Lenehazel
    replied
    While I read your review, I found myself thinking, "So true" and "I feel exactly the same" and "I couldn't have said it better myself."

Nicely done. :)

I loved the section you wrote about puzzles. I hadn't actually counted how many there were, but to hear that there were twenty puzzles explains why I felt like the whole game was a puzzle. Personally, I'm more of an interrogate suspects and deal with suspense type of girl. Dealing with kidnappers on a deserted island sounds like it could've been such a suspenseful game; I was really disappointed. :( I thought you tackled that section very well and I couldn't agree with you more.

Thank you for such an informative review. You did a wonderful job!

Leave a comment:

• Wilhelmina
    replied
    There were certain things in this review that you said extremely well. For one thing, there really was potential for other characters--like the Gibsons, or even the pilot! If more people were stranded with them, it may have created more urgency to get off. Also, the way you described third person was great. I felt the same way about the sunken shipwreck and not feeling like I was Nancy. Unfortunately, this aspect of the game made me sit back without much caring what happened next. And I think that is what I disliked most about RAN. There's nothing to care about.

Leave a comment:

• idancebetter
    replied
    Ha, sorry, I edited my post - that didn't make any sense

Leave a comment:

• ConnectTheDots
    replied
    Wow!

Awww... thanks to Adventureous, idancebetter, elpana, MysteryEye, and StarMaiden for reading and the lovely comments! :) I wasn't sure if anyone would because it's pretty long.

idancebetter, I'm not sure what you mean by "Although I'd just give RAN a 6..." because I don't use number ratings in my reviews. I don't rate the games mostly because I find that everyone has a different idea of what "average" is on number scales.

elpana - nice points! I definitely agree that I miss the questioning, snooping Nancy. She has lost lots of her spunk in recent games.

StarMaiden, I felt the same way about the suspects! I'm usually annoyed when I have to have long conversations with people, particularly phone characters, but I missed the conversation in this game. So you're right - I guess I like talking more than I thought! =]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X