Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEA Review

Sea of Darkness: released in May 2015

Based on the Book: The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #27, published in 1950)

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Not very closely. They both have to do with ships but that's pretty much the only similarity.

The Mystery/Crime: Missing person

Mode Of Transportation: Snowmobile, dinghy

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: Iceland; the Icelandic language; ships

Brief Plot Synopsis: Nancy goes to Iceland when she is hired to find Magnus Kiljansson, a ship captain who recently went missing.

Brief Character Synopsis:

1. Dagny Silva - a sarcastic American treasure hunter who hired Nancy to find her missing business partner Magnus
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Shannon Sossamon

2. Elisabet Grimursdottir - a woman who helps run the local festival and is Magnus's ex-girlfriend
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live action movie/TV show: Agusta Eva Erlendsdottir

3. Gunnar Tonnisson - a cranky old sailor who doesn't like tourists
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Olafur Darri Olafsson

4. Soren Bergursson - a man who runs the Culture Center and is considered an outsider because he wasn't born right in Skipbrot
    Actor I would cast to play him if it were a live action movie/TV show: Darri Ingolfsson

Phone Characters:

1. Alex Trang - works in a control tower and communicated with Magnus by radio

2. Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend (and Ned's roommate Burt is sometimes there with him when Nancy calls)

My favorite quotes:

"Untrue words still hurt" - Elisabet

"Nothing says "I love you" like a new murder tool" - Soren

"Hey, you stood me up. Pretty sure I get a free pass on puns for eternity." - Ned

My Thoughts: I like this game quite a bit. The graphics are beautiful, it has a good story, good characters and character development, and an interesting backstory for the town and alleged treasure. The song is a unique addition to the games. I think my favorite part of this game is the puzzles. I'm not usually too into puzzles but the ones in this game were pretty unique and were challenging but not too difficult. I especially liked the fish puzzle, the lighthouse puzzles, and the puzzles in the captain's quarters. The only puzzle I hated in this game was the kitchen cooking puzzle which I still don't understand, but you don't have to complete it to finish the game so it doesn't really matter.

Another thing I like about this game is the depth of emotions. The phone conversations with Ned, the conversations with Elisabet about her relationship with Magnus, and learning about Gunnar's family were all emotional moments that made the characters and situations feel more real.

I agree with other reviewers that this game is one of the best recent ones. I still feel that there's something missing that keeps it from being as good as the earlier games, but I really can't put my finger on quite what that is. But all in all, I enjoy this game.

My Rating: 8/10
    Last edited by Lyrical; March 2, 2021, 05:03 PM.
Working...
X