Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLK Review

Secret of the Old Clock: released in 2005

Based on the books: The Secret of the Old Clock, The Hidden Staircase, The Bungalow Mystery, and The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #1-4). The first three were published in 1930, the fourth published in 1931.

How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Pretty Closely. There are elements of all four books included in the game. It most closely follows the first book.

The Mystery/Crime: Theft; possible arson

Mode Of Transportation: Car

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is learned about in this game?: Life in 1930; hobo signs

Brief Plot Synopsis: In 1930, Nancy investigates suspicious activity after her friend Emily's mother dies and Emily inherits the family hotel

Brief Character Synopsis:

Emily Crandall - Nancy's friend who recently lost her mother, got a new guardian, and inherited an inn
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Isabelle Fuhrman

Jane Willoughby - Emily's new guardian
    Actress I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Geena Davis

Jim Archer - Titusville banker
    Actor I would cast to play her if it were a live-action movie or TV show: Willie Garson

Richard Topham - Psychic who lives next door to Lilac Inn
    Actor I would cast to play her it were a live-action movie or TV show: John O'Hurley

Phone Characters:

Bess Marvin - Nancy's friend

Carson Drew- Nancy's father

George Fayne - Nancy's friend

Mrs. Farthingham - Shares a phone line with Bess and George

Mr. Waddell - Titusville Jeweler

Other characters:
    Uri - Richard Topham's cat

The townsfolk (Mrs. Sheldon, Dr. Bob, Rebecca, etc.)

My favorite quote:

"Of course it tastes bad Clarence, it's a pine cone!" - Mrs. O'Shea

My Thoughts: This isn't one of my absolute favorite games, but I do like it a lot. The prohibition era of the late 20s and early 30s is my favorite historical era, so this game was right up my alley. I love that this game takes place in 1930; that was a very unique and clever idea. I also love mini-golf, so the golf course was something I liked as well. The movie references made by the townsfolk were cute and clever. It was also neat that they incorporated elements of the first four Nancy Drew books into the game. The one thing I really disliked in this game was that you have to listen to the entire spiel about Zippy's every time you get gas. I really wish I could have fast-forwarded through that.

My Random Comments: I was going to mention how I much I hate the task of sewing the dress in this game, as it usually takes me a million tries to get it right. However, the last time I played this game, I did it right on the very first time. I was shocked! I think it just proves that I play these games way too much. :)

My Rating: 8/10
Working...
X