• What I Really Thought: SSH

.....................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:

Secret of the
    N
    Scarlet Hand

edition

Plot

Our young sleuth landed an internship at a museum in Washington DC that focuses on Mayan culture. Everything is running smoothly until a prized artifact is stolen without a trace of the thief - except a blood red hand print. Guess who's on the case?

The idea of the plot is pretty cool and you probably won't be able to predict the next step in the story. Really, almost nothing happens the way you think it will, which is very fun. I had some issues with the rest of the game, but we'll get to that later.

For the plot, 8/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics and Setting

The graphics in this game have improved since TRT and FIN. Again, they're still stiff but more realistic than ever.

So where does this all take place? You get to explore the rather small Beech Hill Museum and quite a few offices in the area, traveling by subway. It's a good mix of small stops and more spacious destinations but you don't see any actual DC landmarks.

Combined = 8/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Puzzles

Nearly all of the puzzles in this game are chores but that’s not to say that they aren't challenging. On the contrary, they can be enormously frustrating. But I can't really say that I found any of them to be particularly fun. Just sort of blah.

I give them 3/10

Characters

The characters in this game are ok. They each have a purpose for being in the game and they each have a motive. But their personalities are sort of forgettable. For me, the two best characters in the game consist of a phone friend and a person who you never meet or talk to.

I give it 4/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

Following the genius of FIN's ending, this does not disappoint. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's got that "quick thinking" thing that I love. The ending is hands down the best part of the game.

I give it 9.5/10

Overall

So my main issue with SSH? You spend a good chunk of time on chores before the theft even occurs. True, while doing said chores you uncover clues, motives, and the like but, it was a bit overkill. And be prepared to learn more about the Maya then you probably ever wanted to (and that's coming from someone who enjoys history)

So it moves slowly, can be incredibly frustrating and requires a lot of note taking (on average, I use about 1-2 sheets of paper per game. SSH takes up at least 5) So, yeah...not one of my favorites but I do enjoy replaying it from time to time.

Overall score: 5.5/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 2/10 but the ending gets it's own rating with 7/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 8.5/10

"Should I buy this game?"

There isn't a single ND that I wouldn't recommend. If you end up not liking this game, don't let that stop you from trying out others in the series. There is a ton of variety. And keep in mind that just because I don't love it, doesn't mean you won't :)

Happy Gaming!
    MyCatTilly
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; November 15, 2009, 11:52 AM.
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

Thats a pretty good review! Reps.

Comment

What a great review!! I know that
      you did this a looong time ago.....
      but I love your reviews and I just
      had to read this! I was thinking
      about getting it and this helps!
      Thanks!!
      -Delancey
      .....Delancey
      ..... ,•*¨¯¨*•, .... I can’t control myself
      .... ( ... •,¸¸,' ............So many times I’ve tried
      ...... `×.,¸_¸,.×´¨¯¨*•, .......But I’m still c a g e d inside
      .<•-.¸ .................... `×.,¸__¸,.×´¨¯¨*•,
      ........`•.,•*¨¯¨*•, ............ ¸.-•-.¸ . •,¸¸,'
      .........( . `•. ...... `•. ...... ',¸¸,• . )
      .......... `•._) .........
      `×.,¸__¸,.×´
      ©L.bulldog & Three Days Grace

Comment

Nice review! :D
        SSH is actually one of my favorite ND games..
        even though it's quite full of chores, it is not over, like ICE/ newer games, and basically we could learn something from those chores, so I don't mind
        One puzzle that I dislike the most is the maze. Other than that, I guess they're still acceptable in difficulty level, it still has the athmosphere of good ole' ND games..

I would love to play this game over and over again if only my CD wasn't broke..
        ,´¯`·..´´·,,´¯`·._.´©GirlD

Comment

Chores... lousy. Ending...cool. And I want to meet Sonny Joon that everybody keeps talking about! Ummm... so how scary is this ending? I wonder if I can handle it
          Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

Hmm, I don't really know how to describe the ending without completely giving it away. It's not scary in a spooky kind of a way, but it does contain something that is a little...morbid for lack of a better word. I really don't consider it to be nightmare worthy, just creepy. But I'd hate to suggest that you do anything out of your comfort zone, so it really all depends on your definition of scary.

Yikes, I'm not sure if that was helpful or confusing but hopefully the former.
            aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
            SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
            TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
            LCC RED

Comment

Ok. It sounds a little difficult and a bit creepy. Thanks for the answers! I think I'll come back to this one when I've done a few more mysteries.
              Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

What a great review! Very informative! I shall read all your reviews! And possibly play the game again!
                Reviews!
                SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLO TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN

With just a little bit of faith,
                I can move a mountain.

Comment

You always make the best reviews, MyCatTilly! I'll be sure to read them all!
                  Check out my reviews!

From Cakes to Brocolli

Want info on the new Nancy Drew game? Doesn't give away the game! If you want to know more, click here!

Please help! My friend can't load the WAC minigame! Can you help? Click here. Thanks so much!

Comment

Everyone keeps saying it's not that scary. Is it true? And could someone tell me what is the scariest ND? Thank you.
                    I've won:
                    Stay Tuned for Danger
                    Message in the Haunted Mansion
                    Treasure in the Royal Tower
                    The Final Scene
                    Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
                    The Haunted Carousel
                    Danger on Deception Island
                    The Secret of Shadow Ranch
                    Curse of Blackmoor Manor
                    The Secret of the Old Clock
                    The Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
                    Danger by Design
                    The Creature of Kapu Cave
                    The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
                    Legend of the Crystal Skull
                    The Phantom of Venice
                    The Haunting of Castle Malloy
                    The Ransom of the Seven Ships
                    Warnings at Waverly Academy

Cheerleaders ROCK my socks!!!

I Jump for Nancy Drew

Cheerleaders make the world happy!!!=)

Comment

Thanks for the very helpful review, MyCatTilly!

Comment

GREAT review. Reps!
                        ...¸×´¨¯¨`׸
                        ...'·--·´.......) One open mind sees more than
                        (¯`•.,¸_¸,.•´..¸¤´¯)......two open eyes
                        ..`•.,¸__¸,.¤´..¸×´...............................(¯`¤´¯)
                        .................(.................¸×´¨¯¨`׸........`׸״
                        ...................`¤.,¸__¸,.¤´.......`·--·'

Comment

mysterygirl6181 I think the scariest game is CUR. this one wasn't so bad, it just involved some quick thinking. Though i did give a little *gasp* at the end haha.
                          can you dig it?
                          ...................................... <3 volleyball
                          sig shoppe: Z

Comment

Working...
                          X