Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCK Review

SECRETS CAN KILL - released in 1998

Based on the book: Secrets Can Kill, Nancy Drew Files Book #1, published in 1986
    How Closely Does the Game Follow the Book?: Pretty Closely

The Mystery/Crime: Murder

Mode Of Transportation: N/A (Nancy walks everywhere)

Is there an alarm clock in this game?: No

What is Learned About in This Game?: Braille, Kanji symbols, the effects of steroids

Brief Plot Synopsis: A student at the school where Nancy's aunt Eloise works as a librarian is murdered. Nancy goes undercover as a student to investigate.

Brief Character Synopsis:

Connie Watson - the athletic hall monitor

Daryl Gray - the flirtatious student council president from a rich political family; works at Maxine's Diner

Hal Tanaka - the studious Japanese exchange student

Hector "Hulk" Sanchez - the star football player

Phone Characters:

Mitch Dillon - the HVAC air conditioning guy

Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend

Other Characters:

Eloise Drew: Nancy's aunt

Jake Rogers: murder victim

My favorite quote: "I'm starting to get worried about you, Nancy." - Connie

My Thoughts: It's tough to judge a game that was made so long ago and was the first game in the series ever made. It wasn't the first one I ever played, though, so I suppose being the first one made might not make much of a difference to me. I enjoyed the game quite a bit. It had good characters, a good plot, and a nice variety of places to explore. The game is very similar to the book, which I'm finding seems to be a characteristic of most of the good Nancy Drew games. I might just be easily impressed, but I think that, other than the 2D characters, the graphics hold up pretty well for being over a decade old. Of course the graphics are nothing like the amazing graphics in the newer games, but I could tell what everything was, so they were fine with me. One technical issue I would like to bring up for people looking to play the game for the first time is that the end (catching the culprit) didn't work on my laptop. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but when I played the game the first time on a desktop computer I was able to catch the culprit and finish the game, but I tried several times when I played the game again on my laptop and I couldn't do it. I'm not sure if anyone else has had that problem. The worst thing about the game is having to switch disks so many times. It gets pretty tedious. There are also compatibility issues with some computers, presumably because the game is so old. You may have to try different computers before you find one on which the game will work.

Summary/Rating: This game is an obvious "first effort" but it's quite a good one. I definitely would recommend it. I give this game a 7/10 (and the only reason I gave it that low of a score is because of the disk switching).

My Random Thoughts About This Game: Why is there so much trash all over the floor in that school? Doesn't Paseo del Mar High School have a custodian? Lol. Oh, and I love that the school's nickname is "The Fighting Manatees." That's pretty cute.
Working...
X