Secrets Can Kill: My 2016+ Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets Can Kill: My 2016+ Reviews

Preface: Hi there! I'm disneygirl12, and welcome to the first of my 2016+ reviews. In the past, I've written pro/con and in-depth reviews for several games. Looking back, I feel that quite a few of them were more of my subjective opinion instead of an objective opinion. And this year going forward, I want to be able to write more in-depth reviews that discuss both my personal and critical opinions, while keeping an emphasis on the critical ones. Pro/con reviews may come back later, but for now, in-depth reviews are my primary focus. I hope you enjoy reading, as I had a lot of fun putting this first review together.

Secrets Can Kill: My 2016+ Reviews

Welcome to the first review! I hope to review each game of the series in order of their release, so let's begin with the one that started it all: the 1998 edition of Secrets Can Kill. I'll discuss different aspects of the game and give detailed explanations of my thoughts on each of them. For the first several categories, I'll give one of the following star ratings (or something in between):

« = Not So Great
    «« = Okay
    ««« = Good!
    «««« = Great!
    ««««« = Excellent!

And for the last few categories, I won't give a star rating; I'll just discuss them. :D All of these will be taken into account when determining the game's overall score. Without further ado, let's begin!

Plot: ««««
    Nancy gets the chance to solve her first mystery when she goes to visit her Aunt Eloise in Florida. Eloise is a librarian at Paseo del Mar High School, and shortly before Nancy arrives, a student named Jake Rogers is found dead at the bottom of a flight of stairs. When it begins to look like he may have been murdered, Eloise asks Nancy to solve the crime. Nancy agrees, and you step into her shoes by going undercover as a student in order to find the murderer.

Just from Nancy's opening letter, you can easily get pulled into this mystery. It's engaging and also implies that you will have to face danger and suspicion. With such an intense plot, SCK stands out among other games in the series. I don't have much else to say on this because I feel that it speaks for itself.

Story: ««
    The plot unravels in a pretty simple fashion. You can introduce yourself to the characters and explore your surroundings, and over a relatively short period of time, you uncover secrets about them and can confront them with your findings. It feels a little too step-by-step. First step: confront this character. Second step: confront that character, and so on. Even after the game's turning point, there is more of this step-by-step thing. It altogether feels pretty formulaic, but at the same time, their responses are interesting, and the information you get out of them helps you make sense of what you found in the first place and how it relates to the plot.

There probably could have been a better, less step-by-step way to unravel this story, but the events that take place and the things you find are pretty worthwhile. Even so, I'm going to give this category two stars because in comparison to other games' story-lines, this one is a bit on the weaker side.

Setting: «««
    This setting category does not only consider where the game is geographically located. It also considers the places we can visit in the game, how elaborate they are, how relevant they are to the story, and the game's overall atmosphere. :)

As stated before, Secrets Can Kill takes place in Florida. This does not have a huge impact on the mystery outside of a few palm trees in the backgrounds and the name and mascot of the school, but it doesn't need to. That's not the main focus of the game, and it knows that. This game focuses more on giving us a solid mystery to solve, so the places we visit and the game's atmosphere are what matter most here. And from the star rating, you can tell that I think these were handled pretty well.

There are four buildings you can visit in the game, and each serve some importance. However, the school is by far the most elaborate and important location in the game. This obviously makes sense because it's where the crime took place and where a majority of the characters can be found. The other buildings being less elaborate doesn't take a negative toll on the game, I think, because we see just enough. Besides, they all help develop the game's overall atmosphere.

We can only see two rooms of Aunt Eloise's house, but that's fine because the things you need to find there are there. Also, it doesn't feel like the stuff there is just conveniently placed for Nancy to find; you have to look around a bit, and the places they're at make sense. It also feels warm and promising in the house, which is supposed to contrast with the more mysterious, even eerie feeling inside the school, which it does well.

Maxine's is the 50's themed diner where you can talk to one of the characters. Again, it's not that elaborate, and possibly not even that integral to the story. But it helps give the game some extra character. When I think of SCK, Maxine's is usually one of the first things I think of. It's just a fun little place to explore in the game and, again, the happier, relaxed atmosphere contrasts well with that of the school.

The school itself is relatively elaborate, and the hallways do a great job of spacing out the different rooms. And even though the rooms or halls themselves don't have a lot to offer in terms of exploration, they again give the place some character (especially with all the secret codes you can solve). The library is definitely the largest room, and there's quite a bit to explore there. And on the whole, the school definitely carries a feeling of mystery, especially with the help of the music.

There is one other building, the pharmacy, but you hardly see any of it. It does serve importance later on in the game, though. While it does feel a little awkward that it's just standing there and you can't see much of it, I don't think it has a bad impact on the game. Remember, this is the first ND game; HeR has developed the locations in the games since then, and again, it's not like it has a bad influence on the game to begin with.

Overall, the geographical setting is not as important as the locations and tone of the game. Some locations are crucial to the game and do exactly what they should, while others help build the atmosphere and simply give the game some character. It's all handled quite well. Could it be handled better? Sure, but what we have is good enough. :D

Characters: «««
    Let's finally discuss the characters in the game! I'll start off by briefly describing their personalities and roles in the game.

Daryl Gray is student council president at Paseo del Mar and was the one who found Jake at the bottom of the stairs. Because of this and because he's a student at the school, the police appointed him to be Nancy's contact for the case. He's nice, but pretty flirty.

Hector "Hulk" Sanchez is considered the best player on the school's football team, the Manatees. His dream is to play college ball and perhaps even for a professional team someday. He seems nice enough, but can be annoyed by some of Nancy's questions.

Connie Watson is often found in the student lounge. She has a cool personality and is friendly to Nancy, but she has kind of a "tough girl" thing going on. She too can be annoyed by some of Nancy's questions and may even hide information from her, even when Nancy's on to something.

"Hal" Tanaka is an exchange student from Japan. He's always seen studying and desperately wants to get a college scholarship. While he does answer many of Nancy's questions, you still get the feeling he's hiding something.

Overall, I like this cast of characters. They're diverse and have interesting personalities, and it's neat seeing what they think of one another. In addition, they all have a secret to protect, and the game emphasizes this a lot. You definitely feel like they're hiding something, and as the story progresses, your suspicions of each one may change. Overall, I think these characters are not only interesting and fun to talk to, but they perfectly fit into this game in terms of their relations to each other and to the victim, Jake.

Puzzles: «
    The way I see it, puzzles should move the story along and add a special layer of character to the game. The strongest puzzles relate to the setting and the story, and there are some ND games that master this. There doesn't need to be a LOT of puzzles, nor do they need to be super complicated, in order for this to happen. There just needs to be a balance.

In Secrets Can Kill, there are very few puzzles compared to some of the other games in the series. The ones we have here are pretty straightforward and not difficult to figure out. In fact, one of them can be skipped on replay if you remember that piece of information you get upon completing that puzzle.

Like I said, there doesn't need to be a lot of puzzles and they don't need to be complicated. But they should add character to the game in some way. The ones we have here aren't bad by any means, but on the whole, they don't do a whole lot for this game, hence the single star.

Graphics: «« ½
    This category's difficult to talk about because for 1998, these designs and animations are rather impressive. By 2016 standards though, they don't hold up quite as well.

Let's start with the character designs, because I think that's one of the more...unique features of this game. This is the only game in the series to have two-dimensional characters (in terms of their design, of course, not their personalities ), so it can be pretty jarring if you're like me and you played through several other ND games, and then you finally get your hands on this one and you see these characters for the first time.

Regardless, even if the different animation style is a bit difficult to accept at first, it's not like the characters look bad. They have good designs that fit their personalities, and their animations are actually pretty smooth. Like, smoother than the animations in the first 15 games. I'm not even kidding, look at these characters again when you're talking to them. Their hand gestures and facial expressions all flow so smoothly! Right when they stop talking it can be kind of awkward, but when they ARE talking, it's amazing what the animations can do.

The setting graphics -- that is, the designs and animation of the various locations in the game -- are pretty good. Some things can look slightly "grainy" at times (like the booths and jukebox at Maxine's), but I think that's just because this is late 1990s technology. Aside from this tiny detail, everything looks good. I love the colors at Maxine's; the blue-green walls, the black-and-white tiled floor, the neon colors of the jukebox, and the bright red of the benches are just perfect. The coloring in the school and Aunt Eloise's house is also very good, but at Maxine's, it just shines.

If I had to make one complaint, I'd say that the designs of the buildings from the outside vary. The outside view of Eloise's house and Maxine's look fine, but the school and the pharmacy look a bit cartoony compared to them. This doesn't bother me very much but it might be worth mentioning. On the whole though, the graphics in this game are relatively good. Again, some things make it difficult to hold up for 2016, but if you can find these older graphics to be charming, I don't think it matters if they compare to today's technology or not. I give the graphics a two and a half, because while some may seem them as good (if not great), the outdated technology could still be a problem for others.

Soundtrack: «««
    Some of you might not think the background music is super important to a game, but just like puzzles, they add a certain layer of character to the game. Their most important function is to help convey the tone that a certain place or scene should have, whether it be happy, dangerous, or mysterious. It also helps if the music fits the setting and locations of the game. In fact, the soundtrack is pretty much every component of the game's setting I mentioned earlier, summarized in musical form. How cool is that?

The Secrets Can Kill soundtrack is pretty good. These first three games have a certain song play at a certain place or time in the game, and I think that's neat; it really adds some character to the places we visit and the scenes we encounter. And they manage to make it so that it doesn't feel like the music isn't too repetitive. I don't know how, but that is impressive. And, of course, this music does an excellent job of giving off the kind of feeling we should have at these locations. There is upbeat music at Maxine's but mysterious piano music in the school hallways. This soundtrack is just great, especially for only the first game.

*Bonus Discussion!* The jukebox at Maxine's plays a variety of songs, a number of which actually come from the Vampire Diaries game that HeR produced a few years before SCK. These songs simply enhance the game and don't hinder the overall soundtrack in any way for me. In fact, they add even more character! (I bet you didn't expect me to say that. ) Those songs make me think, "Wow, this music makes me imagine of when HeR was still young, and to think I get a chance to hear these songs from their first games. That's pretty special." :)

Ending: «
    The ending considers not only the actual climax, but also the build-up to that climax, the choice of culprit, and the game's resolution (which is usually conveyed through a closing letter). And don't worry, this section is spoiler-free.

I think the build-up was pretty good. The culprit realization always gets me excited to see the game through, and the next thing you have to do before the climax makes it feel more exciting. Once you get to the climax, though, it's over before you know it. It's a very short sequence if you know what to do and it feels really underwhelming every time I replay this game.

That brings us to the resolution (the closing letter), and I like the way the story resolves. It also hints at the next ND game in the letter, which I don't think we see too often, so that's cool.

But my other big problem is with the culprit. I obviously can't say too much on this, but this choice almost comes out of nowhere, and then it's like the game just expects you to accept it and go with it. Like, what just happened? What is this?! Wait, wha -- but wait, hold on a second! Game, wait! WAIT!

All in all, I like the build-up and I like the resolution, but the choice of culprit and the climax are both underwhelming.

Other: That Disk Switching
    Yeah, this is something I need to address. This is also the only game in the series to require multiple disks to play. When you go to some places, like the school, you have to take Disk 1 out and put Disk 2 in. And when you leave the school, you have to do the opposite. It can get annoying, especially when you're almost done with the game, but unfortunately that's just how it is. I try to see it as one of the more unique features of the game, but even I'll get annoyed by it on replay.

The Sense of Mystery: Pretty Good
    This is something that is lightly talked about in the plot and story, but for some games it just needs to be explicitly stated how much it feels like there's a mystery. Do you just know there's a mystery because the game's music, plot and setting suggest it, or are you forced into believing there's a mystery? Are there common qualities of a mystery present, like snooping or exploring? If not, what other qualities add to the game and make it feel like something's up?

For SCK, this category isn't really needed because it's pretty obvious there's a mystery. The opening letter does a great job of conveying this. But you can't just rely on the opening letter; the rest of the game should establish a feel of mystery to it, and it does. The characters all have secrets, the locations all have something to find and somewhere to explore (well, maybe except for the pharmacy, but that's beside the point), and the music sets the tone perfectly. Really, the only reason I included this category here was to just reinforce that the game does a good job of establishing this sense. While there isn't a lot of hardcore snooping, there's plenty of exploring and finding clues, and that's perfect. :D

The Game's Overall Persona: One of a Kind
    This category is admittedly more subjective, but it's something I never talked about in my reviews, nor do I see it explicitly talked about very often in other reviews. Here's where I talk about what this game feels like to me and what it feels like compared to other games in the series.

To me, SCK definitely feels like a one-of-a-kind game. No other game has this kind of charm to it, and as I talked about a bit in the Soundtrack section, it makes me imagine of when HeR was just starting out. This game just feels special, being the first one, and I like to think that it captures the spirit of the company. Whenever I go to the school and I hear that signature piano song, I think "This is some classic Nancy Drew stuff right here." When I'm at Maxine's and I hear the classic Vampire Diaries music, I REALLY think of classic HeR. This game just has a personality all on its own. So what if it isn't the best in the series, it brings a special feeling in and of itself, something which I truly think no other game has managed to do yet. At least, not of this caliber.

Overall Score
    This is where I take the above categories and determine the game's final score out of five stars. This takes into consideration the star categories from before, but I also use the last three non-star categories to adjust that score to what I feel is fair. :)

So, let's see what Secrets Can Kill gets:
    Final Score: ««¾ = 2.75 out of 5 = Pretty Good!

While Secrets Can Kill could be stronger in many respects, the things it does well at, it does very well at. And I can't emphasize enough how special this game feels alongside the other ND games. It's certainly a classic game and a classic mystery, and it's great seeing it receive attention on these boards, especially in more recent years. :D

Thank you so much for reading the review! Feel free to comment, as comments are always welcome.

......Next Review: Stay Tuned for Danger
    Last edited by disneygirl12; January 9th, 2016, 04:46 PM. Reason: Added clarification, fixed grammar mistake, and linked to next review :D
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

This is a great review! So detailed and in depth, but you didn't give anything away either. I completely agree with pretty much all of what you said. SCK definitely holds a special place in my heart (even though the graphics were so cheesy) but I always loved how it was a good old fashioned murder case. I know for me personally, I always seem to compare newer games to this game Anyways, great review! Can't wait to read more of yours!

--E.

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryhelp279 View Post
      This is a great review! So detailed and in depth, but you didn't give anything away either. I completely agree with pretty much all of what you said. SCK definitely holds a special place in my heart (even though the graphics were so cheesy) but I always loved how it was a good old fashioned murder case. I know for me personally, I always seem to compare newer games to this game Anyways, great review! Can't wait to read more of yours!

--E.
      Thank you so much! I'm glad to see that we had some common thoughts on this game. :D Yeah, the graphics may not be the best, but there's definitely something about it that really speaks to me. It has a special place for me, too. :) And of course, it's a classic mystery! It's understandable that you'd compare it to some of the others because SCK really does stand out.

Thanks again for commenting! :D

Comment

Phenomenal review disneygirl12! Thanks for putting it together. I look forward to reading your future detailed reviews. Furthermore, I appreciate your work at being objective, not easy to do when you have personal favorites in the Nancy Drew adventure series. It's easy to become biased.

Originally posted by disneygirl12 View Post
        Just from Nancy's opening letter, you can easily get pulled into this mystery. It's engaging and also implies that you will have to face danger and suspicion. With such an intense plot, SCK stands out among other games in the series. I don't much else to say on this because I feel that it speaks for itself.

Couldn't agree more. Although this game may feel a bit mechanical, it's the first game. It's a classic first mystery and I love its interconnectedness between plot, characters, and the environment- something that is lacking in some more modern Nancy Drew adventures. From the opening you have an immediate sense of intrigue and danger. There never is a question regarding what the mystery is. There's been a murder and it's up to you as Nancy Drew to figure it out.

It also feels warm and promising in the house, which is supposed to contrast with the more mysterious, even eerie feeling inside the school, which it does well.

I never really though about this, but the environment does have an air of reality. Contrasts between the mystery and safe haven. Similarly in Stay Tuned for Danger you have the mystery on the set vs. an open area for exploration in Mattie Jensen's home. These contrasts helped strengthen Nancy Drew's environment and do indeed provided an appreciable charm to some of these earlier titles.

Overall, I like this cast of characters. They're diverse and have interesting personalities, and it's neat seeing what they think of one another. In addition, they all have a secret to protect, and the game emphasizes this a lot. You definitely feel like they're hiding something, and as the story progresses, your suspicions of each one may change. Overall, I think these characters are not only interesting and fun to talk to, but they perfectly fit into this game in terms of their relations to each other and to the victim, Jake.

You hit on a key component here where the characters are all related to one another. They all have a different relation to the story at hand and respond to your interactions with other characters. It's important that characters evolve with the story rather than just narrate it.

The way I see it, puzzles should move the story along and add a special layer of character to the game. The strongest puzzles relate to the setting and the story, and there are some ND games that master this. There doesn't need to be a LOT of puzzles, nor do they need to be super complicated, in order for this to happen. There just needs to be a balance.

Exactly. All of the puzzles in this mystery are simple and relate to the story. I really like your use of the word "layer." In-game puzzles should not be complicated mini-games that have little bearing on the story at hand. Rather they can be simple interactions that dynamically influence both the mystery and Nancy's interactions with characters.

Graphics: «« ½
        This category's difficult to talk about because for 1998, these designs and animations are rather impressive. By 2016 standards though, they don't hold up quite as well.

Let's start with the character designs, because I think that's one of the more...unique features of this game. This is the only game in the series to have two-dimensional characters (in terms of their design, of course, not their personalities ), so it can be pretty jarring if you're like me and you played through several other ND games, and then you finally get your hands on this one and you see these characters for the first time.

Regardless, even if the different animation style is a bit difficult to accept at first, it's not like the characters look bad. They have good designs that fit their personalities, and their animations are actually pretty smooth. Like, smoother than the animations in the first 15 games. I'm not even kidding, look at these characters again when you're talking to them. Their hand gestures and facial expressions all flow so smoothly! Right when they stop talking it can be kind of awkward, but when they ARE talking, it's amazing what the animations can do.
        Once again, a great insight. People often complain about the 2D nature of these characters. However, I'm amazed by their fluid motions and expression. They move a lot! I actually prefer some of these dated graphics over the stiff characters we have in modern Nancy Drew adventures.

To me, SCK definitely feels like a one-of-a-kind game. No other game has this kind of charm to it, and as I talked about a bit in the Soundtrack section, it makes me imagine of when HeR was just starting out. This game just feels special, being the first one, and I like to think that it captures the spirit of the company. Whenever I go to the school and I hear that signature piano song, I think "This is some classic Nancy Drew stuff right here." When I'm at Maxine's and I hear the classic Vampire Diaries music, I REALLY think of classic HeR. This game just has a personality all on its own. So what if it isn't the best in the series, it brings a special feeling in and of itself, something which I truly think no other game has managed to do yet. At least, not of this caliber.
        You said it all with the word "charm." Sure this game has its quirks, but it has a certain daring passion and character behind it which really makes it stand out from other games. These earlier games are not without their faults, but they had a special feeling that isn't conveyed as well in modern titles.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers, and happy sleuthing!
        Last edited by whitewolf93; January 5th, 2016, 10:15 AM.
        All 32 Cases Closed:
        SCK('98) SCK ('10) STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH DOG CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW CAP ASH TMB DED GTH SPY MED LIE SEA
        ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒʍy ʍeticulous ℛeviews▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ
        LCC RED ₒₒ▫ᵒ TCC

Case In Progress:
        CAP

Check out a book from:
        -▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫´¯`·×-»[иaиcy ∂яεω's lيbяaяy (ℛeʍastered)]--->

"It's Locked" ~ the most frustrating phrase Nancy Drew could ever say!

Comment

Originally posted by whitewolf93 View Post
          Phenomenal review disneygirl12! Thanks for putting it together. I look forward to reading your future detailed reviews. Aw, thanks so much! That means a lot to me. Furthermore, I appreciate your work at being objective, not easy to do when you have personal favorites in the Nancy Drew adventure series. It's easy to become biased. Thanks again! :D

Couldn't agree more. Although this game may feel a bit mechanical, it's the first game. It's a classic first mystery and I love its interconnectedness between plot, characters, and the environment- something that is lacking in some more modern Nancy Drew adventures. I completely agree. From the opening you have an immediate sense of intrigue and danger. There never is a question regarding what the mystery is. There's been a murder and it's up to you as Nancy Drew to figure it out. Yep! SCK handles the mystery pretty seamlessly.

I never really though about this, but the environment does have an air of reality. Contrasts between the mystery and safe haven. Safe haven! That's the word I was looking for! :D Similarly in Stay Tuned for Danger you have the mystery on the set vs. an open area for exploration in Mattie Jensen's home. You're right! I've been thinking about that too. These contrasts helped strengthen Nancy Drew's environment and do indeed provided an appreciable charm to some of these earlier titles. Agreed. :)

You hit on a key component here where the characters are all related to one another. They all have a different relation to the story at hand and respond to your interactions with other characters. It's important that characters evolve with the story rather than just narrate it. I like that part about evolving with the story vs. narrating it. That's a perfect description. :D

Exactly. All of the puzzles in this mystery are simple and relate to the story. I really like your use of the word "layer." In-game puzzles should not be complicated mini-games that have little bearing on the story at hand. Rather they can be simple interactions that dynamically influence both the mystery and Nancy's interactions with characters. Ooh, I hadn't thought about puzzles affecting interactions with characters. I'm going to have to consider that from now on because that's a great point!

Once again, a great insight. People often complain about the 2D nature of these characters. However, I'm amazed by their fluid motions and expression. They move a lot! I actually prefer some of these dated graphics over the stiff characters we have in modern Nancy Drew adventures. Yeah, some newer animations aren't as smooth as the ones here. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so :D

You said it all with the word "charm." Sure this game has its quirks, but it has a certain daring passion and character behind it which really makes it stand out from other games. These earlier games are not without their faults, but they had a special feeling that isn't conveyed as well in modern titles. I love the way you worded this. I agree 100%. :D

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers, and happy sleuthing!
          Thanks so much for your comment! I really loved some of the things you said and I'm glad to see we agreed on so many things. :D

Comment

Nice Review! The difficultly with reviewing older games is people tend to be a bit biased and make criticisms of things that wouldn't have been as much of a negative when the game was released. Saying that I think your review was pretty fair and nice to see something really in depth. Look forward to seeing more reviews!

Comment

Originally posted by DPL_93 View Post
              Nice Review! The difficultly with reviewing older games is people tend to be a bit biased and make criticisms of things that wouldn't have been as much of a negative when the game was released. Saying that I think your review was pretty fair and nice to see something really in depth. Look forward to seeing more reviews!
              Thank you for your reply! I agree, that is one of the challenges with talking about older games, especially when considering how much the games have evolved since then. I'm glad you thought the review was fair, and I hope to keep working on making my future reviews fair as well. :D Thanks again for commenting! I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
              X