A Long-Time Fan's 2018 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Long-Time Fan's 2018 Review

So, I recently tapped back into all things HER Interactive, and I read the message to the fans announcing that we will (hopefully, finally) have a release date for MID during Spring 2019. Once I heard that, I knew it was time to start my 2018/early 19 marathon of games 1-32 and SCK Remastered.

As I play each game, I am going to write an updated review/sharing of my thoughts on the games. I have some older posts (we're talking 2008) where I attempted to review some of the games, but I never quite finished. Now, I have even more time and more games to review, so now's as good a time as any.

Every time I play through this game, it is a walk down memory lane. This wasn't my first ever Nancy Drew game - that was actually MHM. But I remember getting a 2 pack of Secrets Can Kill and Stay Tuned for Danger for Christmas when I was probably in 2nd or 3rd grade. I played Secrets Can Kill with my babysitter, and we had a blast laughing at silly things like Popsi or Hulk's classic line, "I'm not into pushy girls - do me a favor, bother someone else!"

The 2D integration into the 3D setting never bothered me, but I can see how it irritates some. I was too busy focusing on how awesome the settings were in general. I had just graduated from Jumpstart, so this was a completely new concept for me.

The story in this game is, like many people have said, much darker than the subsequent installments. Dealing with a murder was morbidly fascinating as an 8-year-old, and the stakes seemed so high. The murder was slightly overshadowed, however, by Jake's dastardly ways prior to his death, which made it difficult to empathize with the characters.

Insight from 2018: All I could think of while I was playing was, "Wow.. there is a lot of cultural insensitivity in this game!" Every stereotype imaginable: from Hulk being the 'roid-taking meathead, Hal being the over-worked international student with an "Americanized" name, Darryl the son of the politician and ladies' man and Nancy the quiet, new girl in school. I don't personally have a problem with stereotypes in video games like this because it leaves less room for gray area; however, HER Interactive has done a much better job adding layers of humanity even to their villains in the games that come after this one.

The worst part of this game? Switching disks back and forth! It's such a pain. When I am marathoning the games and timing to see how quickly I can finish the game, the disk switching gets really old. I'm glad this was something they addressed quickly that didn't affect the games that came after.
    Last edited by bella.cullen19; September 17th, 2018, 08:29 AM. Reason: Correct Typo
    Closed Cases:
    SCK|STFD|MHM|TRT|FIN|SSH|DOG|CAR|DDI|SHA|CUR|CLK|
    TRN|DAN|CRE|ICE|CRY|VEN|HAU|RAN|WAC|TOT|SCK2|SAW|CAP|ASH|
    TMB
    |DED|GTH
Working...
X