• Show
Clear All

• What I *Really* Thought: SCK Edition

..................................MyCatTilly Presents,
    What I Really Thought:

SecretsCanKill.

Edition

Plot

Aunt Eloise has invited Nancy to her home in Florida to investigate a murder at the high school where she works. A student was found dead, and it seems as though everyone is hiding something. It’s up to you as Nancy Drew to crack the case.

The plot is pretty simple although it does get a little deeper as the game progresses. Even so, it’s more than a little all over the place. It just doesn’t seem like as much thought was put in to it, compared to some of the newer games.

the plot gets 3/10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Graphics

Ok, so the game is old and it’s irrelevant to even critique the graphics…but I’m going to do it anyway The characters are 2D, as you probably know, and it takes a little getting used to if your more familiar with the later games. It’s strange but it didn’t bother me as much as thought it would.

As far as the backgrounds go, they’re not too bad. Certainly not up to the standard that the current games are at but they don’t distract from the game.

I’ll skip the rating for the graphics, because wading in irrelevancy is bad for my complexion.

Setting

You can start out exploring Aunt Eloise’s house, the high school, a local diner, and a pharmaceutical company. It’s kind of an odd mix but the real problem is that there wasn't a whole lot of purpose for some of the areas.

2/10

Puzzles/Activities

I can really only think of one or two true “puzzles” in SCK, and they're pretty typical of the Nancy Drew series. On the plus side, there is quite a bit of snooping.

Unlike any of the other games, there are hidden riddles and coded messages all over the place that are not needed to solve the case or complete the game. Personally, I don’t care for the messages because they give really big spoilers (including how to solve problems and the culprit's name!) and there isn’t any logical reason for them to be there. On the other hand, they are fun to try to solve -- I just wouldn’t recommend that you do them the first time you play because it might ruin parts of the game for you.

4.5/10

Characters

The characters are all bland, but they do have personalities and back stories, so that’s always a plus. The best thing about them is that you uncover some pretty dark secrets and motives for them as the game goes on.

But one of the funniest things is Nancy! Pretty much everything she says is just rephrasing what the person she's talking to just said, only in question form. I becomes quite comical

I’ll give them 4/10

Ending *Spoiler Free*

Don’t blink or you’ll miss the ending. It’s very short and a little hard to follow, but the biggest problem is that it doesn’t require much thinking.

I give it 1.5/10

Overall

I’m really not a fan of SCK, but I would recommend it to any hardcore ND fan. Personally though, if this was the first game in the series that I played, I doubt that I would’ve tried any of the others.

Just so you know, the game is based off of one of the Nancy Drew Files books, and HER was aiming at a different demographic at that point, so it’s a little “edgier” than the other games. It involves murder, a weapon, and some mild drug references. Just keep that in mind if you think those might be an issue for you.

Overall score: 3/10
    Creepiness (10 equals terrifying): 2/10
    Difficulty (10 equals hair pulling): 3/10

"Should I buy this game?"

There isn't a single ND game that I wouldn't recommend. If you end up not enjoying this game, don't let that stop you from trying others in the series. There is a ton of variety.

Happy Gaming!
    MyCatTilly
    Last edited by MyCatTilly; November 10, 2009, 09:22 PM. Reason: clarifying
    aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
    SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
    TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
    LCC RED

I again agree with everything you said!! Reps!!
    can you dig it?
    ...............................................<3 volleyball

Comment

Great point about never playing this one first if you're new to Nancy.

The first I played was Message in a Haunted Mansion (by far one of the best), and then played this one. It constantly locked up, I had issues switching disks.
      I've only beat it once. It however, does run on my Vista computer just fine. Weird.
      Solved:
      Secrets Can Kill
      Stay Tuned for Danger
      Message in a Haunted Mansion
      Treasure in The Royal Tower
      The Final Scene
      Secret of the Scarlet Hand
      Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
      The Haunted Carousel
      Danger on Deception Island
      The Secret of Shadow Ranch
      The Curse of Blackmoor Manor
      The Secret of the Old Clock
      Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
      Danger by Design
      The Creature of Kapu Cave
      The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
      The Legend of the Crystal Skull
      The Phantom of Venice
      The Haunting of Castle Malloy
      Ransom of the Seven Ships
      Warnings at Waverly Academy
      Trail of the Twister
      Secrets Can Kill Remastered
      Shadow at the Water's Edge

Comment

Great review! I totally agree! Reps!!
        ~Pancake206
        ¸.·´¯)I think she's having hysterics...
        ...·´Maybe you should slap her.
        ..............-Alice Cullen
        Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is here!!!
        Solved...
        |STFD|MHM|TRT|FIN|SSH|DOG|CAR|DDI|SHA||CUR|TRN|CRY |RAN|WAC|
        Currently solving|SSH|
        Can't wait for|TOT|
        ©G.F.BFF
        Click on the cat to go to my signature shop!

Comment

I've heard this one is pretty dark compared to the others and has some gross images and can get pretty creepy. Sounds like it's not worth it.
          Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

Gross images? Maybe its because I'm not sensitive to that sort of thing, but I wouldn't go that far. It's darker than the newer games (SCK is a murder mystery after all) but it certainly doesn't contain any blood, gore, or anything else that comes to mind when hearing the word "gross"
            MyCatTilly
            Last edited by MyCatTilly; November 10, 2009, 09:24 PM.
            aka SnappyBlueRoadster

What I *Really* Thought Reviews
            SCK STFD MHM TRT FIN SSH GDML CAR DDI SHA CUR CLK
            TRN DAN CRE ICE CRY VEN HAU RAN WAC TOT SAW
            LCC RED

Comment

That's comforting. And good to know. Thanks.
              Just solved my first dossier! Summer break and I'm on an ND roll :)

Comment

Working...
              X