Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets can Kill Games: A Cake Review

My Introduction
    Hi everyone! I'm disneygirl12 and welcome to my 10th cake review! I hope you enjoy!
    I really wanted to like this game. I truly did. It was intended to be a remake of the original. I thought that HeR would be adding things, like the checklist, puzzles, but no, they more or less just removed the great aspects of the original. There are...well, I guess I should just save that for my review, which is coming up. That's what I meant by my title for this review: secrets can kill games that used to be great, but now are...not so great.
    In case you don't know the plot of the original, it hasn't changed much. Jake Rogers, a student at Paseo del mar High in Florida, was killed a week ago. Who would have the nerve to commit such a crime, and why?

Fruitcakes (cons)
    The addition of the new character, Detective Beech, just threw off the storyline. What I mean by that is, this game had new ideas that were not in the original, so if you played the original before this, you would be wondering, "Hey, I don't remember that part of the game..."
    There are much fewer puzzles in this game. Honestly, I can only remember three! In the original, there was already a small amount, but this version had even fewer.
    The ending...was terrible. The culprit was very predictable, and their motive was weak and forgettable, and I solved the game just this morning. Main questions in the game were answered, but important things, such as the motive, were swept away.
    Catching the culprit at the end was so aggravating! I mean seriously, there was no action. While there was a mild amount of thrill, I was still bored finding a way to end the game.
    This game was incredibly short. With a lack of puzzles and many optional scenes, you can't call this a story, because there was no "middle."
    There was a very tiny amount of character interaction. In my opinion, there was less interaction than in The Haunting of Castle Malloy, my all-time least favorite ND game. I would have liked to get to know the characters more. This was a problem in the original as well, but there was even less in Remastered.
    While the songs are the same as in the original's, which were good songs, they were EXTREMELY repetitive! I heard the same song over and over and over, it got so annoying!

Good Cakes (pros)
    The graphics are much better in this game. My main point-of-interest would be the characters; a lot has improved. Yet, while they are CGI, they still have a cartoony appearance, only 3D.
    Just as in the original, the characters are diverse and unique. :)

To sum up, the Remastered version of Secrets Can Kill did not meet up to expectations. Like I said, I expected added features, not removed ones. I don't even know why it's called the Remastered version if it wasn't even mastered. Plus, not much was added. It makes me upset to think I prefer the original over the Remastered edition, but the classic was discontinued.
    With a lack of puzzles, character interaction, storyline, and a good motive for the culprit, SCK2 is my least-favorite game in the ND series. I will definitely go back and replay it, but only because technicality wise, it runs better than the original. I wish there were greater things to talk about this game. Sadly, my rating is a 1 out of 5 stars. So many things didn't need to be erased from the first game. That's the end of the review! I hope you have better gaming experience than I do. Feel free to comment; they're always welcome!

= Miserable!
    Read my last review, on The Haunted Carousel.
    Read my next review, on The Curse of Blackmoor Manor.
    Read my review on the original Secrets Can Kill.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Next Game: Stay Tuned for Danger
    Last edited by disneygirl12; February 5th, 2015, 07:38 PM. Reason: Updates
    .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
    ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
    ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
    ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Haha, happy 10th review! Lots of fruitcakes in this one! I agree, Beech totally threw off the whole plot. Reps!

--Erin
    " I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them.
    But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from,
    we can still choose where we go from there. "
    Erin
    GTH Review
    Sig Shop

Comment

Aw, thanks! I just realized that I should have had a positive 10th review, not a negative one. Hehe...
      .........I think Earth is a pretty great place.....¸.·°¨¯¨°·¸
      ...........That's saying something....¸.·`.......`·-·`
      ...¸·°¨¯¨°·.¸ 'cause I've been through outer space!
      ...`·-·`.......` · . , ¸ _ ¸ , . · `(_¸ , . · `

Hope everyone's having a great summer!

Comment

Originally posted by disneygirl12 View Post
        My Introduction
        Hi everyone! I'm disneygirl12 and welcome to my 10th cake review! I hope you enjoy!
        I really wanted to like this game. I truly did. It was intended to be a remake of the original. I thought that HeR would be adding things, like the checklist, puzzles, but no, they more or less just removed the great aspects of the original. There are...well, I guess I should just save that for my review, which is coming up. That's what I meant by my title for this review: secrets can kill games that used to be great, but now are...not so great.
        In case you don't know the plot of the original, it hasn't changed much. Jake Rogers, a student at Paseo del mar High in Florida, was killed a week ago. Who would have the nerve to commit such a crime, and why?

Fruitcakes (cons)
        The addition of the new character, Detective Beech, just threw off the storyline. What I mean by that is, this game had new ideas that were not in the original, so if you played the original before this, you would be wondering, "Hey, I don't remember that part of the game..."
        There are much fewer puzzles in this game. Honestly, I can only remember three! In the original, there was already a small amount, but this version had even fewer.
        The ending...was terrible. The culprit was very predictable, and their motive was weak and forgettable, and I solved the game just this morning. Main questions in the game were answered, but important things, such as the motive, were swept away.
        Catching the culprit at the end was so aggravating! I mean seriously, there was no action. While there was a mild amount of thrill, I was still bored finding a way to end the game.
        This game was incredibly short. With a lack of puzzles and many optional scenes, you can't call this a story, because there was no "middle."
        There was a very tiny amount of character interaction. In my opinion, there was less interaction than in The Haunting of Castle Malloy, my all-time least favorite ND game. I would have liked to get to know the characters more. This was a problem in the original as well, but there was even less in Remastered.
        While the songs are the same as in the original's, which were good songs, they were EXTREMELY repetitive! I heard the same song over and over and over, it got so annoying!

Good Cakes (pros)
        The graphics are much better in this game. My main point-of-interest would be the characters; a lot has improved. Yet, while they are CGI, they still have a cartoony appearance, only 3D.
        Just as in the original, the characters are diverse and unique. :)

To sum up, the Remastered version of Secrets Can Kill did not meet up to expectations. Like I said, I expected added features, not removed ones. I don't even know why it's called the Remastered version if it wasn't even mastered. Plus, not much was added. It makes me upset to think I prefer the original over the Remastered edition, but the classic was discontinued.
        With a lack of puzzles, character interaction, storyline, and a good motive for the culprit, SCK2 is my least-favorite game in the ND series. I will definitely go back and replay it, but only because technicality wise, it runs better than the original. I wish there were greater things to talk about this game. Sadly, my rating is a 1 out of 5 stars. So many things didn't need to be erased from the first game. That's the end of the review! I hope you have better gaming experience than I do. Feel free to comment; they're always welcome!

= Miserable!
        Read my last review, on The Haunted Carousel.
        Read my next review, on The Curse of Blackmoor Manor.
        Read my review on the original Secrets Can Kill.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Next Game: Stay Tuned for Danger

I wonder why they never showed Aunt Eloise in the Remastered version it would have been interesting to see what she look like.

Comment

Great review!! I agree that HER dropped the ball on this one. They could have done so much more, and Beech was definitely the nail in the coffin for this game. I also feel like this would have benefited from more character interaction - there's nothing worse than trying to talk to a bunch of characters who have nothing to say most of the time. And I agree that the culprit and the catching of the culprit is so bad that it's comical. All in all, I agree with your rating as I really would have liked to see more this time around!

Comment

Working...
          X