How HeR Needs to Make Every Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How HeR Needs to Make Every Game

I will be breaking this down, bit by bit.

PLOT: I've wanted to pick up this mystery for ages. I was slightly turned off by how mediocre GTH turned out to be, but it seemed like now was a good time to try it out. The plot was rich with the history of the traditional Japanese inn, and I enjoyed doing little tasks with one of the characters to learn more about Japanese traditional arts. The haunting was most definitely scary, the explanation was reasonable, and the inn was very peaceful... when there wasn't a ghost trying to kill me. Score: 10/10

GRAPHICS/SOUND: This game was played by me, unfortunately, between The Deadly Device and Labyrinth of Lies, and I was planning on marking it down on the graphics compared to the newer games. However, I'll keep this a near-perfect score because the soundtrack was a perfect blend of traditional Japanese instruments and spooky sounds. SCORE: 9/10

CHARACTERS: In this ND mystery, there are 4 characters (other than your phone friends). They are Yumi Shimizu, the first-born sister who doesn't want anything to do with the ryokan, Miwako Shimizu, the younger sister who basically runs the ryokan by herself, Rentaro Aihara, Miwako's boyfriend who is treated like family (both in a positive and a negative light), and Takae Nagai, grandmother of Yumi and Miwako. Bess and George (staying in the city for an expo) and Savannah Woodham (a former ghosthunter) are your phone friends (along with her assistant, Logan Mitchell). My views of all the suspects were constantly changing depending on new information that was found, which shows me that they were built as complex, real human beings (with lives that really sort of stink). However, this section gets a perfect score because Logan exists. His... relationship issues provided a good smile here and there right in the middle of a intense and grim game. I want him to meet Nancy in person at some point in the future. SCORE: 10/10

INTERFACE: I found that the interface was very good in this game. On Junior mode the checklist went mostly in order, my phone was used to its full extent, and everyone was easily accessible. Everything seemed to have a purpose, just not always obviously so. SCORE: 10/10

PUZZLES: The puzzles in this game were 90% awesomeness. I enjoyed playing pachinko and buying items both useful and not. As a fan of sudoku I was glad I got to put my skills to use, but I was very, VERY annoyed to find a large version of a time-consuming puzzle that needed to be done to continue with the game. I spent over an hour on this one puzzle, and that wasn't okay in my book. I was glad that on multiple occasions, however, time limits were set. SCORE: 9/10

ENDING: The last 15-20 minutes or so of the game had me on the edge of my seat. Some sudden happenings really increased the drama and gave me a puzzle with a distinct time limit (as mentioned in my DED review, I like time limits as they add adrenaline rushes, even if they aren't super challenging). I felt that while the culprit was perhaps the most predictable in a Nancy Drew game yet, the reasoning was not flawed, and unlike GTH, the explanations behind the haunting made complete sense. SCORE: 9/10

Plot: 10/10
    Graphics/Sounds: 9/10
    Characters: 10/10
    Interface: 10/10
    Puzzles: 9/10
    Ending: 9/10
    OVERALL: 57/60= 9.5/10

My Top Five:
    Shadow at the Water's Edge: 9.5/10
    The Captive Curse: 9.3/10
    Treasure in the Royal Tower: 9.2/10
    White Wolf of Icicle Creek: 9/10