Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shadow at the Waters Edge- A Spendid Scare!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow at the Waters Edge- A Spendid Scare!

Hello all! I see many of you are eager to play and read a review so I have decided to write one to help you ease the pain.

Plot/Characters: The plot was rather intriguing and unfolded nicely as the story progressed. It was very mysterious throughout and it you wanted to just keep going as there were no "uhm, what do I do now?" moments. I really liked this plot and liked the spooky aspect of it along with the story progression. It didnt go slow and drag on forever nor did it go by really fast. You got to learn information piece by piece and always wanted more.
    The Characters, IMO, developed very well. In the beginning they were like regular people you just meet, not very open etc etc. But as the game progressed they opened up and you start feeling a connection with them. I felt this was very important because it made the game all the more real. It was a step by step process for their trust and friendship not right off the bat. Character interaction was pretty good. You talked to them when needed and they were very good conversations.
    10/10

Puzzles: HeR has listened to us! The puzzles in this game contain all levels of difficulty at correct times. Like, when an important piece of information is about to be uncovered, it would be a difficult puzzle but if its a minor detail in the game they dont throw a huge complicated puzzle at you. These puzzles are at the most very original and most were fun. You didnt feel like they were just thrown in there. They all had a purpose.*EDIT: There were alot of puzzles, but meaningful.
    9.8/10

Music/Graphics: HeR never fails to deliver in these two categories. To sum it up all I can say is: WOW! You thought the graphics in the demo were good? You havent played the game! They were so rich and vivid and you felt like you were really in Japan. The Music was perfect, it added to each moment in the game and was very accurate. The music was dramatic when necessary and calm and serene the other times. It made everything all the more real and it still had a japanese vibe from it.

10/10

Snooping/Scary Factor: TUNTUNTUN!
    what you have all been waiting for! Lets start with the snooping. I felt this game had a significant amount of snooping when necessary. It's not like this game is ALL snooping but you will do some here and there.
    Scary Factor... wow. This game surely exceeded the expectations! There were so many scary moments that I was on my toes throughout the whole game. Each moment was scarier then the last and I barely slept last night! I definitely find this game scarier then CUR and this game is just straight up spooky! I have goosebumps just thinking about it! The scariness was definitely fun and you had no idea when to expect it.

Spoiler free ending: The ending kept you on your toes and the culprit caught me off guard. All I'm saying is, to keep everyone as a suspect. This is one of my favorite endings! It took some logic and critical skills, very fun! You felt really accomplished at the end!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I give this game a 10/10 and is currently my #1 favorite Nancy Drew. As for the length, it was perfect! It wasnt too short nor too long. It was about the same length as CUR IMO and lasted me over a day. EDIT* 14 hours not including breaks :) There were many secrets to be unveiled! It is very engaging and you just wont want to stop! HeR really has listened and I cannot wait until everyone else plays it too!

Last edited by BeautifulInRain; October 9, 2010, 10:16 AM.
    Annalie
    SCK ? STFD ? MHM ? TRT ? FIN ? SSH ? DOG ? CAR ? DDI ?
    SHA ? CUR ? CLK ? TRN ? DAN ? CRE ? ICE ? CRY ? SAW ?

Thanks for the review!
    I know that Secrets Can Kill.
    I have read the Message in the Haunted Mansion.
    I have found the Treasure in the Royal Tower.
    I have seen the Final Scene.
    I know the Secret of the Scarlet Hand.
    I have seen the Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake.
    I have ridden the Haunted Carousel.
    I know the Danger on Deception Island.
    I know the Secret of Shadow Ranch.
    I know the Curse of Blackmoor Manor.
    I know the Secret of the Old Clock.
    I have ridden the Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon.
    I know the Danger by Design.
    I have seen the Creature of Kapu Cave.
    I have seen the White Wolf of Icicle Creek.
    I know the Legend of the Crystal Skull.
    I have unmasked the Phantom of Venice.
    I have read the Warnings at Waverly Academy.
    I have followed the Trail of the Twister.
    I know that Secrets Can still Kill.
    I have seen the Shadow at Water's Edge!

Comment

Fantastic review! I've been on my toes waiting to hear people's reactions! Yes! I'm so thrilled that you like the game and makes me want to play the game-- sadly I have to wait for it to come into stores :/

I can see you took a great deal of effort to put this together, and being the first one, it is great! I just have a question if that's all right :) How many puzzles would you say there were? A lot, medium, less?

Thank you so much, BeautifulInRain, for releasing the first review! I read through it with excitement and I'm so happy to see how much you liked the game! I can't wait to play!

Awesome job!
      `;',.><

THE STORY OF HEROES AND THIEVES
      my next ae, coming soon

Comment

Amazing review! Great job! Reps! Now I can't wait to play.

Ella <3
        ▌▄ ……originality
        .¸·*¨¯¨*·¸…… ¸.·*´¨¯¨`*·.…… ¸·*¨¯¨*·¸
        (
        …_*·-·´¸.·´………… `·.¸.·´…_*·-·´
        .`×.,¸_¸,.×´……IS A.×´ ) █
        ▀▄▄▌……_'·-·´……by-product
        …………………………OF………………▄▀▀▀SiNCERITY

Comment

This is a wonderful review! I'm so excited now! You're the first one to write a review!!!! I'm glad that HeR has listened to us about the puzzles too. This was excellent, thorough with the perfect amount of details. I can't wait to play!

-Rachel
          ........ ,•*¨¯¨*•.¸ .. Cause mirrors can’t see your heart
          ........ ',¸¸,• ..... `•.,¸_¸,.>................¸.-•-.¸
          ..<•-.¸ ........................|¯ `•.,¸_¸,.•´ ........)
          .........`•.,¸_¸,.•´¯) .... ¸.-•> ............... <•´
          (_¸.•´ ©L.bulldog & Rise Against

sorry I've been gone so long.
          really miss you all!
          -rachel <3

Comment

Originally posted by James the Snoop View Post
            Fantastic review! I've been on my toes waiting to hear people's reactions! Yes! I'm so thrilled that you like the game and makes me want to play the game-- sadly I have to wait for it to come into stores :/

I can see you took a great deal of effort to put this together, and being the first one, it is great! I just have a question if that's all right :) How many puzzles would you say there were? A lot, medium, less?

Thank you so much, BeautifulInRain, for releasing the first review! I read through it with excitement and I'm so happy to see how much you liked the game! I can't wait to play!

Awesome job!

Thank you all! I was so excited to write this review because of how amazing I found the game to be!
            There were alot of puzzles, but like I said they ranged in difficulty and they werent pointless. But there were alot. Like in CRY :)
            Annalie

Comment

I'm not going to lie, lately, I haven't been too happy with the recent ND games.

Your review, however, gave me hope that the REAL ND is back. <3

Thanks! I got three day shipping, so hopefully I'll be playing soon.

Just one question. How was the ending? No spoilers, please. Was it easy? Did it take some thinking?

Thanks again!
              -Mary Christa
              .M a r y Christa
              -:¦:-....¸×´ ¯ `׸..;...........¸·*¨ ¯ ¯ ¨*·¸
              ..........(.......*·-·'..'•.,¸_¸,.•´.....¸·*¨¯¨*·¸`·¸
              .¸·*¨¯¨*·¸`·¸.............¸.·*¨¯¨*·¸..(.....*·-·'....)
              (......*·-·'...`•.,¸_¸,.¤´......*·-·'...`+.,¸_¸,.+´.........................-:¦:-
              .`×.,¸_¸,.×´¦¸¤*¨¯¨*¤¸.."Imperfection is beauty, madness is g e n i u s
              .......(¯`·¸...'·-·*......))..¸·´¯))and . it's . better . to . be . absolutely
              ........`·¸..`+.,¸_¸,.+´´¸·´.¸·´´¸·*¨¯¨*·¸RiDiCuLoUs than absolutely boring."
              ...........`×.,¸ _ ¸,.×´´...(....'·-·*......)........-:¦:-
              ©P109...--Marilyn Monroe.`¤.,¸_ ¸,.¤´

Comment

Great review! Just curious, how many hours do you think it took you to beat it?

- - Liva <3
                well make sure to build your house
                ......BRiCK BY BORiNG BRiCK
                ..or the wolf's gonna blow it down

Comment

This is a fantastic 5-Star review! I'm really excited now knowing that it is a good length, and that the scare factor is really in this game, including snooping. I can't wait for my game to come! Again, great review! (:

Comment

Great review! I have just one question if you don't mind. You said there was a decent amount of snooping, but would you say it was equal to the amount in WAC and TOT, or more like the first ten games?Just curious. Reps for a great review!

Comment

Wow awesome review! Thanks so much for a great review with no spoilers in it! I was bummed about having to go to work today, but your review got me really excited for the game to come out so now I dont feel as bad I really think the old nancy drew is back

Comment

Wow, amazing review! Thank you so much for posting first. I had been dying to know what the game is like(since I have to wait until it comes out in stores). Quick Question: Was the game a lot scarier than the demo? I found the demo not very scary(besides the music).

Again, amazing review! Reps Given!

-Gigi!

gryf fin dor
                        brave at heart ; daring, nerve, and chivalry ; Gigi

Thanks for the signature, Lostie!

"How well do you know..." Quizzes

CAPSAWTOTWACVENCRYICECRE
                        DAN(New!)

Comment

This game had the snooping levels of the first ten games and was most DEFINITELY scarier then the Demo.

It's one of those things you have to see to believe & when you do youll be like

:D
                          Annalie

Comment

I have a quick question if you don't mind answering it, were there any secret passageways? Was there the snooping where we had to hide and you felt like you were going to be caught?

Comment

Thanks for the review, I have really wanted to know how the game is!

And from your review it sounds fantastic!

I can't wait till mine comes to my doorstep on Tuesday!
                              : Go Chargers!!!

LDS and loving it!

You say goodbye we say he110 class of 2011!!!

4 8 15 16 23 42
                              Never forget LOST

Comment

Working...
                              X