My detailed ShAdOw At ThE wAtEr'S eDgE rEvIeW <3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My detailed ShAdOw At ThE wAtEr'S eDgE rEvIeW <3

Third review ever! I just finished playing about 6 minutes ago and felt compelled to write a review! So let us begin..

Graphics: 10/10
    I must say that the graphics in this game were awesome! Nice and sharp and no strange blurry areas like in another game *coughcoughRANcough*. And there were even some moving effects like a bamboo fountain and signs in the expo which I thought were neat and made the game more believable.

Characters: 10/10
    Characters were amazing this game!
    1) Takae Nagai: Grandmother to Miwako and Yumi, mother to Kasumi. Talking to her was like looking into the eyes of the Ryokan's past. I loved talking to her and I didn't mind that she talked slowly because it made her seem wise.
    2) Miwako Shimizu: Is the desk clerk at the Ryokan and the youngest daughter of Kasumi. A very closed off girl and is very devoted to the Ryokan
    3) Yumi Shimizu: My personal favorite character, Yumi runs her own bento called Happy Bento. She is a memorable character in my opinion because she is very hyper. Definitely a city girl.
    4) Rentaro Aihara: Miwako's boyfriend and handyman of the Ryokan. He loves numbers (and thinks letters are lame) and is hilarious. His character had some of the best dialogue ever in my opinion. The characters all definitely had their own personalities and ways of acting. HeR really did a great job with them!

Places: 10/10
    Now the places here were pretty cool and definitely fit into the game. They Ryokan was beautiful and traditional. Also since it was the location of the hauntings, at times very creepy. I liked how you could explore the whole Ryokan with every room and the garden and you weren't restricted to just a couple rooms in the house. Yumi's apartment was really cute and really reflected her and the expo was a nice place to get away from the hauntings and enjoy the city life. I also thought the expo just looked really cool with its glass walls and ceilings and that you could see the sky scrapers and lights at night. There were two other locations, one creepy and one fun that I thought were really cool but I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise. Personally the creepy place and the expo were my favorite places to go. The locations here left you satisfied.

Music: 9/10
    The music was great! It really made the atmosphere change when a creepy song came on! You felt like something was going to pop up at you when you would turn a corner and hear that. And then there was upbeat happy music that put you in a good mood when you were having fun in the city. I think the only complaint I have about the music (ever in the history of ND) is that in this game some of the songs didn't really sound "Japanese". But all in all very good!

Plot: 10/10
    A really really good plot! You go to the Ryokan but something strange is going on! You learn that the inn is supposedly being haunted by the ghost of the the dead mother Kasumi who drowned. Now you need to figure out who is behind this mystery! I love this because of the backstory. It kinda reminded me of HAU which also had an awesome plot. Maybe it's the sad story and history behind things that makes it great! Anyway really good plot! One of the best in my opinion and the way it all folds out little by little is a great aspect of this game.

Puzzles: 8/10
    Now don't get me wrong the puzzles for this were different and interesting and some were not super hard but there was one puzzle at the end that was really hard for me and I had to use a cheat which was the only time I used it in the game, but other than that the puzzles were inventive and there were some puzzles just for fun that you only have to do a couple times and then the other times they were there for you when you wanted to do them. I like that you had a choice to do them again if you wanted instead of having to do the same puzzles a gazillion times because you had to.

Scare Factor: 9/10
    I don't do scare factor usually unless that is part of the game. Now there were about 3 really scary instances in the game out of about 5. The first one was really creepy in the way that it looked disturbing. The second was really really suspenseful and you felt like the ghost was coming after you which freaked me out and the last was the one I actually gasped at because it was a quick pop-up-in-your-face scary moment. The only reason I give this a 9/10 is because for some reason I still think CUR is scarier but let me tell you this was a scary game! I guess I was just expecting more moments of scariness and it didn't happen.

This game was definitely a really good Nancy Drew game that I think people will remember for a long time.

RECOMMEND: Yes, but if you don't like to get scared then don't play it.
    OVERALL SCORE: 9/10 (It was a great game but I really thought that last puzzle was hard and I expected even more scary, other wise it would be a 10/10)

So yep! There was my SAW review! Wow it was long but I hope you like it! Feedback and reps are appreciated! And check out my other reviews! (Links on my sig)
    My Top 5
    1) Secret of Shadow Ranch
    2) Danger on Deception Island
    3) Ghost Dogs at Moon Lake
    4) Shadow at the Waters Edge
    5) The Secret of the Scarlet Hand

I love my cats Mickey, Misty, Tommy, & Charlie!

R.I.P Candy Corn 8/10/12

i love food!

HELLO MY FELLOW NIGHT OWL! OR SHOULD I SAY HOOT HOOT!dy

<-- check out my sig shop!
    <--P. Diana <3
    <-- my DDI review!
    <-- my SHA review!
    <--my SAW review!
    <--my TMB review!

Wow Thanks!

I think your review was very informing and detailed!! Good job! I'm glad you enjoyed this game and I love being scared from nancy drew games so now I am definately going to go buy it!! So thanks again for the wonderful review!

Comment

Thank you Nancygirl1291! It means alot! I hope you like the game too!
      My Top 5
      1) Secret of Shadow Ranch
      2) Danger on Deception Island
      3) Ghost Dogs at Moon Lake
      4) Shadow at the Waters Edge
      5) The Secret of the Scarlet Hand

I love my cats Mickey, Misty, Tommy, & Charlie!

R.I.P Candy Corn 8/10/12

i love food!

HELLO MY FELLOW NIGHT OWL! OR SHOULD I SAY HOOT HOOT!dy

<-- check out my sig shop!
      <--P. Diana <3
      <-- my DDI review!
      <-- my SHA review!
      <--my SAW review!
      <--my TMB review!

Comment

Working...
      X